PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove in 6 gal Nanocube?

Cody Ray
06/01/2005, 01:47 PM
I know mangroves are not the fastest growing plant, but how much should I worry about it? I have visions of the roots breaking through the glass and what not. Then it starts talking to me, telling me to feed him, oh wait, back that up . Anyway, I don't want it as any sort of filter, just as a nice contrast to coral and liverock, so I would float it until I could raise a good portion of it and the roots out of the water.

waterdog1
06/15/2005, 09:05 PM
I have on in my 50g. Its sending out prop roots. I grown sooooo slowly. Dont worry, the roots will mold to the tank. you will be old and grey before it gets that big anyway;)

waterdog1
06/21/2005, 06:41 PM
I have 2 mangroves, they grow so insanly slow they could never be used for N export in the aquarium. To be honest they take a long time before they even grow attractive prop roots. I collected mine at my parents beach(I dont think that is illegal) but they can be as much as 15 bucks per pod retail :eek1: :eek1:

MangroveCoral
06/30/2005, 01:21 AM
If you go to ebay and type "red mangroves", you can get 22 mangroves (yes, 22!) for $6.99. I got mine from him a year ago. These mangroves weren't seedlings...they had leaves and roots already! I think this guy lives in Hawaii and harvest them regularly.

Anyway, as nutrient exporters/filtration, you have to be VERY patient. I have a 180 gallon tank and wanted to do the natural approach to filtration. So I put 22 mangroves in my sump. Took about 3 months before my nitrate/phosphate level went to zero. I don't have a protein skimmer, so you can imagine what my tank looked like for the first 3 months...HAIRY ALGAE heaven. With plenty of live rocks and matured mangrove root system, I took out the blue bioballs (where bacteria can cause more nitrates).

It's been over a year now. I have soft corals and lots of goniorporas. And they're doing great.

More information about mangroves at:
http://www.athiel.com/lib10/mangrove9.htm