PDA

View Full Version : digital cameras

Airel
11/27/1999, 10:05 PM
I hoping to get a digital camera from Santa. What are ya'll using to take these beautiful pictures of your tanks? Thanks for any advice.

Nemo
11/28/1999, 07:16 AM
Airel,
I use a sony Mavica that I am lucky enough to borrow. I love how it copies the photos to a floppy disk instead of a flash card. You can view your pictures on any computer without hooking up to it. I do have to say that the auto-focus doesn't work as good as it should. It also has problems getting good focus on anything under 8''.
I have seen ctenophore's page and was very impressed with the macro shots the were achieved with his camera.I would definatly go with great picture quality over the ease of use of the floppies ( especially how expensive these cameras are ).Check out my site for a compairison of picture quality. Hope this helps you in your decision.
Nemo

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"The sea is everything. It covers seventenths of the terresterial globe. It's breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert where man is never alone, for he feels life quivering around him on every side. "
-Jules Verne-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Homepage www.wizard.net/~nemo (http://www.wizard.net/~nemo)
nemo@wizard.net

npaden
11/28/1999, 07:39 AM
Airel, for comparison all pics on my site were taken with a Kodak DC210 Camera. The pics on 11/24 were taken with "good" quality as oppossed to "better" or "best" which is what I used on 9/21 to take all the other pics. I really couldn't tell much of a difference but I am by no means an expert. My idea of a good picture is no huge flash reflection. The Kodak does do closeups and I do have some on my site. I look at the pics with a notebook so there might be some big differences that I don't see. FWIW, Nathan

------------------
Visit my homepage at padens.homepage.com (http://padens.homepage.com)

Evets
11/28/1999, 09:55 AM
Check out the digital camera reviews at cnet.com. It's not the final word in camera reviews, but it's a start. Personally, I've borrowed the Nikon CoolPix 950 and the Kodak 260. Both performed very well - good image quality. I thought the Kodak took better indoor pictures, but that's just my limited, subjective opinion.
-Steve

Airel
11/28/1999, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have spent the last hour on cnet.com as Evets suggested. Thanks for the tip!

Ctenophore, the Nikon Coolpix 950 definitely takes beautiful photos, but don't know if I can swing the $760. (don't know if Santa will give me that much!)

Nemo, which Mavica are you using? The photos on your site are also very beautiful.

npaden, I was looking at your site when I deceided to post the question about the cameras. I do like the closeups that the Kodak can do.

I need something very easy to use, as I don't know squat about these cameras. Thanks again for the advice. I looked at everyones site and looked at all of your cameras on cnet.com. I appreciate the help!

Airel
11/28/1999, 08:57 PM
I'm looking at the Kodak DC280 Zoom. Office Depot has it for $799, but I can order it online for $593. What do ya'll think about this one? Does anyone have one? Thanks again.

Flamehawk
11/28/1999, 10:41 PM
I use an Epson PC600. The camera is sooo simple to use, even i can use it! I got it for $200 about eight months ago. It was a display item and Epson had since replaced this model with an updated version PC700 (?). In any case, i'm very happy with it. The only thing i don't rave about is the fact that it takes me a rather long time (20 min.) to upload a full set of pictures through the provided cable. However, I could easily get a compact flash memory card and a compact flash card reader to upload pics A LOT faster but i haven't mind the long upload time THAT much.

You can visit my site and see for yourself that Epson makes pretty decent cameras. You should be able to get a new Epson for around $450 depending on where you buy it from.

Hope this helps. Oh, and by the way, don't waste your time trying to buy a digital camera from ebay, there's just too much demand on ebay for digital cameras to get one at a decent bid. I spent four weeks getting outbid on ebay.

JOHNNY

------------------
www.homestead.com/johnnymok (http://www.homestead.com/johnnymok)

Larry M
11/28/1999, 11:04 PM
Rather than recommend a specific brand (I also have a Kodak 210) I would say look for one that is a least 1 mega-pixel resolution, and has a close-up (macro) mode.
Good luck,

------------------
Larry M

View a list of RC Member's websites at:
http://www.reefcentral.com/membersites.html

badgers
11/29/1999, 10:29 AM
If you have a kodak 210 that is a little older check out this page. http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/software/dc210/dc210Drivers.shtml
This may or may not help you. It seems to be a firmware update for the older 210 models

------------------
I'm so skeptical, I can hardly believe it!

LarryB
11/29/1999, 05:29 PM
I just Purchased the FUJI DX-10. I think you can pick up one of these for under $300. It has 1.2 mega pixles. I don't have a web site (yet), but I could e-mail you some pictures. It's pretty easy to use and has a lot of advanced features. I just purchased the memory card reader. I will let you know if that speeds up the down load process.

[This message has been edited by LarryB (edited 11-29-1999).]

Ophidia
11/29/1999, 07:05 PM
I have a Sony Mavica MVC-Fd73 (the lowest one). I really like it-- floppy disk, the zoom works almost as well as a real macro (one can get a macro attachment for it, I think).
The only problem I have with it is that it really seems to like blue light-- pics of tanks are always a little more blue that the real thing. I don';t think there is a way to make it look like the real thing, though :)
As for my request for Santa, I want an Icecap 660 and some German endcaps. Then I'll be able to see my 30 gallon reef glowing from three blocks away!

Anyway, FWIW
Chris

[This message has been edited by Ophidia (edited 11-29-1999).]