PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting one...

Rakie
04/23/2005, 09:35 AM
Ok, well, I have been thinking of turning my 10g reef into, a mantis tank... I've been reading into it, and watching "Matis VS. _____" videos (Impressive!) and I know I can pick some up from a local LFS for like $40, they have two Smasher Peacocks, One is around 3" and the other is probably 4.5". So my question...

How would I set up the tank? How often would I do a water change? Should I put in a bunch of rubble rock, on top of a PVC section?

I've seen lots of pics of mantis tanks, and they look really "Dirty" for the most part, So I imagine that water changes are few and far between?

Thanks.

Bugs825
04/23/2005, 11:23 AM
A 10 gallon is far too small for a Peacock. They can get a foot long and can break a 10 gallon tank very easy.

Nathan

Uriel
04/23/2005, 12:19 PM
I agree that 10 gallons (glass) is a bad idead for am O. Scyllarus, mine does just fine in a 12 gallon Eclipse. He is 3.5" long, btw. He even swims around from time to time, with plenty of room.

I am going to be moving him into a 20 gallon section of my Mantis Hotel in the not-too-distant furute, as well.

-Ron

Rakie
04/23/2005, 04:09 PM
Well, I've seen lots of mantis kept in smaller tanks (2.5g, 5g, 7g mini bow, 10g) What species would you suggest to put in a 10g tank?

Uriel
04/23/2005, 04:44 PM
I have a 3.5" Peacock in a 12 gallon.
I have a 3.5-4" G. Ternatensis in a 12 gallon.
I have a 2.5" or so G. Viridis in a 6 gallon.
I have a 3" G. Chiraga in a 6 gallon.
I have a 3" G. Platysoma in a 6 gallon.
I have a 2" N. Wennerae in a 1.5 gallon hex (moving him to a 5 gallon hex monday or tuesday.

All seem quite content, some swim around, some prefer to hang out in their burrows/caves. The N. Wenn likes to swim to the top and watch the cats watching the mantis shrimp...

Hope that helps.

-Ron

Rakie
04/23/2005, 05:47 PM
Thank you, it does help.

I'm just looking for a small species that would be an interesting critter to have.

Any suggestions? It doesnt have to be pretty :D

Jacob D
04/23/2005, 11:50 PM
I had a G. chiragra that was very entertaining. I have another small smasher now not sure of the ID though. If/when you do get one please keep up the water changes, they are living creatures and need a suitable environment to live in.

Bugs825
04/24/2005, 02:54 AM
I have a N. Wennerae and he is very cool. His name is Choop for "El Chupacabra"

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/3864/73180mini-Choop2.jpg

I have him in a 10 gallon with a giant turbo and 2 big red leg hermits. He does great and is very happy. Here is his tank with 99% DIY oystercrete rock.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/3864/73180MantisFull.JPG

Nathan

Rakie
04/24/2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by mothra
I had a G. chiragra that was very entertaining. I have another small smasher now not sure of the ID though. If/when you do get one please keep up the water changes, they are living creatures and need a suitable environment to live in.

I do a 25% wc twice a week, and I wouldnt change it for the mantis, I was just wondering, and after thinking about it, I assume the tanks look "Dirty" because they REALLY stir up the sand bed.

pisces77
04/25/2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Jean-yus
I assume the tanks look "Dirty" because they REALLY stir up the sand bed.

Well and the fact that they eat the clean-up crew. :rollface:

Also keep in mind that some people let their tanks go a little more than others do.

sharkdude
04/25/2005, 03:37 PM
I'd be happy to show off my 20 gal setup for Batou, my 5 inch peacock.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=566213

I'm in GG, near brookhurst and Katella.

Rakie
04/25/2005, 06:21 PM
Sharkdude, I will have to come by some time and check out your prop system and your mantis tank when I get some free time from school/work... parties... :rolleyes: lol, but I will check it out some time.