PDA

View Full Version : ACIII Pro and email

thetedinator
05/06/2005, 01:56 PM
Curt,

I am trying to set up my ACIII Pro to email me when there are alarms. What should I put into the "SMTP Server", "Email From" and "Email To" fields so that I receive an email notification if there is an alarm? I have version 3.00 of the owner's manual and it doesn't have the setup for these fields.

Thanks,

Ted

jacob30
05/06/2005, 06:37 PM
I am also interested in setting this up. I have made an attempt but with no success. I guess e-mail like yahoo and hotmail will not work is that correct?

What are people using that works for the SMTP setting?

johnmaag
05/08/2005, 11:42 AM
SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transport Protocol. Basically it is a machine that can send and receive mail.

This will have to be your internet providers system. The "Email From" does not matter but will be used for spam checking. I would use your own email address and then your email address where you want to receive them would go into "Email to".

I want to qualify I do not own this unit but am an expert in email servers, etc.

thetedinator
05/08/2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by johnmaag
SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transport Protocol. Basically it is a machine that can send and receive mail.

This will have to be your internet providers system. The "Email From" does not matter but will be used for spam checking. I would use your own email address and then your email address where you want to receive them would go into "Email to".

I want to qualify I do not own this unit but am an expert in email servers, etc.

The issue is authentication. I can put in my ISP SMTP server and my email address but not a password so the authentication fails. The ISP will not accept the "send" request without authentication. Yahoo is the same way.

johnmaag
05/08/2005, 12:43 PM
You are thinking of a pop client. When you read your email, you login. Emails servers, however do not use authntication. This is why there is so much spam.

You would have entered this when you set up your email account.

In Outlook. Go under Tools -> Accounts -> Choose Mail tab.

Cick on the mail account you have and choose properties. Under properties, choose the "Servers" tab and under there is a textfield labeled "Outgoing mail (SMTP). This is the server you want.

To test it out, do a telnet servername 25. SMTP servers listen on port 25

thetedinator
05/08/2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by johnmaag
You are thinking of a pop client. When you read your email, you login. Emails servers, however do not use authntication. This is why there is so much spam.

You would have entered this when you set up your email account.

In Outlook. Go under Tools -> Accounts -> Choose Mail tab.

Cick on the mail account you have and choose properties. Under properties, choose the "Servers" tab and under there is a textfield labeled "Outgoing mail (SMTP). This is the server you want.

To test it out, do a telnet servername 25. SMTP servers listen on port 25

I am familiar with both pop and smtp. And if you look under the "Outgoing mail" you will see a little check box for "My Server Requires Authentication". Both Comcast and Yahoo provide my "outgoing SMTP" servers. And both require authentication or they will not accept outbound email. To prevent SPAM. That authentication is my email password.

clp
05/08/2005, 05:16 PM
The Aqua3Pro currently does not support out going email authentication. It is on the list of future enhancements to the controller.

Curt

jacob30
05/09/2005, 04:34 AM
What e-mail servers do not need outgoing e-mail authentication?

johnmaag
05/09/2005, 07:47 AM
I have never seen an email server that required outgoing authentication but I guess I have never worked with big ones like yahoo, etc.

Moreover, I have never seen the option to set it up but again I have only worked with sendmail.

dougc
05/09/2005, 08:15 AM
Many providers now require authentication for outbound email. In fact, SBC and Earthlink both go a step further by requiring that you use only their SMTP servers for outbound email. They block port 25 unless it goes to their servers.

johnmaag
05/09/2005, 08:20 AM
Guys, this is BS. I just realized I have a linux system and I forward my mail to a yahoo mail account. I do not have to authenticate.

Moreover, I just connected to this system with no password.

What made me try this is the comment about sbc. I am under SBC and I can access port 25 anywhere.

Joboo
05/11/2005, 01:34 PM
Johnmaag,

I have SBC Yahoo and Port 25 is blocked outgoing. The only way you can send email is through SBC Authenticated SMTP servers. If you would like to send via another smtp via port 25 you need to fill out this form:

http://help.sbcglobal.net/servabuse.php

You need to choose the opt out port 25 option in the list. This will allow you to freely access port 25(outgoing) so you send mail via another smtp server. This service is new and the reason you are not affected by it is probably because it have not hit your area yet. Don't be surprised if one day you can't send via your own smtp server as all of SBC yahoo's network will soon block port 25 outgoing.

