PDA

View Full Version : 600 gallon Acrylic Reef

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pwhitby
09/08/2005, 09:14 AM
As most of you know, I currently run a 225g glass tank set up as a reef. When I bought this tank, about 6 years ago I didnt spend the extra and buy a reef ready set up, I considered that, in hindsight, to have been a mistake. Originally the tank was established with VHO lights and mostly soft corals. A few years ago i decided to change up and rework the system. I added a couple of hang on overflows from lifereef, added a sump (75g) with a 30g refugium. I then upgraded the lights to 250W MH. Once the change over was completed I purchased a bunch of frags and let the tank do its stuff. I was really ahppy with the results. The corals grew well and the tank 9to me) looked great. To encourage more growth, I replaced my old skimmer and upgraded the lights to 400W. (5 of them) This necessitated adding a chiller. I also added a calcium reactor. Stuff really began growing then, which puts me at the point Im at now. I have ran out of space. Over the last 6 months I have had to aggressively trim many corals. These I have sold for the most part and the money i made has gone to the new setup.

For those who have not seen my tank recently, here are a few pictures of the 225g.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/fulltank.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/tanksidecopy.jpg

One of the the things that I did while working on my old system was to buy equipment over-rated for my needs. I always hoped to have a larger tank, and thus bought equipment with that goal in mind.

The tank is now ordered, and barring anything unforeseen happening, I should be able to see it in a few weeks. The basic tank is going to be acrylic with a black acrylic back plate. The overfows (gotta be reef ready) are located on the outside of the tank to leave more space for the corals and fish. The last pic I have is the basic design of the system to give you an idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/tankdimensions2.jpg

This tank will be a beast. Looks small on paper, im sure I will freak out when I see it in person. Im even more sure that Lynn will definitely freak out......oh well....

Ill keep you guys informed on progress and post any pics I may have along the way.

Paul.

phlipper84
09/08/2005, 09:20 AM
How deep is it going to be?

pwhitby
09/08/2005, 09:22 AM
i missed that part out didnt I. 30 inches

padixon2
09/08/2005, 10:14 AM
acrylic??? are you sure you want to go that route????

i can see needing acrylic for clarity...but the scratches...yuck, :(

pwhitby
09/08/2005, 10:42 AM
have you tried picking up a 600g glass tank?

JimmyS
09/08/2005, 10:52 AM
LOL, Paul you beat me to it. That is a lot of weight even for a acrylic tank.

If I am available Paul, I would be more than happy to help move it.

phlipper84
09/08/2005, 10:54 AM
I would think about glass failure as well. When glass goes, hope your insurance company believes that your toilet leaks salt water!

theishkid
09/08/2005, 10:57 AM
any guess on how much it will weigh? any guess on how much if it were glass?

pwhitby
09/08/2005, 11:41 AM
for acrylic, im guessing 6-700lb for glass twice that.

Just moving something that size made of glass would be all but impossible. Glass cant flex like acrylic, one stress and pow. that baby is history.

Im thinking several dollies and several people should get the job done.

phlipper84
09/08/2005, 02:20 PM
I know that my 240 Acrylic weighed in at close to 250. It is not only the weight, but the dimensions which make it difficult to handle.

ONEMANBAND
09/08/2005, 03:01 PM
Your electric company might just invite you to the company picnic.

dugg
09/08/2005, 03:21 PM
I hope your house has a slab foundation. Even with a slab you should check the entire room floor for cracks in the slab before you set that whale tank up. You may need to pour some support piers. With water and rock in, you will have over 7000lbs sitting there. Probably closer to 8000. Like having 2 large cars parked in your room, sitting on a 4x8 area of floor. Better safe then soaked i say lol.

mdiddy7s
09/08/2005, 04:56 PM
How many lbs of LR have you collected for this event? You must have a ton (literally).
Mike D

Whaledriver
09/08/2005, 05:07 PM
? WILL IT FIT IN THE DOO?
I always have to laugh at the tanks that go on sale because they cant fit in the door. At 30 inches you shoulbe ok but watch the twists and turns getting it into the room.

Good luck, the tank sounds like it should be awsome setup.

pwhitby
09/08/2005, 05:30 PM
the door is fine, I have a straight hallway. Alternatively the window is more than wide enough

abigdog1976
09/08/2005, 09:57 PM
a piano dolly may be appropriate. i have moved many upright pianos (500 to 1000lbs) with them. you can rent them for about $20.

pwhitby
09/08/2005, 10:00 PM
i was going to get two. Bring tank through on it side.

pwhitby
09/08/2005, 10:05 PM
To give you an idea of the growth im getting, check the last pic above and this one. Same angle, a little larger, Thats growth over 18-20 months. You can see some areas where one coral has killed another in the pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/tanksidesept82005.jpg

Gwalker
09/08/2005, 11:40 PM
You know, some folks might like to have your kind of coral problems!!LOL

Gary

asnatlas
09/08/2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by pwhitby

Just moving something that size made of glass would be all but impossible. Glass cant flex like acrylic, one stress and pow. that baby is history.

Well, I have a 600gal (96x48x30) 3/4” Diamante (glass) tank on order with Will at AO... It will be going into my basement and I don't have a walk out... Going to go down the stairs...

Shawn

mdiddy7s
09/09/2005, 08:05 AM
Make sure you send some pics of the process Asnatlas. I am sure all of us would be very interested. Good Luck.
Thanks,
Mike D

pwhitby
09/09/2005, 08:09 AM
Its a tough problem to have.

Actually I used to have a real bad hair algae problem, but extra flow, increased aeration and some dedicated cleaners sorted that out. The best investment I made was a calcium reactor.

My main reason for wanting a larger tank is really because I have always wanted a big tank. The 225 is great, but not teh right dimensions for what i want to do. I want the tank to look more "lagoon" like, with mounds of rock for fish to swim between rather than the wall of rock i went with in my 225.

P.

MyMonkey
09/09/2005, 01:58 PM
Wow. What lighting setup do you use. I would love to start seeing some things growing. My PC's seem a bit underpowered.

pwhitby
09/09/2005, 02:04 PM
I have 4 400W Mh and a single 250W MH (this one is over my center brace, hence the lower wattage)

Paul.

