PDA

View Full Version : are mantis jumpers?

sharkdude
03/16/2005, 03:45 PM
is it necessary to cover an open tank with Mantis?

I just finished setting up a 20 gal acrylic plumbed into my garage coral propagation system and I want to keep it open top with a pendent for lighting.

are peacock mantis prone to jumping or escaping?

Spudstr
03/16/2005, 04:39 PM
my peacock use to go crazy .. couple times he actully did make it out of the tank! so yes! put a lid on it!

AW2EOD
03/16/2005, 05:18 PM
Yes...close the top of your tank. I lost my 6" female Peacock because she jumped out one night. I found her, the next morning, about 4 feet from the tank.

sharkdude
03/16/2005, 05:21 PM
Ok, thanks for replies. I will rig a temp lid until I can fabricate something more permanent.

EMG
03/16/2005, 05:38 PM
Cut a piece of thin plexiglass from Home Depot like I did.

sharkdude
03/16/2005, 05:42 PM
I was thinking more along lines of eggcrate to allow gas exchange while providing a physical barrier. But thin acrylic scrap would work in short term.

rwhhunt
03/16/2005, 05:45 PM
I was using a moon light to illuminate mine at night time (while in the hood such that the top was off of the tank) He seemed curious in the light and watched very attentively. I then ran y finger in front of the light casting a shadow down on him,...and He went BEZERK!! Flying out of his cave and jumped out of the water! Luckily I still had this plexiglas cover sitting over the top to keep moisture from messing up my PC bulb... He hit that and fell back in... Had it not been there, Im not sure what i would of done!! I would want to just grab him in interests of keeping my fingers intact (6 inch peacock)...

sharkdude
03/16/2005, 09:27 PM
I can just imagine how freaked out you must have been!
must have thought it was some type of predator swimming overhead?