PDA

View Full Version : Mimic Octopus

DaRtFrOg
01/22/2002, 06:25 PM
Does anyone have expireince with this octopus? If you do what size tank do you have it in and is its care similar to other octopus?
Is $125 too expensive for this octopus? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

coralite
01/27/2002, 10:59 PM
hey cephalopoder,

I know your gonna cry when your baby gives. That is one sweet mollusc. I've had a few octopus, 3 common, 1 "starry" caribbean and a fiji cuttlefish.
I've planned to get another octopus when i can provide a coolwater system to prolong its life but if i can get ahold of a mimic, it's on.

cephalopoder
01/31/2002, 08:52 PM
Well if you get a mimic, you'll be a lucky man! Why do you want a chiller? Most octos will do great in the low 70s. My mimic prefers 80. You don't need a lot of lighting so that helps to keep the temp down. Most species live only a year. If you have one for 8-9 months you are doing great because they are usually a few months old when you get them. Some species only live 6 months. But if you do get a chiller it would be interesting to experiment at mid 60s.

coralite
02/01/2002, 12:23 AM
I would get a chiller to cool the water silly! J/K
Colder water, slower metabolism, longer lifespan.
Ideal for deeper water caribbean starry. You know where i can find any info on them? scientific name slips me.

cephalopoder
02/01/2002, 06:43 AM
I don't know of any species under the common name of deeper water caribbean starry. O. briareus , however is the common carribean reef octopus found for sale quite often. A supplier in florida or that area should be able to locate you one. They are quite common. Octomonkey has some nice pics of his posted on this list some where. The only species that fits a starry description is one from the O.macropus complex. They are a red long armed octopus with white spots.
They are a sand dwelling night active species and very rare to find for sale any where. I got one a few years ago and was considerd a very very lucky find. I have not heard of any one comming across once since. If you ant a cool octopus get a O. bimaculoides. In my opinion, they are the best octopus to keep.

OctoMonkey
02/01/2002, 01:36 PM
Oh my kingdom for a bimac.....

Thats what ive been asking for over here. Instead they keep shipping me vulgaris, well what they think is vulgaris anyway!!!!

so far no vulgaris and 3 different species!

starry octo...... o. luteus?

Colin

cephalopoder
02/01/2002, 02:12 PM
I don't have my book handy but I think Mark N lists a starry night octo, is that O.luteus.? I will have to check later. Good thinking Colin.
I did find a pic of one though on the web. It looks like a Macropus. http://www.reefimages.com/Squid/Squid1.htm

Well when your get a bimac Colin, you will be delighted. But some times it just as fun to get surprises.
chris

OctoMonkey
02/01/2002, 02:24 PM
To be honest i did flick through the book and that is the only one i could see :)

So far my surprises have all been okay, well, i am still a bit bummed that briareus was gravid but it gives me the chance to see if i can rear the babies.

My "long armed" octo is finally dead. Went through the faze of going bumpy, refusing food and all. I asked the wholesaler i got it from and they said they had it for 3 months! I suppose it was old age because I had it three months too...

You never can tell about the age can you? especially for an unusual octo. Any idea on longevity for mimic? how long have you had yours now? Not taht i want to be a jinx..... sorry

coralite
02/01/2002, 02:29 PM
I didnt see it in that page. The "starry" octopus, as ive come to call it, is a light bluish color w/ very long arms and a variable starry pattern produced by the arrangement of the iridophores, not so much a marking. It does have the ocelli but i forget what was unique about them.

cephalopoder
02/01/2002, 02:30 PM
Gee thanks Colin curse me why don't you lol.. just kidding.
I have had the Mimic 4 monts going on 5. Still eating and seems to be doing ok.
I wouldn't be bummed about the eggs dude.. I would be psyched!!!!!

coralite
02/01/2002, 02:48 PM
I thought octopus were quasi impossible to rear?

cephalopoder
02/01/2002, 03:47 PM
If you have a small egg laying species like O. vulgaris, then it is next to impossibe to raise the young. The offspring will hatch into planktonic young. However, if you have a large egg laying species like O.briareus, or O. bimaculoides then the young will hatch into benthic young. Fully formed tiny versions of the adults and can be reared.

OctoMonkey
02/01/2002, 04:24 PM
About the eggs...............
tonight i took some pics of the cuttles feeding for mike, I also got a couple of mpg of the briarues fanning the eggs. I have sent them to Tony so i hope they will be on WWW.Tonmo.com next week. I am pretty cool about the eggs but I aint holding my breath*gasp*
Chris, i will post pics of my chamber next week when its finished, the eggs havnt flipped yet

cephalopoder
02/03/2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by aquafresh
I didnt see it in that page. The "starry" octopus, as ive come to call it, is a light bluish color w/ very long arms and a variable starry pattern produced by the arrangement of the iridophores, not so much a marking. It does have the ocelli but i forget what was unique about them.

Well with the exception of the ocelli, sounds like a dead ringer to me for a O.briareus! Here is a quote from the ceph would guide for O.briareus. "This distinctive octopus is easily recognised by the large bulging eyes, very deep almost transparent webs and the blue-green iridescent sheen caused by reflective cells scatterd throughout the skin (iridophores)" Its is also mentioned as a long arm octopus.

coralite
02/04/2002, 06:45 PM
Cool. Can you refer me to a pic?

davelin315
02/04/2002, 10:51 PM
That's a great octopus you've got there. I saw one about 8 years ago for sale for $80 at Old Town Aquarium in Chicago. It was the neatest thing I've ever seen in the hobby, mainly because it was slightly larger than a blue ring, and it didn't come with the disclaimer that when it bit you and you died, the store wasn't responsible. I didn't buy it then, and have regretted it ever since, moreso since I have yet to see another one. Do you know what their lifespan is? The one I saw was fairly small, about 2x the size of an adult blue ring, although it's tentacles were much longer than a blue rings. How big do they get? Anyway, good luck with continued health, it's an incredible octopus that I wish there were more of available, although, from what you say, I guess I should count myself lucky to have seen one at all.