PDA

View Full Version : biting clownfish

orcabound
04/02/2005, 12:32 PM
Here's my problem; everytime I feed my anemone my female ocellaris bites me. It wasn't a problem at first, but now I have little red welts:( on my hands. She wasn't territorial until I got the anemone, but they have no interest at all in the nem. Also my male is starting to pick up algae from their section of the tank and move it. Are they getting ready to spawn?

J8851
04/02/2005, 03:09 PM
Its just being protective, i walked into a LFS and the guy showed me to clarkiis that would non-stop attack his hand, hes lucky there was no blood they were like pirahna's!

It was crazy

Atticus
04/02/2005, 03:26 PM
I have found the best way to cure them of this is to... Bite them BACK!!! :D

bonesnreb
04/02/2005, 07:16 PM
flick then on the nose.. this worked for my gsm..after a few flicks they wont do it no more..sometimes just leave them be and it will stop

orcabound
04/02/2005, 09:36 PM
I did flick the little bugger. OH well, I guess I always knew this hobby would cost me some blood:D

TGBrown
04/03/2005, 02:32 PM
I flicked mine a couple of times in the beginning, that made it worse.

Then, I just accepted that they're doing what comes naturally to them, protecting their territory! I can't put my hand anywhere in my tank without my female ocellaris attacking it!

Isn't it great??!! :)

nick18tjetta
04/03/2005, 04:20 PM
My female gold stripe maroon draws blood on a regular basis, and she always seems to catch me when i least expect it.

Nick

orcabound
04/04/2005, 02:21 PM
My clown never surprises me, now she provides a constant barrage of attacks. I try to stay away from her, but in 29 gallons its pretty hard. She used to be such a nice, demure little clownfish :)

clownedout
04/04/2005, 05:20 PM
Hi

maybe your Clowns are visiting your anenome while you sleep. I have two perculas at work and they get very aggessive if I go near their two anenomes. Your welts may be coming from the anenome and not the fish, or the fish may have some anenome secretions on them. Try feeding them with a plastic pipet to avoid stings.

Regards

Clownedout

raoul
04/04/2005, 05:35 PM
Our female was biting for a while too! Acutally seems to have calmed down some since we got the nem. She would bite my husband all the time, but she's never attacked me so I've started doing more.
We usually have our hands in there for feeding time - we have sun corals - so she has plenty of opportunity to bite ! She even knew to bite him between his fingers, where the skin is more sensitive!! Sneaky little girl.
Before they weren't seeing the turkey baster as a food source (they would attack that too, especially hated the green topped one!) but the other night I noticed that they gently go up to it and try to take the food! They started making that association after we introduced the nem, we were feeding that and they caught on I guess.
These are such neat little critters! Glad to be in the hobby!
Alta

crazyfishlady
04/08/2005, 12:01 AM
I feed with chopsticks to avoid the wrath of my GSM female. She's vicious. ;)

crazyfingersmike
04/30/2006, 04:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=4679760#post4679760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raoul
She even knew to bite him between his fingers, where the skin is more sensitive!! Sneaky little girl.

That's exactly what mine's been doing to me!

I've been sticking my hand in to drop pellets near the hole that my watchman goby hides out inside, because my clown is so agressive, she gets all the pellets before they fall down, and the goby is too skittish when I'm near the tank.

What's weird is that I've had her for 2 1/2 years, and she's only started biting me in the past 2 weeks. But it's constant now. :(

4MB
04/30/2006, 06:45 PM
Im new and have only had clownfish for almost 2 weeks. I have both of them eating out of my hand. Also if I stick just my hand in there with no food they just swim around and nip my fingers trying to get something. They are both real small 3/4" and 1/2" so they are no threat at all. Should I continue to do that or find another way to feed them? Im hoping that they just get use to me because its fun to actually interact with them.

crazyfingersmike
04/30/2006, 07:57 PM
Well, like I said, I had my clown for over 2 years before she started biting me. She would always swim up to my hand, even let me cup my hand around her, and eat from my hand.

Then all of the sudden, BAM! Ouch! :(