Crusty Old Shellback
09/09/2005, 02:13 PM

Guess again. It took 9 of us to move my 400G off the stand and into the truck and that was a pain. We had 10 to move it out of the truck and back on the stand after the move. It made it a lot easier. Also, go to harbour freight and get a bunch of those suction glass mover handle thingies. They work great for having a place to hang on the tank to move it with.

ianmoede
09/09/2005, 02:14 PM
Beautiful

pwhitby
09/09/2005, 02:32 PM
Hey blown,

Our Club owns a bunch of the suction cups. They do make the moving a whole lot easier.

Paul.

MyMonkey
09/09/2005, 07:41 PM
I'm not actully a member yet but I will be soon. And, I can't lift heavy stuff. (Had back surgery 3 months ago) However, I can bring some tasty beverages for those who do lift heavy stuff. I can also offer moral support. LOL

pwhitby
09/09/2005, 09:01 PM
Its a deal. Always like to have moral, physical and beverage support.

Paul

asnatlas
09/09/2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by mdiddy7s
Make sure you send some pics of the process Asnatlas. I am sure all of us would be very interested. Good Luck.
Thanks,
Mike D

I have a thread started in the Large Tank forum, nothing much right now other then equ listing and questions... Once I get the tank and start on the project, I will be updating that thread alot :)

Shawn

dugg
09/10/2005, 10:38 PM
Paul, i just found this link for rock in another thread, that you may want to look at. They have 1 ton of hawaiian base rock for $800 shipping included. It looks like some nice rock, and at 40 cents a pound, a real nice price. Just thought i would pass it along.
http://www.hirocks.com/

pwhitby
09/11/2005, 02:25 AM
I have tried Hirocks before. I have to admit, I wasnt really impressed. Very dense and very dirty. I need live rock for this tank, stuff thats not so fossilized. I wnat a lot of fish, so I have to have the good rock, even tho it costs more.

Thanks for the thought though Dugg, I really appreciate it.

n8duncan
09/11/2005, 06:00 PM
I hope you patent the rights on the coral miracle grow you are using....lol

You have a great looking tank and keep us all posted on the monster.

N8

n8duncan
09/11/2005, 06:00 PM
I hope you patent the rights on the coral miracle grow you are using....lol

You have a great looking tank and keep us all posted on the monster.

N8

pwhitby
09/11/2005, 06:20 PM
im surprised how well things grow, I do have a LOT of light over this tank. Im not sure I will have the same intensity over the next one.

Paul.

dugg
09/11/2005, 07:08 PM
Paul, have you considered or looked into Solatubes for lighting. I have seen a few tanks that have tham, and they look real nice. You can get them without the UV block, and they don't transmit any heat. I would think they would pay for themselves in about 2 months of electric, considering the amount of MH light you will be needing. They also transmit the moonlight.

dugg
09/11/2005, 09:28 PM
Here is a link to some photos of a beautiful large tank lighted with solatubes, and VHO actinic supliments.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/aurorabridal/Doc1.htm

rogert
09/12/2005, 09:31 AM
dugg,is it just me ? I cant get the link you posted to work for the tank with solatube

MyMonkey
09/12/2005, 09:33 AM
Worked for me. Great idea. Tank looks great too.

pwhitby
09/12/2005, 12:39 PM
I noticed that there arent any SPS in that tank. Infact, the leathers he has would die in a day under the lights I run. Im not sure they would be bright enough for waht I want. Besides, I dont want to fit skylights on the front of my home.

You are correct tho Dugg, they certainly save a bunch of money.

Paul.

dugg
09/12/2005, 07:25 PM
I am having a new roof built on my house this spring, and having 4 solatubes installed over where i plan to put my built in tank. Hopefully not for nothing lol. There is a thread in the advanced topic forum about solatubes, that is very interesting. There are several people using them on all types of tanks, that are reporting extrmely good growth on both soft and sps tanks. I was figuring a savings of around $150 to $200 a month on electricity alone. Granted there aren't as many sunny days in Oklahoma as there are here, but they can be easily supplimented for the cloudy days. Also i haven't been able to find the other thread that i originally read about the tubes, but it was about fiberoptic lighting, and had several solatube lighted tank pictures posted in it. The moonlight pictures are awesome to see. You can actually see the moon at the surface of the tank, and the clouds floating by on a cloudy day.

Also on another subject all together, i talked to Prater today, and he said to tell everyone HI.

dugg
09/12/2005, 07:36 PM
rogert, the pictures come up blank at first, but they do pop up after a few seconds.
If you can't get them to work from this thread, the pictures are posted in the advanced topic forum, under a thread about solatubes, on page 10, about half way down the page. Also if you can get the search function to work, look for a thread on fiberoptic lighting. There are lots of photos in that thread showing solatube tanks.

The solatubes shimmer like MH lighting, and the rays move across the tank as the sun crosses the sky, highlighting different areas of the tank as the day passes.

rogert
09/12/2005, 08:00 PM
dugg, It worked after I gave it a chance, we still only have dial up where I liveand it is a pita. I am going to look at the rest of those threads
Thnx

dugg
09/12/2005, 08:37 PM
If you can catch the search function working, look up a thread, i think it's called Fiberoptic lighting for a reef tank? It has some very interesting information on both fiber optic lighting, and solatubes. That thread has some excellent pictures posted in it.

They still have dial up? lol I remember it well.

pwhitby
09/12/2005, 09:38 PM
Well hopefully my tank is in the beginning stages of construction, time to move attention to the room it will go in.

Several people asked me at the meeting on sat how im going to do it. Well, my dining room is long enough to partition off about 7 feet and leave a good size remaining. I plan to put a partial wall up with the tank inset, but not behind the wall. That way I can make a surround about the tank, with cupboards below, or even book cases or something, and have doors above for access.

Here is the basic idea:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/roomlayout-tank.jpg

the tank pipework will run across the floor through the back wall into my garage (the pink colored area at the far rhs). In there will be the sumps, refugium, chiller, reactors etc.

