PDA

View Full Version : Aquacontroller users, ORP calibration?

emelton
08/16/2005, 10:08 PM
I have had my controller for over a year now. I was wondering if anyone has ever calibrated their ORP probe and by what meens?

I have been getting wacky readings for the past couple of days. I want to check the calibration, but how? anyone?

North Bay 101
08/16/2005, 11:01 PM
All I do for mine is to clean the tip when the readings get above 425. I clean it with 5% vinegar and use a soft toothbrush.

kattner
08/17/2005, 12:05 AM
HI,

See this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=612066&highlight=orp+calibration

and this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=568903&highlight=orp+calibration

emelton
08/17/2005, 04:26 AM
Before I asked the calibration question, don't you think I would do the obvious like clean the probe? I appreciate your time but I am focusing on the calibration issue and how Neptune systems can say it doesn't need calibration when it does.

If I compare my Neptune Orp readings with a Pinpoint ORP meter the readings are different. Alot different?

kattner
08/17/2005, 08:28 AM
Not sure who you are responding to, but the threads above mainly speak to the issues of (1) calibration with quinhydrone, and (2) Neptune doesn't recommend calibration. Now if you have changed the ORP offsets in the aquacontroller (which I assume you have not), then calibration may be needed. There are other threads that Curt has answered with places you can buy the quinhydrone. Or, I have seen calibration fluids you can buy from the bigger web based marine supply distributers.

Ken

clp
08/17/2005, 09:30 AM
See this thread on how to make calibration solutions:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=612066

Curt

emelton
08/17/2005, 01:27 PM
Already been there.

kattner
08/17/2005, 08:16 PM
Here is the way to post a question requesting help:

1. Use the word "please" - this always helps in the initial stage of the conversation.

2. Do not tell people who have responded that they should know you already tried their suggestion. This is not very polite and can abruptly end the help.

3. Never accuse the person trying to help that they are not giving a straight forward answer. This will never get you anywhere.

4. Use the word "thank you" so the person will help you the next time a question comes up.

emelton
08/17/2005, 08:22 PM
Your welcome

Carlos
08/18/2005, 08:01 AM
This is a board with adults here so let's act as one.

Emelton, if you do not like to be called on, then don't post in such way that it sounds as you are demanding and when someone answers, do not shut them off. All you are accomplishing is having people ignore your posts.

Besides that, let's act like adults.

Consider this the first and last warning.

Carlos

emelton
08/18/2005, 05:06 PM
Oh so if Please was before my question thats P.C.?
I asked a question, he response was not to the question I asked.
If you feel like I was demanding an answer, sorry you feel that way.

If you feel I was asking in a demanding way then just ignore my question. But if they choose to answer my question, do just that answer my question.
They should learn to READ THE QUESTION and give a correct answer not an answer that has nothing to do with the question.

Carlos, I'm not asking you to overthink anything. just read my questions and the answers I got for them. Not even in the ballpark.

I have not done anything wrong, according to RC user agreement.

Reconsider your last remark.

Carlos
08/18/2005, 06:34 PM
Being polite is a given. We at RC did not think that we had to write "Be Polite" in the user agreement. We thought most people had the consideration of being polite when asking as question. I guess we were correct ... for the most part.

Correct, you have not done anything wrong to violate the User Agreement.

North Bay 101 made a suggestion based on the facts that you had typed. You have to remember that we deal with a lot of newbies here that sometimes do not do things that we take for granted. He suggested to clean the probe as dirty probes do tend to give false readings. Nowhere in your question it stated that you are an expert reefer. We are all here just trying to cover the basis and help you if you let us.

If the answer was redundant and you had oviously cleaned the probe, how hard was it to say:

"Did that already. I think it is a calibration problem so I am just looking for a way to calibrate the probe."

Something as simple as that would have sufficed. It would have politely conveyed your thoughts and you would have received many many more responses. Instead, I can pretty much tell you that this is going to be the last response ... maybe second last after you respond to this post, and then this thread will get lost in the shuffle.

Anyway, I am just trying to keep things civil here. Communication over the written word is very different to in person. One has to make sure that the things typed dont come out the wrong way.

Best regards,

Carlos
RC Staff

Skipper
08/19/2005, 10:23 PM
IMO, North Bay is owed an apology. Its very bad form to jump down someone's throat when they're trying to help you, emelton.

Skipper
08/19/2005, 10:24 PM
emelton: You have a PM.

emelton
08/19/2005, 10:43 PM
To all RC TEAM, STAFF, and MEMEBERS.
Thank you for all your help and knowledge contained within this thread. If my response to your answers seem rude I am sorry.

I see that all of the RC POLICE are ganging up on me on every thread I am on now.

