PDA

View Full Version : Stream 6100 driver overheating - broken...

whimplet
06/09/2005, 10:00 AM
I'm having bad luck with Stream products! :(

Roger,
I purchased a Stream 6100 and the wavebox together (and also the 7095 controller).

I've already asked you about the wavebox - I'll update about that in my other thread.

This thread is for my Stream. I noticed tonight while added more LR that it wasn't running anymore.

Checked the connections, all was fine. The driver was REALLY hot, nearly searing my fingers when I touched it.

Unplugged everything, let it cool off, when I plug it back in, nothing happens. Hooked the stream to the other driver (which was connected to the wave box) and the stream works.

Hooked the stream transformer to the wavebox driver and the stream works.

Verdict is that the Stream controller isn't working. When I connect it to the transformer it starts to heat up SUPER fast, and even the transformer it was hooked to, while still working is now 'bulging' in the base like it is going to melt through the bottom of the casing.

I'm going to contact my LFS tomorrow and see what they need me to do to return and exchange it, but have you heard of this happening before?

rvitko
06/09/2005, 10:16 AM
I don't think it is the controller, this would be caused by a driver failure. It does happen, normally this is caused by the pump jamming or a power surge, the driver then overdraws the transformer capacity and it overheats, it shuts off at 100C which is still hot enough to deform the plastic. The heat is from the transistors that are using the aluminum box as a heat sink. What is the Voltage and Hz in Malaysia?

whimplet
06/09/2005, 10:17 AM
Read another recent thread and sounds like this overheating thing is common. I don't have the part number of the driver with me, but I am pretty sure this is the new style driver, the date stamped on the inside of the driver is (i think) April 2005

Hope my LFS has replacements!

whimplet
06/09/2005, 10:22 AM
Wow that's a quick reply.

I think the official voltage is 230v and 50hz. But stuff typically is rated at 220~240v and 50~60hz

There's nothing in this tank yet, just put in the LR yesterday so don't think anything could have jammed the stream/pump. When I hooked it to the other driver, it fired up right away.

Another question if I may. I have the stream mounted to the magnet. I see that the 6200 comes with a screw to hold it in place, but don't think the 6100 comes with a screw. My stream is on the end and moves automatically to point towards the glass rather than the center of the tank, if I turn it any other direction it moves itself there. Where can I get the 6200 screw?

rvitko
06/09/2005, 10:37 AM
You would need the screw and the threaded 6080.23. Tunze.com would be a good source, just be sure to order from other countries or Germany so they get the email in Germany, otherwise they are auto forwarded to me or the distributor in that country. It sounds like a defect. It hapens sometimes that they don't get good contact between the transistors and the aluminum body. It is strange though as an April 2005 unit should have the latest fast cut off circuitry to prevent such an over heat, now the alarm kicks in in under 2 seconds and cuts power so they are extremely sensitive.

whimplet
06/09/2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks again for the prompt reply's.

Really appreciate your excellent customer service! :thumbsup:

I'll follow up based on your advice, and report back when I have some updates or an outcome.

Cheers,
Matt

rvitko
06/09/2005, 11:39 AM
The threaded piece would be 6200.23.