PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp ATTACK!!!

efroggies
08/04/2005, 05:23 PM
I just had to post this and see if anyone else has has this happen.
I have a beautiful pistol shrimp that came with a tank that purchased a couple of months ago. Here is a picture of him/her.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/efroggies/mayjune40.jpg

So today I finally got to cementing a bunch of frags that I had in the bottom of the tank and was tired of having drug off to decorate the entrance to his lair. I am working along epoxying the frags and he is coming out every so often to check out what is going on. He is alot more brave than it sounds like most people's pistols are.

So I came to an area right above one of his cave entrances and I wanted to put a mushroom frag there but I had to blow off a bunch of detritus that had accumulated. Well he wasn't happy about that at all, darting in and out of all his hideyholes. So I get to cementing the frag and BOOM out of nowhere this orange missile hits my arm and darts behind the rocks. He hits me half way up my arm which is a good foot or so off the bottom of the tank. Then my mom who was there with me says that she sees a rather satisfied looking shrimp peeking out from one of the caves.

I don't blame him for the attack, I definitely deserved it. I mean I would be pretty P'd off if some one came in and started rearranging my furniture and throwing dirt around. I just wanted to share my story and see if anyoneelse has had an experience like this with a pistol.

By the way does anybody know what kind of pistol shrimp he is? You can see the front of him pretty well in the picture and his back legs are purple (maybe Aguabeast since he came from Byerly's originally).

aguabeast
08/04/2005, 06:05 PM
ummm... nope. not real good with crustaceons. cool looking one though...

hollback
08/04/2005, 08:06 PM
Cool looking Pistol Shrimp. Do you hear it "popping" at night?

efroggies
08/04/2005, 08:34 PM
All night and all day at anyone or anything that comes too close to it's dens. It is paired up with a yellow watchman goby but they both tend to do thier own thing. My husband thinks that it has the spirit of a dog that just barks (snaps) at randomn nonextistent things. Oh and I forgot to mention that it attacked my tongs for the first time yesterday. It is becoming a bbbbrrrrave little shrimp.

thebrian
08/04/2005, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a really fun guy. Did it hurt when he attacked?

efroggies
08/04/2005, 08:40 PM
No he just bumped into me so that I could feel it. Not tempted to find out if it will hurt the second time around.

Thurge
08/04/2005, 10:59 PM
Looks like a Caribbean Pistol.

Mine isn't nearly that nearly that casual about strolling around, nor popping. It will get brave if I am trying to reach a rag behind the rocks, then he has no qualms about popping the bejeasus out of my hand. I usually only hear him one minute after the last actinic goes off; almost like he is telling everyone lights out. There is a Blue Spot Watchman in the tank but they also seem to so their own thing, so I just rescently got a new pistol. Unfortunately due to its ignorance, it is healing in the overflow. It arrived at about 1" and instead of swimming into the rocks it decided to swim across the surface, attracting unwanted attention. Ended up costing him his Pistol...

SuperNerd
08/06/2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah carribean pistol.
Not blind and doesn't form a relationship with gobies.
More of a potential to actually attack tankmates.

zoocrazy
08/07/2006, 02:35 PM
I used to have one like that. havn't seen or heard him in a while. i looked and looked online and the closest pistol i found to him was called a carribean