PDA

View Full Version : Seagrass bed biotope aquaria

tucc185
06/14/2005, 01:26 PM
Hi, thinking of switching my dull typical reef tank over to a seagrass biotope aquarium. It's a 46 bowfront, with a 4" DSB. I want to increase the sand bed another 2" and remove most of the rock. I have a large Long Tentacle anemone that I want to keep in the tank, as well as some pieces of Porites with commensal x-mas tree worms that I want to be the focus of the tank. Anyone have any pictures of seagrass beds in nature from diving/snorkeling? I snorkled in a great seagrass bed in Mexico last year, but I lost all the pictures. Anyone keep or used to keep a tank like this? I would love to see pics. Thanks,
Mike

Samala
06/14/2005, 02:14 PM
If you search this forum over just the past few months you can find mine and other's pictures of seagrass dominant aquaria. Or try my red house (my website) for some pictures and random ideas. My design of the tank, or aquascape, is not anything great to speak about, but it is something.

Generally how I find the beds in the wild is not exactly a picturesque view anyway.. they exist as large mixed species beds in many areas with things just randomly thrown in. Epiphytes on the leaves of the grasses tend to make things look messy underwater too. But I, like you, am craving some 'grass bed pics. I think its a project I'll have to take on myself later this summer.

There was also a thread just a few lines down where ozadars I think posted some images he cropped from google sources of wild grass beds, that might be of interest.

>Sarah