Paul.

dugg
09/12/2005, 10:00 PM
That is going to be beautiful Paul. If i put a tank like that in my dining room, i would be fat i no time. You would never get me out of there. Just staring and eating 24/7. You are making it real hard for me to wait on building mine lol, i can't wait to see your's finished. I am sooo jealous, and the wife is sooo nervous lol.

pwhitby
09/12/2005, 10:02 PM
a long way to go before water goes in....but all in due time.

pwhitby
09/13/2005, 09:27 AM
Several people have asked me where I am getting the tank from. I shopped around a great deal before deciding on where i was going with. I ended up going with ART, a local store in Oklahoma city. Gary Walker, the owner, has had a couple of tanks come into his shop that I had the chance to look at. The last one he had in was a nice 8 foot acrylic tank, the seems were very well done and the whole tank was put together really nicely. The person he uses is in Dallas and they have a long standing relationship. Both Gary and the manufacturer were really easy to deal with and answered a whole slew of questions before we decided on the final layout. Overall, I have been really happy with what i have seen and the ordering process.

Gary has a lot of expertise on large tank setups having worked on installation of some HUGE tanks across the country. if you get chance, swing by his store and look at his photo collection. When you have to dive in a tank to clean it.....then you know it qualifies as big.

Paul.

aaparkr
09/25/2005, 04:54 PM
I volunteer to assist if I am off work. I take instruction well and can handle a lot of weight. Do you have a target date? I'm off Wednesday and Sunday most weeks. I could be there by 6PM any day, but I suspect you would be finished with the heavy stuff by then. I will be out of town in the middle of October too.

Tony

pwhitby
10/08/2005, 02:28 PM
I just received a couple of pictures from ART, forwarded from the manufacturers.

This is the back panel, overflows have been cut into it. * feet long, 30 inches tall

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/tankpic3.jpg

this it the top panel, partially cut.....8 feet by 4 feet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/tankpic6.jpg

and here it is with all the openings cut.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/tankpic7.jpg

Ill post more as and when I get them.

Paul.

padixon2
10/08/2005, 03:34 PM
jealous already....scuba party at pauls house when he gets it set up, haha

drjrose
10/08/2005, 07:42 PM
It is hard to type while salivating. I hope to hear back from ART soon.

pwhitby
10/11/2005, 12:54 PM
I just received a second round of pictures:
heres the front, cut, ready to be added.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/DSCN0133.jpg

here are partially assembled pics of the front:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/DSCN0132.jpg

the side:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/DSCN0130.jpg

and the back panel showing the detail of the overflow. The overflows are on the back, and are to be added.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/DSCN0131.jpg

Regards,

Paul..

Travis L. Stevens
10/11/2005, 01:00 PM
Paul, what is an estimated time of arrival at your house with this behemoth?

pwhitby
10/11/2005, 01:23 PM
Either next week, or first week in nov. I have to go out of town in 10 days for a week, so will not be about to move it then.

P.

MyMonkey
10/11/2005, 02:36 PM
Odd. I am going oit of town on the 23rd for 7 days as well. We are headed to St. John. Woohoo!

pwhitby
10/15/2005, 03:21 PM
here is another pic I just received. The top and bottom are on, just waiting on the overflows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/completetank-nooverflow-2.jpg

im getting excited.

xouttheeyes
10/15/2005, 04:22 PM
What a monster!!

bigB
10/15/2005, 05:04 PM
I am excited for you paul. I cant wait tell its up and pumping at the christmas meeting :bounce1: :bounce1: :bounce1: :bounce1:

pwhitby
10/15/2005, 06:48 PM
Hey Bil, the December Meeting will probably be at TimVs home.

As far as monsters go...heres the tank That Gary is working on....makes mine look like a baby....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/BA_Bass_Pro_Oct_14_2005__13_.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/Bass_pro__7_.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/BA_Bass_Pro_Oct_14_2005__45_.jpg

im glad I have no pumps this size, 7 hp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/Bass_pro__5_.jpg

it was because of Gary's experience with large tanks I chose him to help with the design and layout of my new system.....as I said, this one makes mine look teeny weeny.

DizziDezi2
10/17/2005, 01:42 PM
paul where did you take those pics??

pwhitby
10/17/2005, 01:44 PM
The new Bass pro in Tulsa.

TheMcs
10/17/2005, 04:44 PM
uh, I believe you mean the new Bass Pro in BROKEN ARROW! ;)

Cool, didn't know Tim was involved in that.

keckles
10/17/2005, 05:07 PM
What's a Broken Arrow? :confused:

chris4693
10/17/2005, 07:17 PM
Isn't a Broken Arrow the term the government used when they lose a Nuke?

aleiodubua
10/17/2005, 07:40 PM
lol, yeah, that's the code.

TheMcs
10/18/2005, 01:11 PM
Too bad they don't 'broken arrow' at the BAPD.

Kyle McClain
10/23/2005, 09:59 AM
Paul,

It only took two of us to place the 500 gallon tank we place at the childrens place a few years ago. Granted we had a wide open space to work in and only one door to move it through.

Who is making your tank?

Kyle McCLain

LotR Clown
10/23/2005, 08:53 PM
Paul,
PM me when you need help. If I'm not working, I'll give you a hand.

Kevin

pwhitby
11/01/2005, 01:17 PM
Guess what I will be doing thursday.......????????

Travis L. Stevens
11/01/2005, 01:22 PM
Eating?! Sleeping?! Using the restroom?! It's got to be one of those. I hope "shower" falls in there, too. All of this should occur, of course, after you set up that 600g tank!!!!

Seriously though, how are you going to do it? Just get the dry goods set up first? Will you do 600g of freshwater and then cycle it? Or will you dump everything over and then top off with fresh saltwater? Are you worried about kicking up any hydrogen sulfide from your sand?

pwhitby
11/01/2005, 01:30 PM
On thursday i go get the little baby.

pwhitby
11/01/2005, 01:38 PM
Travis, the basic plan:

Rewire half the house
Build a stand (steel or wood)
Set Tank on Stand.
Begin plumbing
Modify garage to a fish room, fit AC unit shelves etc.
Buld 3 100g sumps interconnected. One for macroalgaes.
Add 500-600lbs sand (pre-cured by mixing with old tank water for a several weeks)
Finish plumbing
Add 600g water
Connect sumps and get water flowing
Connect new tank with old tank via the old tank sump.
Run both at same time to get same water conditions.
Add cured rock to new tank
Move old rock and livestock to new tank
Decommission old tank.
Move lights over to new tank
Build wall around stand/tank
build cabinetry for tank.
Pop a beer.

