PDA

View Full Version : Growing Algaes in FO tank?'s

inklvr
04/29/2005, 12:19 PM
This tank is going to be 90g, 1 trigger (will be the only fish in tank), LR, barebottom. I was going to put a refugium in sump, but after thinking about it more, couldn't algae just be grown in the tank. I won't have any clean up crew or corals. So help with nitrates is a must. Is there certain algae that will help with nitrates, grow on the rocks, can control with pulling out or pruning, and will look cool. With only lr it will be kinda bare looking. I don't mind haveing to prune or pull out to control it. I just have no idea about "good" algae to put into main tank. Also any that a yellow tang would eat would be great.

If anyone has any suggestions, and also any pics, please help. I'm currently setting up sump, and if I don't have to add a refuge in there it would be great.

Thanx!

kmk2307
05/01/2005, 11:46 AM
Hi inklvr,

The trigger won't bother the algae and it should be fine in the display tank given you provide it with enought light. Grape Caulerpa (Caulerpa lentillifera or Caulerpa racemosa) would both be good choices which love nitrates, can grow under moderate lighting, and is eaten by some yellow tangs. My YT ate it, I've heard others say their YT did not eat it. Just be sure you provide enough light. On a 55 gallon tank I think you would need around 80 watts of light (such as 2, 48" NO fluorescent light bulbs).

HTH,
Kevin

inklvr
05/03/2005, 10:12 AM
Thank you for the info.

plaz
05/06/2005, 03:07 PM
Grape Caulerpa will take over your main tank and will be really difficult to manage.

The best macro for tangs is Red Gracilaria - they all love it and it is very nutricious. Strong light and very, very strong water movement are needed for it. Anything the tank likes should be grown in the refugium - because if they like it, and they can, they will eat it all.

piercho
05/13/2005, 02:44 PM
I don't think that he cares if its an aggressive algae. Alga that grow fast, are easily harvestable, and resist filamentous overgrowth would be preferred.

One thing I'm assuming is that you will be using effective lighting, at least over a portion of the tank where you want the macro to grow well.

Caulerpa and Sargassum are two fairly common and fast growing alga. Sargassum can look pretty cool growing up from the rock to the top of the tank. Both resist grazing and overgrowth well.

This time of year, Inland Aquatics mails 5 different alga in a mailing tube for a reasonable price ($30 plus shipping). Look under their refugia starter kit. There are in Terra Haute, Indiana, not too far from you.: http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/tr_invert.html