PDA

View Full Version : floating Tunze magnet cleaner?

gbtower
03/23/2005, 12:26 PM
I just got a pair of the cleaning magnets and didn't even consider the floating characteristics of other magnets :rolleye1:. Since I've got an acrylic tank, using a string to attach the 2 may be a little annoying. Of course, I could just attach the inner magnet to some central point at the top of the tank, but I don't want to worry about snagging on anything anyways. So, I was thinking of attaching a float to the inner magnet (small acrylic box or PVC/ABS cap). I found an older post indicating the casing is polyamide. What can I use to bond to it (superglue, PVC cement, etc.)?

Thanks,
Gerald

Fliger
03/23/2005, 12:41 PM
For the life of me I could never figure out why anyone would want a magnet that doesn't float. Obviously it's not too difficult as Tiger, Hammer, Piranha, Great White all have floaters. When a magnet falls, you MUST pick it up with an acrylic tank with your hands.

The float idea sounds good, I just wish the float was standard.

I know I added nothing. But a free bump. ;-)

rvitko
03/23/2005, 03:34 PM
I could list a couple solutions. We don't make a floating magnet yet, anything stronger than the 220.54 if floated could break glass when it snaps back together so this is the main reason we haven't done it. We sell Henkel Tangit general purpose plastic cement and it will cement PVC to the polamide plastic. I think they usually offer a general plastic cement at hardware stores with the PVC glue. What I do with my magnets is I tie them with fly fishing line, it floats and keeps the line out of your way and away from obstacles.

gbtower
03/23/2005, 04:54 PM
Fliger, honestly, I must've blanked out when I ordered these magnets. I just can't explain why I didn't think to get some floaters. Must be some subliminal marketing by Roger. That, or because this is my first acrylic tank so I didn't think about it till now.

This plastic cement looks like a slightly modified PVC cement (Henkel Tangit info (http://www.han-sanitaer.com/products/tangit_pvc_adhesive_Ubersicht/tangit_pvc_adhesive/tangit_pvc_adhesive1.htm)), so I'm gonna try that out. Thanks again Roger!

Fliger
03/23/2005, 05:01 PM
Roger had Jedi Mind Marketing. ;-)

That fly fishing line is a perfect solution. If I didn't have a floater, I would definitely do that. Of course, trying to grab that line when it's getting blown around by a bunch of Streams would be fun!

Ti
03/24/2005, 12:20 AM
epoxy some styrofoam to it.