Travis L. Stevens
11/01/2005, 02:05 PM
That sounds like one heck of a plan. How long are you expecting to have it take? Think it will be done by the end of the year?

Also, do you plan on adding any more rock?

NewBeReef627
11/01/2005, 02:05 PM
Are you going to wait that long to pop a beer?

pwhitby
11/01/2005, 02:12 PM
i just bought back over 100lbs of large coral rock from hawaii, plus i have around 300lbs in my garage curing. Add that to the 400-500lbs I already have....should be enough.

P.

Lori....beer popping starts thursday..lol

Travis L. Stevens
11/01/2005, 02:29 PM
I would have been able to help with the beer popping, but I gave Poke75 what I had left of my beer at the Stillwater Mini Meeting. Can we bust a bottle of champagne over this behemoth like they do when they christen a ship?

pwhitby
11/01/2005, 02:31 PM
NOTHING touches the tank....

which makes it hard to move, I know....

ZC
11/01/2005, 03:31 PM
So what day are you thinking of moving the tank\needing help?

poke75
11/01/2005, 04:33 PM
Here Paul, I will help...

Rewire half the house
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Set Tank on Stand.
Pop a beer.
Begin plumbing
Pop a beer.
Modify garage to a fish room,Pop a beer, fit AC unit shelves etc.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Add 500-600lbs sand (pre-cured by mixing with old tank water for a several weeks)
Pop a beer.
Finish plumbing
Pop a beer.
Add 600g water
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Decommission old tank.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.

NewBeReef627
11/01/2005, 04:51 PM
poke75
That sounds more like it but I still think there is room for more. LOL

pwhitby
11/01/2005, 06:52 PM
you missed out...

"go get more beer"

Paul.

Gwalker
11/01/2005, 07:53 PM
You also forgot to put in a bathroom break somewhere!! I had to go just thinking about that much beer!

Gary

2ras
11/02/2005, 12:17 PM
Hey Paul,

Don't forget to call, when your ready for help.....
BTW, I don't care for beer.....Got Milk?

:D

hiflykitty
11/02/2005, 01:06 PM
I'll bring 'girl beer' for those of us who don't care for the more manly stuff.

pwhitby
11/02/2005, 02:28 PM
Once I have arranged details with Gary I will post and let anyone who cares to help move this into my garage a time when I will be moving it.

Thanks all.

Paul

pwhitby
11/02/2005, 08:59 PM
Ok...if anyone is available friday, around 6-7 pm and you wouldnt mind helping moving this tank please let me know. I think we will need about 8 people.

Ill provide beers, and non-beers.

Paul.

Travis L. Stevens
11/03/2005, 09:18 AM
We might be able to help. I will need to talk to wifey. Our plan was to go to Tulsa to run some errands, but I don't see why Edmond/OKC would be any different

poke75
11/03/2005, 05:49 PM
Wish I could help Paul, but that is SR. night for Stillwater High Football. I gotta go usher in the boys!!!

If you have to do it later, let us know. Be glad to help. I'm sure RamManOk would also. (right Tom?!?)

GO PIONEEEEERS!!!!

Steve

2ras
11/03/2005, 06:08 PM
If you mean tomorrow, Than I can help.....

Ray

pwhitby
11/03/2005, 10:52 PM
All problems have been solved, I have the tank safely in my house. It was lighter than I estimated....pictures to follow.

Paul.

pwhitby
11/03/2005, 11:13 PM
Well.....I actually got to see my new tank today.....and I have to say WOW. Its big.....much bigger in real life than the pictures show. The workmanship is awesome...im really impressed.

here are a few pics:

This is it sat on the dock waiting to be moved, from the back, showing the rear overflows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/mynewtank.jpg

a better idea of the size can be had from this pic, the person in the forklift is the fabricator and the person at the tank end is Gary, the owner of ART, who is supplying the tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/garytankforklift2.jpg

Ill post more later,

Paul.

pwhitby
11/03/2005, 11:25 PM
heres a few more:

Gary From ART, waiting to move this beast
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/garydoorwaytank.jpg

Moving on out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/garytankforklift.jpg

The team needed to offload into my grage (excuse the mess....)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/movingcrew.jpg
From left to Right: Tanner (non-reefer) TimV (vice president of COMAS), Chris (another non-reefer...but soon to be one), Gary, Doug (lazyreefer) and me.

And for size.....My tank and I
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/metank1.jpg

and my wife.....who has no problems with this beast entering our home....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/lynntank1.jpg

Thats all for now.....
Paul.

pwhitby
11/03/2005, 11:26 PM
Tom....

we popped a beer. LOL

SoonerFan732
11/04/2005, 06:37 AM
That's one large tank! Looks great!

Travis L. Stevens
11/04/2005, 08:12 AM
Looks amazing Pual! I can't wait to see more updates. Oh, and ignore my PM since you already have the tank moved in.

sarafielder
11/04/2005, 10:04 AM
Just out of curiosity, how long will it take for a tank of this size to cycle, or can you reuse the water in your 250 gal. tank to shorten the process? Also, I wonder what you're doing with your old tank?

NewBeReef627
11/04/2005, 10:53 AM
It's mine, It's mine. HaHaHa

I cant wait to get it.

Paul: Take your time. I am in no rush. I hope you haven't decided to keep it for a fuge.

Lori

pwhitby
11/04/2005, 11:27 AM
it will cycle reasonably fast since I have cured rock and will have cured sand, plus both my new tank and old tank will be connected to the same water system for a while.

Paul.

