PDA

View Full Version : Cable for AQI to Computer

wfgworks
05/16/2005, 09:08 PM
Can I buy this cable at Radio Shack or a computer store?

If so, does the cable have a specific name/generic name?

North Bay 101
05/16/2005, 09:25 PM
It is a mini8 din plug to a db9 serial cable. You will have to make it yourself or buy it from Neptune Systems. If you make it yourself you can hook up the internal switch option.

wfgworks
05/16/2005, 09:33 PM
North Bay 101

I need some help in understanding how the aquacontroller communicates with everything.

I thought it says in the manual that the cable can be purchased in computer stores?

I have my lights pluged upstairs with the tank under my stand with its own seperate oulet. The rest of my equipment is in the basement on a seperate outlet. I did 2 different outlets so if the lights ever tripped, it wouldnt shut down my pumps.

How will my lights communicate with the Aquacontroller if I have the Aquacontroller downstairs?
Do I have to have everything on one outlet?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time using the Aquacontroller and I'm a little confused so any advice on setting it up would be alot of help.

North Bay 101
05/16/2005, 10:51 PM
The controller interface will communicate with your x-10 modules as long as they are on the same "leg" of your home electrical system. Some houses are 110 coming in and there won't be a problem there. The problem comes in when your panel is 220 and you have 2 110 "legs" in the panel. The interface will communicate on one side but not both. You can get around this buying a bridging module.

The serial cable can be bought at any computer store but trying to find a mini 8din cable will be a bugger.

No problem with the questions. You can PM me anytime. I like this sytem and most problems can be resolved.

vanburen
05/17/2005, 08:38 PM
I have my ACII downstairs and the lights controlled upstairs. No problem.

wfgworks
05/20/2005, 07:24 PM
Ok, I got the cable to connect my PC to my Aquacontroller but I have a problem. The end that connects to my PC cant plug into the back of my computer because the back of my computer is a female connection. I need the end of the cable to have PINS (I guess thats a male connector).

Did I order the wrong cable? My laptop is brand new and its a Toshiba so I dont understand what I'm suppose to do.

Some help PLEASE

vanburen
05/21/2005, 08:04 AM
Are you sure you are plugging into the serial port rather than the vga port?

wfgworks
05/21/2005, 08:26 AM
Vanburen

I'm pretty sure because my laptop doesnt have any other possible areas to connect too.

Is their an adapter that I can buy to make it compatible?

wfgworks
05/21/2005, 08:28 AM
This is a link to view photos in the upper right hand corner below the picture of the laptop computer. Click on the link to view the back of the laptop.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6981082&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01174&id=1099388214527

clp
05/21/2005, 09:59 AM
For the link you sent, it looks like your laptop doesn't have a serial port. You'll need to get a USB to serial adapter. I personally use an iogear USB to serial adapter it has no problems.

Curt

wfgworks
05/21/2005, 12:26 PM
Curt

Thanks, went an got the cable.

Can the PH, ORP and Temp probes be kept in the overflow box of the AGA tanks?

I would like to keep the Aquacontroller upstairs where my tank is. All my other equipment is the basement. Just didnt know if you suggested keeping the probes in a sump vs overflow box?

wfgworks
05/21/2005, 03:43 PM
One more thing.

I have been trying to get my AQI to communicate with my computer and it keeps saying Aquacontroller not responding. Since I'm connecting through a USB, do I need to configure something different?

clp
05/21/2005, 05:28 PM
For AquaNotes support please send an email to [email protected] Include your name, phone #, and 12 authorization code for AquaNotes (found in the help->about AquaNotes window).

Curt