PDA

View Full Version : T. Tevora and T. Rosewateri

bigworm616
07/29/2005, 03:36 PM
Im pretty sure i spelled their names right, but im looking for pictures of both. Ive recently found out about their excistence and would like to see pictures of them. Im sure they are quite rare in captivity, but maybe one of you has a link i could use. Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Electrobes
07/29/2005, 04:27 PM
actually they are still trying to determine if the rosewateri even exists. I have heard of the pic in the Inverts by (I think) Mike Paletta, in the clams section, that it could be a rosewateri.

I have seen apic of a tevora, but I am sorry to say I can't remember for the life of me where. If I do find it or remember it I will post it. HTH

bigworm616
07/29/2005, 06:41 PM
so i finally found a pic of Tevora, but no Rosewateri. I have also found out that there may not be a picture of a Rosewateri and that its discovery is based on a shell sample. Which leads me to believe it may not be a new species but merely a hybrid, which from what i understand does happen sporadically in the wild.

Electrobes
07/29/2005, 09:44 PM
yeah but they are typically with related clams... for instance its common to see a maxima with a crocea, but not a maxima with a gigas.

What'd you think of the Tevora?

Project Reef
07/29/2005, 10:06 PM
Tevoras come from Tonga, they are extremely rare. Derasas and maximas are common in Tonga, however your chances of finding a tevora in that mix are slim to none. Even if you were able to find one, they are highly illegal to collect.

In person, they are a very odd looking clam. Shell shape is very similiar to a derasa, the mantle is generally brown (however under halides they do tend to give off a rainbow type of coloration, hard to explain). The most common distinction is obviously the many "bumps" and pimples it has on the mantle. Unfortunately, the one I used to visit weekly several months back is dead now and I don't expect to ever see one again.

Gary Majchrzak
07/29/2005, 10:10 PM
I once saw a teveroa in a reef aquarium.
I don't like calling any reef creature "ugly", but this particular clam was not pretty.

bigworm616
07/29/2005, 11:59 PM
well the picture of the tevora i saw was extremely dark blue, so i assume it was taken at depth without a flash. So it looked like an extremely wide pimpily deresa. It did have a cool look to it though, and im sure anyone who knows there reef animals would be stunned to see one in real life.

Electrobes
07/31/2005, 08:16 AM
Project Reef - You lucky dog! I am sorry for its death, but I am glad you got to see one and add to this post, I had yet to meet someone who actually saw one in person ::crosses of list:: guess that over now :lol:

Oh yeah, I agree with Project Reef on the info. Even finding regular hybrids isn't all the common, so finding the super rare ones is just not really thought of... defintiely hoped for, just not realistic :)

bluemanta
08/05/2005, 05:46 PM
Barry of clams direct once told me that a friend of his either saw or saw and collected a rose from the wild, while diving...but it died months later, and its supposed to be a true gem...

grimmjohn
08/05/2005, 07:20 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=588426