PDA

View Full Version : cheato turning white

craab
03/22/2005, 02:12 AM
I have some cheato in the back portion of my nanocube which gets light from a 24 watt 50/50 bulb, in the past few days it has turned white in the area nearest the light. Is it too much light? or something else?

thanks in advance

Jtsky
03/22/2005, 10:28 AM
I have a similar problem. I flipped the cheato over so the side that was up is now facing down but I think that is a temperary fix. I am thinking that it is not getting enough nutrients for how long the light is on, as my light is on 24/7. Try cutting back on lighting, trimming back the cheato, or flipping it.

craab
03/23/2005, 01:09 AM
anybody else?

moggyhill
03/23/2005, 06:39 AM
It is probably bleaching. Take it out, pull it apart gently and flip it around. After you will end up with more than you know what to do with.

chuck2
04/08/2005, 10:41 PM
Could be your system has depleted available iron. Lack of iron means the new growth can't form cholorphyll. . . and won't go green. In my system, the chaeto is the first of my dozen-plus varieties of macro to show ill-effects of low iron. Hope this helps. . . Kent makes a good iron supplement. Addition may or may not 'green up' what's already bleached. . . but new growth should be fine. Hope this helps.