PDA

View Full Version : QUestion about your Wolf Bleeny Article

Jeremy Blaze
04/05/2005, 08:49 AM
I have heard before as you have also stated, the Wolf Eel Blenny, is sexually dichromatic.

However, in Scott Michaels Book,

Basslets, Dottybacks & Hawkfishes: Plus Seven More Aquarium Fish Families with Expert Captive Care Advice for the Marine Aquarist

He states that this does not seem to be true.

What are your thoughts on this?

oceanarus
04/05/2005, 10:48 AM
First of all I am not any sort of expert on marine fish and any views/observations/opinions expressed in that article are just that.

With that said, every pair of wolf eel blennies I have seen in person or in pictures, the male is green and the female is brown with a pinkish hue.

Alan Drehmel

FMarini
04/05/2005, 11:02 AM
Jeremy-
I've seen that section in Scotts book. I'm not sure what to say in this regards, except that many of the female Wolf eels I've seen have been brownish-some even have pink to them. The males have always been green, lighter or darker but green.
According to a few references. The fish can change color, althou not fully, and these fish are probably not protogynous hermaphrodite. Suggesting that they stay sexed
So....my comments are I've seen green males and brown females, and apparently Scott has seen other
not sure if that helps
frank

Jeremy Blaze
04/05/2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks. The fact that you have had success and have seen pairs with the coloration as stated is very good to know.

Gerard Alba
04/05/2005, 05:18 PM
Congrats, inspiring story...
(junior)
Thanks for sharing.