PDA

View Full Version : Of Blood and Yeast

AttackDonut
08/30/2005, 07:00 PM
According to the Knopp book on clams, he tried feeding both yeast, and animal blood, apparently both with great success.

So what's the story on yeast? Live? Bakers? Brewers?

And of the blood...I have an unlimited supply available (I'm a vampire don't 'cha know ;) ) but I've never before heard of feeding blood to anything other than a vampire.

So what's the scoop?

mbbuna
08/30/2005, 07:37 PM
bakers yeast is what he's talking about.he sell's it also Koralvit k.
with blood you take a big chance of introducing pathogens,I would pass on that.

AttackDonut
08/31/2005, 09:54 AM
What kind of pathogens are we talking about?

The Shrimp X
08/31/2005, 10:25 AM
?!?!?! are you talking about feeding your clams blood and yeast?!?!?!

mbbuna
08/31/2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by AttackDonut
What kind of pathogens are we talking about?

who knows whats in animal blood.

AttackDonut
08/31/2005, 01:28 PM
Shrimp X-

According to Daniel Knop's book on Clams, he did feed them both yeast and animal blood, and had very good success with it, but didn't mention *which type* of yeast he was using, hence my question.

I'm sure animal blood would contain odd things, the question I would have is what harm could they do in a foreign (salt water) environment?

And besides, I could always use my own blood ;)

SunnyX
08/31/2005, 07:50 PM
Animal blood.......
Move over BB this is the new fad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I may try it.
Ill let you know what happens.

Zoalander
08/31/2005, 10:36 PM
whats wrong with phyto? Is phyto bad now? I gave my clams all my money now I have to give them my blood?

mbbuna
08/31/2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Vetter1980
whats wrong with phyto? Is phyto bad now? I gave my clams all my money now I have to give them my blood?

IMO for clams under 3" phyto is the best.there is some live yeast out there that is also very good but I think adding blood is a lot more work and more risky then is called for.

over 3"clams really don't need anything other then what is floating around (except light )

AttackDonut
09/01/2005, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of making a mixture of my blood, my sweat, and the tears of my accountant, and see how well a clam does ;)