PDA

View Full Version : clam question im a newb when it comes to clams

KING OF THE REEF
08/04/2005, 08:13 PM
i have a 2 gallon seahorse tank with alot of space to use. i have 13 watts a gallon of intense power compact. can I keep a maxima clam in this tank until it out grows it. Please get back to me as I have a green with black specks maxima on hold at the lfs and i have only 2 days to go pick it up or else it is someone's elses. lmk please

kfisc
08/04/2005, 08:42 PM
I've not heard of a clam being kept in a 2 gallon tank, but I haven't heard of a lot of things; still i don't think that's enough lighting, but it's an old argument.

KING OF THE REEF
08/04/2005, 08:47 PM
13 watts a gallon not enough man what tree did i fall off.

Zoalander
08/04/2005, 09:00 PM
hmmm keeping a seahorse in a 2 gallon tank just doesnt seem fair. I think your lighting may be enough for a clam but isn't it hard to control the parameters? Then again you are majoring in marine biology.

yuhsuen
08/05/2005, 01:25 AM
In terms of lighting, watts/gallon is not a proper way to gauge lighting. It's best measured in pars, which for me translates to the intensity of light. From 13Watts/gal I'm guessing you have a 26W PC retrofit...and honestly, I also don't think the intensity will be enough for a maxima clam.

That being said, small tanks also have lots of fluctuations in parameters...temperature, salinity, and trace elements. Clams being big time Ca hogs, I can only imagine what problems you're gonna face when it comes to supplementing. I believe stability in a system is what will keep any live stock alive. Especially a clam like you describe, it sounds like a magnificent clam and I'd hate to not give it the best chance of survival. If you have some MH or even VHO or T5 in your other tanks, the clam will definitely do better in them IMHO.

Freed
08/05/2005, 01:35 AM
NOOOOOO!!!!!

KING OF THE REEF
08/05/2005, 01:48 PM
nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!1 what freed. i think ill give it a try. i do water changes in that tank every week (using water from my 46 gallon bow front reef). I have a dwarf seahorse in this tank so it is ok. i am working on getting another sh but need to find them cheap. lol thanks

chadfarmer
08/05/2005, 09:22 PM
well the answer is yes under one condition

that you can get a bigger light

add calcium and alk

add A.T.O.

i love clams and love to look at them sounds like you have 2 tanks why not put in the other tank

tsquad
08/05/2005, 09:30 PM
Freed said nooooooooooo!!!! because he doesn't think you should put a clam in there. I think you should heed everyone's advice, it's good advice.

Ask Marc (melev); he has a seahorse and had clams in a 2g Pico tank. Do a search for it, very nice little tank.

Confooseld
08/05/2005, 10:06 PM
I don't see how someone smart enough to get into college at 17 could not realize that watts per gallon is a bogus rule. You put it under the 13 watt PC it will die quick.

tsquad
08/05/2005, 10:46 PM
Yes WPG is bad. Imagine this. 250w halide over a 10g tank = 25w/gallon. Super right? Now, 250w halide over a 100g tank = 2.5w/gallon...sounds bad huh? The stuff directly under the 100g halide will grow just as well as the stuff directly under the 10g halide...

Peabody
08/06/2005, 10:47 AM
Give it a shot? THat's like going on a Dog Forum, saying your going to keep a mastiff in a broom closet and slide potato chips under the door to feed him. He might be ok, you can get fresh chips every day.

And yes, 13 wpg is not near enough. I could put a christmas tree light bulb over a thimble and have 2 million watts per gallon. Doesn't mean I could keep anything alive. It's all abotu PAR. (Come on everyone, say it again with me...)

chadfarmer
08/06/2005, 01:53 PM
It's all about PAR

keswick
08/06/2005, 05:26 PM
It's definitely 'All About PAR.'

It's getting old when the LFS' and others keep using wattage as the benchmark for lighting....unbeliveable!!

I'm a T5 bulb user and they sustain all types of clams.

KING OF THE REEF
08/07/2005, 08:44 AM
well i cant get the clam until tuesday so i do have some more time to look. i did find the pico (marks) i am upgrading to a halide system for this tank so i dont think ill have to worry

Peabody
08/07/2005, 10:47 AM
Not exactly. Even if you have the light, there are many other problems with keeping a clam in that size tank. Not even considering that the clam will outgrow it quickly and then need to go to a larger, still suitable tank, the #1 is stability. Temp, Salinity, Alk, and CA have to be ROCK steady for a clam, and that's a very difficult thing in any small tank.

I still think you should stay away from the clam...it's just too risky.

KING OF THE REEF
08/07/2005, 08:56 PM
thanks for the input, but i have decided to go for it. i have maintaind just though i might add this little tid bit, i do water changes every other day with water from my 46 gallon bow reef tank. all parameters are 100% perfect. i have a very stable fuge on the back of my 2 gallon so that helps to keep it stable thanks anyways

Peabody
08/08/2005, 08:43 AM
You don't seem to understand...even if your tank is seemingly steady, a clam will throw it majorly out of whack. THey place extreme demands on the system. Water changes won't take care of it.

headonkey
08/08/2005, 12:12 PM
Why do people come on here and ask advice if they're just going to do their own thing anyways? Don't tell us that you're going to put this animal's life in danger just because you feel like it.

KING OF THE REEF
08/08/2005, 08:18 PM
if it starts to look bad, i will put it in my 46 bow front where i currently have 4 small maximas doing extremly great

Peabody
08/09/2005, 08:14 AM
Again....here's another problem with clams. WHen they start to look bad, 95% of the time it's too late to do anything. Moreoften than not they look great, and thenext day the're dead.

KING OF THE REEF
08/09/2005, 09:08 PM
well i have 4 of them so i know how to care for them. thanks for all the help and will post a pic tmmrw after i get it home

Peabody
08/09/2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Imareefer
well i have 4 of them so i know how to care for them. That's funny considering the thread title is "I'm a noob when it comes to clams"

Originally posted by headonkey
Why do people come on here and ask advice if they're just going to do their own thing anyways? Don't tell us that you're going to put this animal's life in danger just because you feel like it.
Just thought that deserved repeating!

mbbuna
08/09/2005, 09:51 PM
:lol:

KING OF THE REEF
08/10/2005, 09:59 PM
well i mean noob in small tanks not in clams. sorry for the misunderstanding
WILL A MOD PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD I CAM HERE FOR SUCESS STORYS NOT TO GET PUT DOWN

mbbuna
08/10/2005, 10:07 PM
I don't think people are trying to put you down. I think it's more that you asked for advise and then shunned what you received.clams need certain things, and stability is very high on the list.stability is much more difficult in a small,nano tank

Peabody
08/11/2005, 10:35 AM
Ditto what Mbbuna said. No one's mocking you, you're just not getting the answer you want and are saying "the hell with it, I'll risk the animal's life". We're all trying to convince you that it's a bad idea (many of us know from experience!) and you don't care.

exoticaquatix
08/24/2005, 02:45 PM
seems like the easiest thing to do would be put the clam in with the other 4 you have. that way we all win. you get you clam, all the reefcentral members can sleep easy knowing that the clam will be in a good home. why not put some other low light, hardy coral in there like mushrooms, star polyps or some thing to liven up the sea horse tank. or you can plumb you 2 gal into your 46 add the proper lighting to it and give it a shot with out telling us. that way when/if you have success you can tell us about it and if not chalk it up to a loss and keep it to your self. again, not trying to be a jerk or put you down.
~nick

ReeferMonkey
08/28/2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mbbuna
I think it's more that you asked for advise and then shunned what you received.clams need certain things, and stability is very high on the list.