PDA

View Full Version : Trade in on 6000 transformer?

Flighty
06/07/2005, 07:24 PM
Is there a way to trade in the 6000 transformer for a 6100? I have a 120g room divider with 2 6000s mounted on the same small end of the tank. With a magnifica anemone in the tank I'm looking for super high, chaotic flow. I have all dials set to %100 on an interval of 4 seconds or so. This gives a nice chaotic flow, but it just isn't as strong as I am looking for.

If I get the 6100 transformers, can I trade in the 6000 ones for a credit or something?

Any other pointers on settings I should try for the 7095 controller?

By the way I was having a hard time with the pumps slipping out of place and putting a bit of credit card between the pump and the swivel part works like a charm even though the teeth are probably a bit worn from jumping the track so many times.

Flighty
06/07/2005, 07:27 PM
Here is the post from this forum with a diagram of the tank and where the pumps sit if anyone doesn't understand my mangled explanation :)
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=518073

rvitko
06/08/2005, 09:28 AM
I have almost no need for the smaller transformers, you can maybe find someone to trade but it costs no more to upgrade a 6000 to a 6100 than if you bought the 6100 to begin with. You would get a more chaotic flow with a pulse of 3 seconds. Use Interval 2 so one pump idels and the other pulses and set the pulse at 50% and 100%. I would also change the interval to 1 hr.

Flighty
06/08/2005, 11:02 AM
I don't think I worded my current setting well.

Since the pumps are blowing nearly the same direction (both mounted on the same short end of the tank) The setting you suggest doesn't give a very chaotic flow at all.

The exact setting I use now is:

(MAX) interval 1

(close to MIN) 1-60 seconds

(%100) (%100)

(%100) (%100)

This results in the first pump comming on %100 for about 3 seconds, then turning off while the second one comes on %100 then turns off. The real chaos comes in when that strong blast of water comes out of the pump. It swirls out making several vorticies and even a pressure wave on the surface.

If the water is already moving in that direction (say if the pump goes from %30 to %100) you don't get that swirling.

Is this setting ok to run long term for the pumps?

rvitko
06/08/2005, 11:18 AM
Yes but with all settings at 100% it is not much different from an off and on wavemaker. It may not look more turbulent but when fast and slow water collide you get a broader wave form. Interval 2 would also run both pumps so you would have more flow, interval 1 is only running one at a time. Longer intervals I think are better for the pump but the short ones really shouldn't do any damage but I would suspect the drive units won't last as long as they could in a longer interval.

Flighty
06/08/2005, 11:29 AM
Interval 2 wouldn't turn them off completely though, would it? It seems to be the blast into still water that gets the swirl.

Now if I could get the timing to mach the resonance of the tank that would be the best.:rollface:

I don't think the wavebox would work in my tank because it is just a 4 footer and the overflow on the end takes up 6+ inches, so that is effectively a 3.5 footer and too small, right?

rvitko
06/08/2005, 11:34 AM
No, interval two runs one pump at idle (30%) while the other pulses. My tank is a 75 and I get a 3/4" wave from the wavebox.

Flighty
06/08/2005, 11:54 AM
A wavebox would work with this setup?? I know it works on a 4' tank, but I thought the large overflow box would make mine too short.

Here is a diagram looking down and looking from the side just to be sure we're on the same page. The purple blob is the placement of the Magnifica, brown is rockwork and corals, the overflow is about 12"x6"
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/56032tank.JPG

I don't know if I really want to know. It might cause some marital strife if I tell my husband that there is another essential expensive piece of equipment we should get.

rvitko
06/08/2005, 12:18 PM
It might be too much equipment visible, try upgrading the transformers first and see what you think.