PDA

View Full Version : Found a new mantis...sugestions?

cj_basser
06/27/2005, 08:58 AM
HEy,

I caught a mantis in my tank, and now i have it in a little container that is floating around in my sump. I think i want to keep it, but i don't know what kind of tnak to set up for it.

It is only 1" right now. I have a spare 2.5g tnak that is just laying around. would this be sufficient for it? What kind of lighting should i have for it? COuld i keep corals in it?

THanks,
CJ

rogerwells
06/27/2005, 04:43 PM
peacock mantis shrimp grow big and will outgrow the 2.5 gallon....just get a 10 gallon

Uriel
06/27/2005, 04:50 PM
Firstly, nowhere did he say that he had an Odontadactylus Scyllarus, or a 'peacock mantis'', as they are more commonly called. In fact, O Scyllarus are not found as hitch-hikers at all. CJ_Basser's mantis (from the other thread with pictures...) looks more like an N. Wennerae (or similar mantis), a small one. I kept my N. Wenn isn a 1.5 gallon hex for a few months, and he was happy and fine. he now lives in a 5 gallon hex, and he is likewise fine.

'If' you had a peacock, a 10 gallon glass is very inadequate. Such a tanl could be easily cracked by the mantis, and most of the reported breakage issues involve the mantis trying to deepen it's burrow, and cracking the bottom pane. My O. Scyllarus lives in a 12 gallon eclipse (He is'nt full grown, about half size,really), though I have a 30 gallon section of a split tank getting ready for him.

Hope some of that helped.

-Ron

cj_basser
06/27/2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks Ron.

I definantly DON'T have a peacock mantis. Mine is a light pink and has green eyes.

I have a spare 2.5g glass tnak, would that work? WOuld i be able to keep corals in it?

Is the N. Wennerae a spearer or a clubber? I have been trying to figure out which one mine is, but it is sooo small that i can barely see it.

Gonodactylus
06/27/2005, 09:10 PM
Where did the rock come from. Light pink with green eyes is not a typical coloration for N. wennerae. If the rock is from the Indo-Pacific, it could be G. affinis. If from the Caribbean, it could be N. torus.

Roy

cj_basser
06/28/2005, 06:20 AM
The rock is from Bali.

Gonodactylus
06/28/2005, 08:42 AM
Almost certainly you have a Gonodactylellus, probably G. affinis. These are dwarf species that never get larger than 3 cm. They change color depending on light an background. The pink colored animals are usually from coralline algae from depths below 10 m.

Roy

cj_basser
06/28/2005, 10:54 AM
So is my mantis a spearer or a smasher?

What kind of tank should i set up for it?

Gonodactylus
06/28/2005, 12:06 PM
It is a gonodactylid smasher. They live in rubble, coralline alage, coral, etc. The good news is that they live a long time - 4 years or more. The bad news is that they are secretive and rarely come out of their cavity.

Roy

cj_basser
06/28/2005, 12:29 PM
Im not sure that i will keep it, if it isn't going to get any bigger, and it won't come out too often. I usualy lure it out of its cave with a bamboo skewer.

rogerwells
06/28/2005, 04:01 PM
Well he didnt say what kind it was...i was just saying if its a peacock then it would be better in a bigger tank....thanks for making me feel bad jerk

Uriel
06/28/2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rogerwells
Well he didnt say what kind it was...i was just saying if its a peacock then it would be better in a bigger tank....thanks for making me feel bad jerk

Hey there,

I didn't mean to make you feel bad (I humbly apologize) at all.
Likewise, you most likely didn't see the pictures in the other thread (which show it as a mantis much smaller than a peacock).
I wasn't even close in my snap-ID, so I'm right there with you as far as what sort of mantis it is.

Again, I'm sorry for any (unintentional) bad feelings that I may have caused.

-Ron

aesthetic
07/12/2005, 09:15 AM
wow ron you are a mantis genius! lol