PDA

View Full Version : Wierd clam retraction, or what the heck is going on?

cloudancer
05/03/2005, 02:29 PM
I came home from work today to find one of my clams retracted into his shell like he does when you take him out of the water or otherwise disturb him a great deal. Given nothing else in the tank was showing any stress and it was midway through the "high" light part of my cycle I was more than a little puzzled. After a couple hours I'm really puzzled. I've picked him up to check for any changes or something on his underside, nothing. He wasn't "loose" or weak in the shell, pinched or an unusual color. He does react to light/movement by retracting a little more.

The only change in the tank was that my GF moved him about 4 inches over the weekend because he was starting to shade another clam (they "climb" on top of each other and have to be separated every couple weeks). Anybody ever see anything like this? I've heard of of corals that do weird things but not anything like this from a giant clam.

BTW I've had him for 9 months without problems, he is probably about 6-8" long. He is about 14" under water with a 10k-250DE about 6" above the water.

mbbuna
05/03/2005, 07:16 PM
got pic's?

cloudancer
05/03/2005, 07:47 PM
No Pics tonight, but I figured out the problem while eating supper and watching the tank from far away. My formerly peaceful yellow tang has apparently picked up a taste for blue clam :(... The damage isn't too bad as the clam is in good shape and closes right up before the tang does much damage, but its not exactly a situation I want to put up with.

So I suppose the new question is: Is he likely to stop? and oh my catching him will be a chore if he doesn't.

cloudancer
05/03/2005, 07:49 PM
I just realized my choice of words wasn't real clear. The tang is nipping at the clam and has managed to tear a couple small pieces out of one side of his mantle.

E-A-G-L-E-S
05/03/2005, 07:53 PM
time to choose(IMHO)
yt or clam ?????

cloudancer
05/03/2005, 08:12 PM
no question... the clam, but I'm NOT looking forward to the tang extraction

Snprhed
05/04/2005, 04:10 PM
starve the tang for a day, and cut a hole in the top of a 2 litre clear plastic soda bottle. (on the side of the top) Tie fishing line around the neck. Put some nice frozen type food in the bottom (thawed). Then slowly sink it and take a couple steps back. At first he will be apprehensive but after he finds the hole and goes to the bottom, just quickly pull it up. It works great for me.

cloudancer
05/05/2005, 08:06 PM
Snprhed, Worked like a charm. Took a while, but it was by FAR the easiest fish extration I've made. Thanks a LOT for the tip.

The yellow fiend is now very full, but safely in the quarenteen until he can make the trip to the LFS this weekend. I hate to see him go, but ...