PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Curing Salt Substitute

robwsup
06/12/2005, 02:17 PM
Randy,
I buy/sell about 200-400lbs of live rock a week. Because of this, I am always receiving about the same in uncured rock each week. Besides heavy protein skimming, a large caulerpa sump, and large wet/dry filter, we do many water changes during the curing process.

Even at "wholesale" prices, the cost of salt for several water changes a week is killing me.

Is there a chance that I could use plain water softener salt. I could buffer it with Sodium Bicarbonate, and use CaCl to bring up Alk and Calcium to NSW levels, or not.

I would just be using this to do daily water changes on live rock.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/12/2005, 03:50 PM
I haven't worked out exact amounts, but yes, you can probaly use a mixture of water softener sodium chloride and Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and then calcium and a buffer. :)

robwsup
06/12/2005, 04:06 PM
Any idea how much ,in cups, of baking soda, Dowflake, and epsom salts I would need to add, to say 50 gallons of "saltwater" to bring it up to 8dKh, 300ppm Ca, and 1100-1200ppm Mg?

BTW, the 1/2 cup of salt per gallon thumb rule doesn't work on rock (water softener) salt. Apparently, it is much more dense. Using that thumbrule, my water mixed up to about 1.037.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/12/2005, 05:44 PM
I haven't worked through that yet, no. I don't have the time to do so right now, but maybe for a future article.

Anyone want to tackle that right now?

grim
06/13/2005, 08:34 AM
What about "ProLine Super Salt" salt concentrate with locally sourced NaCl? AquaticEco has 4400g worth of concentrate for about 480. Should be a couple hundred bucks cheaper than using the equivalent amount of IO.

jb

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/13/2005, 09:29 AM
I expect that would be fine, although I do not know much about it. :)

robwsup
06/13/2005, 11:57 AM
I've looked into that grim. It would cost about 80% of what it would cost me to do in IO.

Besides, I'm not trying to replicate seawater, I just want something that will be cheap and safe to let liverock sit in while stuff rots on it.

Hobster
06/13/2005, 12:37 PM
I tried it with the calculator.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

I have know idea what the intial values if any would be so I started with 1 (it does not calculate with a zero starting value)

I used Turbo Calcium, epsom and baking soda for 50 gals.

Cal=31 tsp
Alk=7.5 tsp
Mg=2239 grams

Maybe mix a smaller batch and adjust up or down?

grim
06/13/2005, 12:39 PM
What about starting with a 'standard' asw mix and experiment which lower concentration ions you can deal without..

http://marine.rutgers.edu/ebme/html_docs/ASWMEDIA.htm

jb

seldin
10/13/2007, 04:21 PM
What about NSW. It's free, except for the transportation and inconvenience? (Obviously, you have to liver near a source.