PDA

View Full Version : removed my mantis this weekend

Salt-Reefer
03/21/2005, 04:52 PM
I had probably a 1" mantis in my 500gal that I was able to get out this weekend...so releived! I knew I had one in there because I saw it on a rock once but couldnt locate him for over 6 months. the story:

I was doing my normal weekend cleaning of the front acrylic and feeding some corals silversides and a piece of a silverside landed on a rock in about 30secs after that the little sucker comes darting out and grabs it...Sweet I found it again. Now im thinking I hope that rock will come out of the tank easily and sure enough the one rock that was on the bottom of the stack wasnt holding anything upso i grabbed it out. I put the rock over a bucket and tried getting freshwater in the area it was and nothing, so i broke off a little part of the cave he was in and out it came and landed on the floor, saying to myself I finally gotcha sucka, I then STEPPED ON HIM!!!

Just kidding, I setup a little 1 gal tank for him right now, where he's living happily for now.

Does he need a full on setup or wants the minimum that he needs to behappy and survive? right now this tank is just a glass tank with some sand and a little rock. do i need to put some sort of filtration or maybe just a air stone? Right now I have just been replacing water with my main system once or twice a day.

Now i just need to get the 3 big crabs that are left n the main tank.

sevise
03/21/2005, 07:11 PM
I setup an elipse3 for my Mantis, and tied it into my main system.

1/4" tubing brings water via gravity form the display and a 1/2 diy bulkhead drains into the sump.

floridajhawk
03/21/2005, 08:52 PM
hey ill take the mantis off your hands I have been known for this lately I have a lot of tanks setup along with my large reef that are strictly mantis only