PDA

View Full Version : Pseudochromis porphyreus

rhidien
07/21/2005, 02:34 PM
Any one have any info on breeding/pairing purple pseudo's? I've found a little info on royal gramma's and orchid dottybacks, guessing they're similar?

rsman
07/22/2005, 01:51 AM
aha my favs of the pseudo's

NOPE :D they are way way more agressive, even towards there own...

when trying to pair, you need to keep a very close watch or you can loose both, they will beat each other that badly.

when you get them to a medium size you will have to watch for the overly agressive ones, and make a call, sometimes I just cull them, but whatever you do removal is required.

I find they dont take to nhbs as well as several others so consider having a different 2nd food ready

TomRep
11/01/2006, 10:00 PM
I know this is an old thread, but how hard are the fry to raise? Also, are they worth anything on the market? Just wondering. Thanks in advance!
Tom

Atticus
11/02/2006, 12:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8461701#post8461701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TomRep
I know this is an old thread, but how hard are the fry to raise? Also, are they worth anything on the market? Just wondering. Thanks in advance!
Tom

Thier attitude makes them nearly worthless to breed. Hard to pair, hard to sell, and hardest of all would be finding a way to seperate them for growout.

aomont
11/02/2006, 01:07 AM
What about packing them in a bare tank instead of separating them ? Wouldn´t stop they from being nasty but maybe would reduce the individual damages.

Have heard it work for some species, has anyone experienced this with dottybacks ?

Anderson.

ediaz
11/02/2006, 10:50 AM
The fish is very cheap for a hatchery to try, they will not make money, I have raised the diadema very similar, but the larvae is quirte delicate to make things worse.

packing them in a tank to avoid aggression might work at some extent but 3-5 fishes will be found dead from aggression every day.

Ed

davidh202
11/08/2006, 03:23 PM
I have a pair of tank raised Orchids that have just laid eggs.What if anything can I do to try and raise some of the fry.The egg cluster is in a drilled 3/4 " hole in one of my rocks. the female (I think), is guarding them.I now think what I previously thought was pods hatching at times, was in fact more Orchid fry. I had never seen the eggs before.They are in my 135G reef and I know they don't stand a snowballs chance in h**l of surviving in there.

BTW My pair get along swimmingly;)

David M
11/08/2006, 11:58 PM
David, you can raise the orchids but it is challenging for most of us, Ediaz has done well with them. There are threads here that can guide you as well as M Moe's book.

Tom, those purples aren't worth snot. Cheap fish imported in mass quantities and NOT popular. Actually a pretty ugly fish in my book. Nice color yes but the confirmation is not attractive. Best placed on the 'B' list for a time when imports are closed. It wouldn't hurt to have a few pairs waiting in the wings and making some trial runs if & when there is time but I wouldn't focus on them. JMO ;)