Bigbully
11/04/2005, 01:23 PM
Paul, I don't know when you are planning on doing it, but I Might be able(I have a baby that's due VERY soon) help with the re-wiring of the house. I am currently in the electrician's program at metro tech, so I know a little bit. I'd like to help though, and at least see your tank. Let me know.

Robert

ZC
11/04/2005, 06:13 PM
Tank looks SWEET Paul!!!

And your garage looks very clean too!

n8duncan
11/05/2005, 08:39 AM
Good lord that's huge. I couldn't get a real perspective of things until I actually saw someone standing next to it. It's looks great.

N8

Travis L. Stevens
11/07/2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Bigbully
Paul, I don't know when you are planning on doing it, but I Might be able(I have a baby that's due VERY soon) help with the re-wiring of the house. I am currently in the electrician's program at metro tech, so I know a little bit. I'd like to help though, and at least see your tank. Let me know.

Robert

If you get to help, see if you can get some extra credit for it :)

mdiddy7s
11/07/2005, 12:06 PM
Wow Paul, I am as impressed with your ability to encourage your wife to be content with it as I am of the actual size of the thing. Congratulations on both.
Mike D

pwhitby
11/07/2005, 12:16 PM
Actually, Lynn is pushing me to get this done...she seems to have plans for the space that my current tank resides in.

Paul.

mdiddy7s
11/07/2005, 03:06 PM
So, if I put a tank in a space that my wife wants to use and leave it there for about 2 years or so, then she will be ready to encourage me to put a saltwater pool in my dining room? I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip. lol! Really though, it is amazing. I would love to come by and see it some time.
Mike D

LotR Clown
11/07/2005, 04:23 PM
That is going to be a killer tank. Congrats! When is it going to be set up? Post more details on when and we'll try to make it over to help.

Kevin

pwhitby
11/09/2005, 11:08 PM
Construction begins this weekend. With the help of Steve (poke75) I will begin putting in the new electrical circuits.....well...Steve will. Ill be watching and trying to not get in his way.....

Paul.

poke75
11/10/2005, 02:24 PM
Paul,

Have you got your wave box thangy's in?

Steve

poke75
11/14/2005, 10:13 AM
We popped a Beer!!

poke75
11/14/2005, 10:20 AM
Here is your check list Paul. That way we can all keep up to date on how you are progressing!!

?ã-Deliver and Unload tank
?ã-Pop a beer
?ã-Rewire half the house
?ã-Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Set Tank on Stand.
Pop a beer.
Begin plumbing
Pop a beer.
Modify garage to a fish room,Pop a beer, fit AC unit shelves etc.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Finish plumbing
Pop a beer.
Add 600g water
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Decommission old tank.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.
Pop a beer.

poke75
11/14/2005, 10:21 AM
Well,,, those were check marks on my computer...

Travis L. Stevens
11/14/2005, 10:46 AM
So far so good I would have to say. Did you get any pictures?

poke75
11/14/2005, 10:58 AM
I don't have a wide angle lens for my camera!!

The tank was TOO BIG for me to get any pics! LOL. jk

no

pwhitby
11/14/2005, 05:33 PM
Steve,

Thanks for your time and effort yesterday.....Now I have an extra 4 20A circuits all ready and waiting for the new tank. I think I need a name for this project..... Any ideas?

Well.....4 items checked off the list. Not bad.....of course my input was more in the nature of popping the beer.

Its funny how peoples reaction on seeing this tank are the same as mine.....its way bigger in real life than in pictures.

Once again Steve, Thanks! you are a star.

Paul.

RamManOK
11/14/2005, 05:58 PM
don't tell him that Paul or his head will get even bigger :D

pwhitby
11/14/2005, 06:21 PM
OK...Ill keep quiet.

MyMonkey
11/14/2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks Paul for the Xenia. It seems to like the new small tank I have. :) Hope the lights do well.

dustin Combs
11/14/2005, 08:46 PM
IT'S HUGE!!!!!

I thought his 240 was big but ddddaaaannnngggg!!!

dustin Combs
11/15/2005, 04:14 AM
P,

I know you will be using tunze streams and wave boxes, are you going to keep your closed loop also?

d

Travis L. Stevens
11/15/2005, 08:02 AM

Its funny how peoples reaction on seeing this tank are the same as mine.....its way bigger in real life than in pictures.

I think my first reaction will be to hold myself back from getting a blanket and a pillow and crawing in. It's a dream tank after all :lmao: Ok...you can throw rotten tomatoes now....

MyMonkey
11/15/2005, 09:46 AM
:D When I saw the "Beast" I said the same thing. Wow, looks even bigger in person. Like a small car. I think my hot tub was a bit smaller.

dustin Combs
11/15/2005, 09:58 AM
we probably could turn up the heaters and make a soothing saltwater spa!! Just need to pop a beer!!

pwhitby
11/15/2005, 03:27 PM
Now now children play nicely. Thats my baby tank we are talking about.

Paul.

OrchidMan
11/15/2005, 04:54 PM
Now now children play nicely. Thats my baby tank we are talking about.

Paul.
WHAT'S IT GOING TO BE WHEN IT GROWS UP:eek1: If 600 is a baby we must be talking thousands. Now that I want to see.

Gwalker
11/15/2005, 07:27 PM
WHAT'S IT GOING TO BE WHEN IT GROWS UP If 600 is a baby we must be talking thousands. Now that I want to see.

Well is this what you were wanting to see. Its my next project, a 12,000 gallon saltwater FO exhibit. There's a orange 5 gallon bucket under the exhibit for a size reference. Not meant to steal any of Paul's thunder, he's still the king of residential reefs!!!!!

G

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84943BP_Saltwater_tank_const___4_.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84943BP_Saltwater_tank_const___1_.JPG

MyMonkey
11/15/2005, 07:36 PM
Hope that tank does not get Hair Algae Gary. :)

captbunzo
11/15/2005, 08:03 PM
Where is that tank, Gary?

mdiddy7s
11/15/2005, 09:50 PM
I am impressed that you are able to keep a store and do these kinds of projects. Where is this tank located? Is it going to be a public facility? is it the zoo? I thought that I remembered you saying something about another project with them.
Mike D

pwhitby
11/15/2005, 11:07 PM
Gary,,,,,,,,,,,tut tut.....I told you....I absolutely have to have the biggest tank.