So I apologize and would love to give all of you a big kiss ;*

Anemone
08/20/2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by emelton
I see that all of the RC POLICE are ganging up on me on every thread I am on now.

I haven't been on any of your threads. :D Do your threads require a police presence, or just teachers to explain manners and civility?

Kevin

wizardgus®
08/21/2005, 07:32 AM
emelton,
I removed your inappropriate post. I think you have way over estimated your importance here. Consider this your last warning.

emelton
08/21/2005, 03:08 PM
Don't you guys have any fun?

Skipper
08/21/2005, 04:16 PM
Don't you guys have any fun? Yes, we certainly do. However, putting up a .gif that shows a guy making love to an imaginary woman is not exactly appropriate here. In fact, it could easily be viewed as 'mocking' all the moderators that have chimed in here for your rude behavior. We have yet to hear a sincere apology, but get these goofy graphics instead. You just don't get it, do you? You are walking a line so thin, it's pathetic!

Own up to the fact that you were rude and make a sincere apology.

Oh..... and don't ever, EVER be rude like that again to someone who is sincerely trying to help you. :(

Skipper
08/21/2005, 04:39 PM
I'll tell you what... next time one of us mods sees you asking a question for help, we'll be sure to post the link to this thread along with your question thread. I'm sure LOTS of members would be willing to help you, since you're such a nice guy.

Carlos
08/21/2005, 05:15 PM
Why dont we do this, I will be watching you like a hawk and when you break the rules, you will be gone. I am sure with your childlish and immature behavior, I won't have to wait long.

Waiting for your next move,

Carlos

emelton
08/21/2005, 07:54 PM
MY QUESTION

I want to check the calibration, but how? anyone?

Response from North Bay 101

Originally posted by North Bay 101
All I do for mine is to clean the tip when the readings get above 425. I clean it with 5% vinegar and use a soft toothbrush.

Reply from emelton to North Bay 101

Before I asked the calibration question, don't you think I would do the obvious like clean the probe? I appreciate your time but I am focusing on the calibration issue and how Neptune systems can say it doesn't need calibration when it does.

Humm? "I appreciate your time" in other words THANK YOU!

Originally posted by Skipper
IMO, North Bay is owed an apology. Its very bad form to jump down someone's throat when they're trying to help you, emelton.

I appreciate your time

" I appreciate your time" so in Skippers opinion its: "jumping down someone's throat"

Oh..... and don't ever, EVER be rude like that again to someone who is sincerely trying to help you. :(

I will say it again NORTH BAY 101 " I appreciate your time" Thank you for trying to answer my question. But Its not an issue of a dirty probe. It is on how to make sure the reading is actual. I am sorry if I offended you.

I'll tell you what... next time one of us mods sees you asking a question for help, we'll be sure to post the link to this thread along with your question thread. I'm sure LOTS of members would be willing to help you, since you're such a nice guy.

Originally posted by Carlos
Why dont we do this, I will be watching you like a hawk and when you break the rules, you will be gone. I am sure with your childlish and immature behavior, I won't have to wait long.

Waiting for your next move,

Carlos

IMO your not fit to be Moderators. Read the posts correctly and stop taking things out of context.
I admit the Jack Black gif. was in appropriate. But If you ban me for being "childlish and immature" as you put it Carlos. What RC rules/user agreement was broken?

Some RC Mods need to relax.

mdiack77
08/22/2005, 03:13 PM
As a premium RC member and a member of the Long Island Reef Association, I feel that emelton was justified. I have read this thread and feel that he was treated unfairly. Do you really think a newbie would post a question in this specialized forum? I dont think so, I think he'd post in a different forum.

To think that emelton would be banned from RC because of this is crazy. Makes me really consider renewing.

Just my 2 cents.

cb747
08/22/2005, 05:01 PM
Im sad to see this myself. And incase anyone is wondering Eric has not put any of us up to this. The problem with typing on the net is it lacks emotion and words can be taken the wrong way. I didnt see Eric cross any lines. he most certainly didnt break the RC user agreement. I do feel that sometimes MODS will get upset with a person and make it personal as would be easy to do with anyone who had the ban button. There were some remarks made by a few parties to the above including a MOD. Hopefully you guys will reconsider. This isnt the first time ive seen someone questionably banned. I might be reconsidering my "premium member status as well when the time comes for renewal.
Just to state im not bashing any mods just stating the way i see things. For the most part you guys do a great job at keeping the peace and removing useless stuff that shouldnt be here.
Chris

Carlos
08/23/2005, 08:33 AM
This forum is for Neptune questions and answers. It is not for rallying troops in order to achieve someones crusade.

The thread is now closed.

Carlos