Since SBC SMTP servers require password authentication and Aquanotes/ACIII does not have the ability to send password authentication I had to relay mail through a third party service such as Bortnet (http://www.bortnet.com). This service only needs email address field to authenticate and then mail will go out. Most ISP's are starting to block port 25 outgoing and by the end of the year a good majority will follow the practices of SBC. Its a PIA but does help with spam and bulk email.

johnmaag
05/11/2005, 01:48 PM
That is probably it John. I had not considered that it may have just not hit my area yet.

simon.007
06/04/2005, 08:08 PM
I just got my new AQIII and cannot send SMTP notification. Any solution yet?

Joboo
06/05/2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by simon.007
I just got my new AQIII and cannot send SMTP notification. Any solution yet?

Who is your ISP?

dougc
06/06/2005, 04:48 PM
We have locations all over the country using SBC and the implementation of the port blocking has happened piecemeal. In fact, the first time it happened, it took a while to figure out why our email was not going out.

When it strikes one of our locations, we fill out the form referenced above so that we can route outgoing mail through our own servers.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Earthlink does the same thing, at least with their dialup accounts. We have never pursued whether they have an opt-out policy because we only have a handful of accounts with them.

simon.007
06/07/2005, 02:28 PM
COX

smtp.west.cox.net

Joboo
06/07/2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by simon.007
COX

smtp.west.cox.net

First thing to check is if Cox blocks outgoing smtp other than their own servers. To check this do the following:

I'm assuming you have xp or windows 2000??

1)click start button and select "Run"

2)in the open box type cmd and hit the "OK" button.

3)you will now have a black window with a blinking cursor.

4)type the following exactly(including spaces) without the qoutes:
"telnet smtp.bortnet.net 25" and hit the enter key

If your ISP does not block outgoing smtp traffic you will see this:

"220 mail.bortnet.com ESMTP Postfix"
This is good and means that a local smtp server or a remote smtp server that does not require password authentication can be used. If this is the case then reply back and I can help with setting you up with a remote SMTP server

If it does block you will see a "Could not open connection to host message.

If you see above message then you will have to contact your ISP to see if there is a way to unblock outgoing SMTP traffic

Hope this helps!

simon.007
06/07/2005, 08:14 PM
I got
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>telnet smtp.bortnet.net 25
Connecting To smtp.bortnet.net...Could not open a connection to host on port 25 : Connect failed"

I install a program "Free SMTP Server" and can send SMTP via my Win 2000. How are they doing it with the program and how do I get it to work with ACIII? :)

Thanks!

simon.007
06/09/2005, 10:13 AM
I asked my email admin at work and now I am trying to create an SMTP server at home and send email to my server who will forward it to the SMTP cox server. I hope this works.

kb27973
06/19/2005, 12:38 PM
So let me see if I have this straight. If I do the above test and get back:

Connecting To smtp.comcast.net...Could not open a connection to host on port 25
: Connect failed

Then that means I cannot use my Aquacontroller (Aquanotes v3) to get email notifications?

That would be a real drag....

Thanks,
Ken

Joboo
06/19/2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by kb27973
So let me see if I have this straight. If I do the above test and get back:

Connecting To smtp.comcast.net...Could not open a connection to host on port 25
: Connect failed

Then that means I cannot use my Aquacontroller (Aquanotes v3) to get email notifications?

That would be a real drag....

Thanks,
Ken

If your ISP requires password authentication then you can't send email via your ISP because the AQ unit does not use password authentication. SO the next option is to either send mail through another mail server(third party, your own) that doesn't require password authentication. The above test just confirms whether your ISP blocks port 25 which would affect sending mail via your own mail server or another mail server outside your ISP's network.

kb27973
06/20/2005, 05:19 AM
Danke sehr!

wfgworks
08/05/2005, 08:36 AM
Jaboo

I did the test an my ISP doesnt block port 25.

I'm trying to get my AIII PRO to send Alerts to my cell phone.

I'm able to do this through Aquanotes but not my AQIII PRO

clp
08/05/2005, 10:15 AM
See http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=5452911#post5452911.

Curt