Those are good pics..........makes me jealous

P.

asnatlas
11/15/2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Gwalker
Well is this what you were wanting to see. Its my next project, a 12,000 gallon saltwater FO exhibit. There's a orange 5 gallon bucket under the exhibit for a size reference. Not meant to steal any of Paul's thunder, he's still the king of residential reefs!!!!!

G

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84943BP_Saltwater_tank_const___4_.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84943BP_Saltwater_tank_const___1_.JPG

OMG.... :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: That is awesome...

Shawn

pwhitby
11/15/2005, 11:58 PM
GARY....this is MY THREAD! LOL

Seriously,its for projects like this that I chose Gary for help on the design and manufacture of my tank. After doing 12,000g sytems my little 600g is nothing.

I have seen a number of tanks Gary has done, they are superb.

Gary, show some of the shark exhibits.

Paul.

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 12:01 AM
Not meant to steal any of Paul's thunder, he's still the king of residential reefs!!!!!

G

Residential reef...I think thats the name for my new tank.

p.

asnatlas
11/16/2005, 12:11 AM
Residential reef...I think thats the name for my new tank.

p.

Hmm, maybe Columbus, Ohio can have the Asnatlas Residential Reef :)

Shawn

Russ Braaten
11/16/2005, 02:05 AM
....I told you....I absolutely have to have the biggest tank.

P.
Paul, It looks like Asnatlas already has a 600 reef tank. He beat you to it. Looks like you need to increase the size of your overflows to have a 610 reef so your ego can be intact. hahahaha

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 07:54 AM
I think Im beating Shawn (Asnatlas), at least on time anyway. I believe that his tank arrives this weekend coming. He and I have talked many times.

P.

asnatlas
11/16/2005, 08:31 AM
I think Im beating Shawn (Asnatlas), at least on time anyway. I believe that his tank arrives this weekend coming. He and I have talked many times.

P.

I am hoping to have my tank the last wk of Nov... I already have my stand built and with in the next wk I am hoping to have alot of things done in the fish room...

So is this race to see who gets water in the tank first :D ...

Shawn

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 08:47 AM
nah....you will win that one. Im in no rush to get this done. The earliest I envision having water in would be christmas.

Have to get the stand built first.

How much rock are you planning on Shawn? My thoughts are minimal rock volume to give more space for fish to swim. I plan on building platforms to support the rockwork.

Paul.

sixxer
11/16/2005, 08:56 AM
nah....you will win that one. Im in no rush to get this done. The earliest I envision having water in would be christmas.

How much rock are you planning on Shawn? My thoughts are minimal rock volume to give more space for fish to swim. I plan on building platforms to support the rockwork.

Paul.

Can I join the 600 club? My 96x48x30 shipped out today!:D

pwhitby: I agree with your thoughts on rock, less rock and more open space for the fish to cruise, and also provides more growth for the corals. I like the idea of building preliminary rock formations out of PVC and then covering the PVC with your rock. I saw a real nice example of this in the Reef Discussion forum, a large DIY plywood tank.

sixxer
11/16/2005, 08:58 AM
Check out the photos near the bottom of this thread, it shows the PVC before and after Live Rock.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=686757

asnatlas
11/16/2005, 08:59 AM

Paul.

I was just playing about the racing thing, I would not want you to rush as I am not going to rush myself... I kinda have a time like layed out, but if things get delayed (and prob will) then they get delayed... I was thinking about 400 - 500lbs of base rock... I ordered about 525lbs from Capt Jer at reeferrocks.com (http://reeferrocks.com) I was not planning on using all of that in the 600gal... I also have close to 600lbs of LR cooking in tanks as well that I will be placing into 600gal and 220gal (FOWLR) and the rest into the sump / ref... The way I am planning on doing my rock work I don't think PVC racks would work too good... Once I get the tank and play with the rocks, if the picture I have in my head does not work / look good then I have a backup plan and that involved some racks...

I am also debating a faux sandbed (epoxy with sand) or just cuttingboard, or maybe a small amount of sand in the display tank as I am going to have a DSB in the ref...

Shawn

asnatlas
11/16/2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by sixxer
Can I join the 600 club? My 96x48x30 shipped out today!:D

pwhitby: I agree with your thoughts on rock, less rock and more open space for the fish to cruise, and also provides more growth for the corals. I like the idea of building preliminary rock formations out of PVC and then covering the PVC with your rock. I saw a real nice example of this in the Reef Discussion forum, a large DIY plywood tank.

LOL

Ohio = 2

Oklahoma = 1

Shawn :D

Travis L. Stevens
11/16/2005, 09:04 AM
asnatlas, sixxer, what are your fish stocking lists going to be?

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 09:04 AM
Uhhhhhh we seem to be forgetting gary's 12,000g......on that basis

Oklahoma 21
Ohio 2.

LOL

Travis L. Stevens
11/16/2005, 09:05 AM
Should we include the one he finished working on at Bass Pro Shop in Broken Arrow?

sixxer
11/16/2005, 09:06 AM
Uhhhhhh we seem to be forgetting gary's 12,000g......on that basis

Oklahoma 21
Ohio 2.

LOL

Is that a 12000 gallon reef? How did I miss that tank!!!!!!

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 09:08 AM
Hey Sixxer...welcome to the Residential reefers

Thanks for the link. I like that concept, but still a little too open for my liking. I plan on a couple large areas of rock, but the inside will be open, the back will be open as well....that way fish can move through those areas. Kind of like Steve Weasts tank.

P.

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 09:08 AM
Actually, its a FO. Its going in to a local store.

P.

Travis L. Stevens
11/16/2005, 09:09 AM
But Alabama's 6 MILLION gallon FOWLR has both of our states combined beat.

sixxer
11/16/2005, 09:10 AM
Steve Weasts tank is amazing, always inspiring to go and look at his photos.

I am still deciding on my formations at this point. My tank is being set-up as a room-divider viewable from 3 sides, so lots of angles to take into account during aquascaping.

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 09:12 AM
Travis.....you are supposed to pulling for the home team.

asnatlas
11/16/2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by sixxer
Check out the photos near the bottom of this thread, it shows the PVC before and after Live Rock.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=686757

Thanks for the link that is a really cool setup... I love the rock work...

Shawn

Travis L. Stevens
11/16/2005, 09:25 AM
Travis.....you are supposed to pulling for the home team.

Okay....I have a 29g Reef...:rolleye1:

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 09:26 AM
Another option is to drill the rock and use acrylic rods pushed through to create the structures you want. Alternatively, zip-tieing rock together works pretty well.

sixxer
11/16/2005, 09:27 AM
Paul,

I don't know if I missed it, but what is your planned "Fish List" at this point?

captbunzo
11/16/2005, 09:37 AM
What store is that 12,000 gallon tank going in? Is that more for Bass Pro shop?

Russ Braaten
11/16/2005, 10:14 AM
Paul,

If you are concerned about having less rock and less filtration because of it, you can use rubble in the sump to get a lot of surface area for bio filtration.

You know how people used to use bioballs in their overflows or sumps? On my sump I have all the water flow into a chamber that is full of rubble and it is designed so all the water flows through the rubble and not just over it.

My biofiltration has worked superbly even after an accidental super bio-load.

Your overflow boxes would be great places to fill with rock. They are huge and not seen so why not use that space.

My rubble box is full of tube worms and pods.

Russ

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 10:22 AM
Russ,

I plan on a barrel of rocks in the garage area where all the sumps/refugium/frag tank will be. Exactly as you said.

Sixxer....

My Fish List:
this will be what I have and what I would like to add.

Already have:
Regal Tang
Whitecheek-Powder brown
Yellow Tang
Clown Tang
Purple Tang
SaIlfin Tang
10 Damsels (varying blues and yellows)
Mandarin
Six Line Wrasse
4 Line Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse
Mated Percs
mated tomatoes
bluethroat trigger

Would like to add:
4 Purple tangs
4 yellow tangs
30 green chromis
2 snowflake eels

That should pretty much do it I think.

sixxer
11/16/2005, 10:24 AM
Great list, especially your choice of tangs.

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 10:27 AM
I already have tangs I like most......I may add a naso for balance....

My "already have" list are fish in my 225g and my frag tank...these will all be moved to their new abode.

Gwalker
11/16/2005, 12:54 PM
Those are good pics..........makes me jealous

Don't be too jealous Paul. Just think of the cost and the huge electric bill that goes with these size tanks!!

Gary, show some of the shark exhibits.

Here's a couple from where I used to work @ Shark Reef Aquarium in Vegas. The first one I took while diving in the 1.2 million gallon shark exhibit. (I think to qualify to be a really big tank you have to have a . in the gallonage) Its one the public never sees, a view from the shark's point of view. The second is a shot of me feeding a stingray. It was taken before the opening for a publicity advertisement. This shot didn't make the cut but I'm glad I got a copy.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84943tiger_far.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/84943scan0002.jpg

I am impressed that you are able to keep a store and do these kinds of projects.

On big projects there is usually several companies involved. One to do the fabrication, one for life support installation, one for panel installation and one for maintenance. I usually do one or more and sometimes all of the above. The companies I work with require if at all possible someone with public aquarium experience and preferably large exhibit installation experience.

What store is that 12,000 gallon tank going in? Is that more for Bass Pro shop?

Yes it is. It is going into a new restaurant in the store. It opens in February so be sure to check it out.

G

Travis L. Stevens
11/16/2005, 01:28 PM
Paul, you need one of these in your 600g tank.

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/02mexico/logs/oct13/media/isopod_450.jpg

Gwalker
11/16/2005, 01:35 PM
Paul, you need one of these in your 600g tank.

That's a Bathynomus giganteus, a deep water isopod found in the gulf. We had some at the Dallas Aquarium. Thats the one sea creature that gives me the creeps!! Imagine filling your refugium with those isopods!!

G

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 01:39 PM
Travis......that is one ugly animal.

P.

Travis L. Stevens
11/16/2005, 03:09 PM
That's a Bathynomus giganteus, a deep water isopod found in the gulf. We had some at the Dallas Aquarium. Thats the one sea creature that gives me the creeps!! Imagine filling your refugium with those isopods!!

G

That is EXACTLY what it is. Imagine it latching on to your face! Oh wait, that was the movie Alien... :lmao:

drjrose
11/16/2005, 05:36 PM
Travis......that is one ugly animal.

Yea, but how would it taste with soy sauce and wasabi? mmmmmm...........isopods

pwhitby
11/16/2005, 05:40 PM
A leg for everyone...

MyMonkey
11/16/2005, 07:24 PM
That is sweet. Where can I get one? :)

aleiodubua
11/16/2005, 08:15 PM
Kinda looks like a mutant Rollie Pollie....Am I right?

hiflykitty
11/16/2005, 09:01 PM
aleiodubua--- you are right. roly polies are isopods. actually, they are one of the few examples of land isopods. the vast majority of isopods live in the ocean. just my 2 cents.

MyMonkey
11/17/2005, 07:57 AM
That's one smart Kitty. :)

pwhitby
11/17/2005, 01:13 PM
the fact remains.......its still an ugly creature

poke75
11/17/2005, 02:01 PM
Would my manderine try to eat it?!

asnatlas
11/17/2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by poke75
Would my manderine try to eat it?!

LOL I think it would try to eat your Mandarin...

Shawn

padixon2
11/18/2005, 08:14 PM
i shall call him George and love him and squeeze him and pet him....

pwhitby
11/18/2005, 10:37 PM
Cassandra,

One of my favorite quotes.

Paul.

mdiddy7s
11/21/2005, 03:48 PM
Any new pics? I am always looking forward to new pics of this project.
Mike D

pwhitby
11/22/2005, 03:07 PM
Sorry Mike, no new pictures.

I did chat with a custom steel fabricator today regarding a steel stand. Probably 2 inch steel tube, powder coated. I have to go visit with them and work through some designs, but its another step forward.

Paul.

mdiddy7s
11/22/2005, 03:55 PM
Wow, you are taking this to the max. I guess you would have to considering it will weigh at least 4800 lbs, not including the tank itself. Keep us posted. I have some experience with gopher work. I can gopher this and gopher that. Just let mw know what you need me to gopher and I will try to accomodate. Truly i would love to help if you need help with the final lift or whatever. I have christmas break from school and so my schedule should be a little more open.
Mike D

hiflykitty
11/22/2005, 11:52 PM
can't wait to see this beast set up and running.

aleiodubua
11/23/2005, 12:40 AM
I think everyone that posts on the COMAS Thread is eagerly awaiting this tank. I know I am.

asnatlas
11/23/2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by aleiodubua
I think everyone that posts on the COMAS Thread is eagerly awaiting this tank. I know I am.

I am a member of CORA in Col, Ohio and I am eagerly waiting... But then again I am bias as I am also putting a 600gal display in :)

Shawn

pwhitby
11/23/2005, 11:09 AM
I priced up a black tip reef shark yesterday.....only $1,300 for a 20 inch pup......hmmmmmmmm

Travis L. Stevens
11/23/2005, 11:16 AM
Premier Aquatics (The new shop in Tulsa) had a Banded Cat Shark in for $129.99

captbunzo
11/23/2005, 11:19 AM
Woah....

pwhitby
11/23/2005, 11:32 AM
You can get them reasonably priced.....but they are not as impresive as a "real" shark with tons of teeth. Theres no way I would get one, but wouldnt be cool to have a tank big enough to have the Bonnet sharks, the miniature hammerheads....

Maybe its time to talk to Lynn about my plans for the swimming pool.......

LOL

P.

pwhitby
12/02/2005, 02:30 PM
well....I ordered the stand today. Steel powder coated balck. Made from 2 inch square steel tube.

10 more days and ill be good to go!!!

Knyght
12/03/2005, 07:13 AM
Just out of curiosty Paul, who is doing your powder coating?

:beachbum:

pwhitby
12/03/2005, 02:16 PM
Gilmore powder coatings, Norman

pwhitby
12/12/2005, 12:29 PM
I just posted this in the large tanks forum, but thought I would share here as well.

I just went to visit with the guys building my stand....I have to say...I was really impressed.

They have already begun the welding. Modified my design slightly to add extra supports, but looking really good. here are a few pics. It was dark in there and the flash didnt really pull all the detail out, but you can get an idea.

Heres what its being made from
2 inch 11 gauge material.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/2inchtubesteel.jpg

and heres the progress to date.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/stand1a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/stand4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/stand3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/stand2.jpg

they are hoping to get the powder coating done tonight!

The stand was manufactured to within 1/32 tolerance. Cant beat that.

Paul.

exoticaquatics
12/12/2005, 01:54 PM
tim looks intrigued a little.

pwhitby
12/12/2005, 02:00 PM
He was laughing......its a monster.

Knyght
12/12/2005, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6269924#post6269924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by exoticaquatics
tim looks intrigued a little.

I think he is wondering what Paul is going to be keeping in a cage.

Looks nice, I bet you could park a cement truck on it. :cool:

asnatlas
12/12/2005, 03:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6270120#post6270120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Knyght
Looks nice, I bet you could park a cement truck on it. :cool:

I don't know about a cement truck, but looks like it can hold the almost 4 tons that will be on in :)

pwhitby
12/12/2005, 03:50 PM
Shawn....you need to rework the math.

The INTERNAL tank volume is approx 540g. Taking 8.33lbs/gal, gives approx 4,500lb add 500 for tank.

5,000lb

2.5 Ton. So there! (of course I didnt include the rock weight, but thats tough because of water displacement)

Its amazing how much the tank volume is reduced when you take internal measurements. Either way, 2.5 ton or 4 ton....would hate to have my toes under it when its full.

asnatlas
12/12/2005, 03:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6270805#post6270805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
Shawn....you need to rework the math.

The INTERNAL tank volume is approx 540g. Taking 8.33lbs/gal, gives approx 4,500lb add 500 for tank.

5,000lb

2.5 Ton. So there! (of course I didnt include the rock weight, but thats tough because of water displacement)

Its amazing how much the tank volume is reduced when you take internal measurements. Either way, 2.5 ton or 4 ton....would hate to have my toes under it when its full.

LOL, I was doing a ruff calc...

5k for water 1k for rock (yes there is displacement)... 500 for tank... So I was coming up with close to 3.5 (and stated almost 4 tons)... I was not getting down and dirty :)

pwhitby
12/12/2005, 04:00 PM
Now....if the tank were made of glass......like someones I know...then add another 1200lbs.

I have to admit...i hate thinking of the weight.

pwhitby
12/12/2005, 04:03 PM
Shawn...when do you envisage having water in yours?

Just curious....we both seem to have been doing this for a LONG time....I know your tank delivery has delyed you several weeks.

asnatlas
12/12/2005, 04:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6270889#post6270889 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
Now....if the tank were made of glass......like someones I know...then add another 1200lbs.

I have to admit...i hate thinking of the weight.

LOL, lets say easy 1k...

I agree, I don't like thinking about all of that weight... Just makes me worry...

asnatlas
12/12/2005, 04:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6270924#post6270924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
Shawn...when do you envisage having water in yours?

Just curious....we both seem to have been doing this for a LONG time....I know your tank delivery has delyed you several weeks.

Well I am hoping to have the tank this Fri... Planning on having water in it with in a wk or two of that, but we'll see... I am in no hurry as I want it done right the first time...

pwhitby
12/12/2005, 04:14 PM
im planning on christmas-new year week......I realy need to get my corals moved, they are killing eachother they are getting so crowded.

dugg
12/12/2005, 07:20 PM
Paul, what have you done for reinforcing the floor? With that much weight, you really should be pouring about 6, 2 ft piers. It won't take much settling from a long dry summer to cause your floor to start cracking and enentually sinking with that much weight on it. If it were a solid object, you may be ok, but with a liquid object, that shifts it's weight, even if slightly, i would go for the better safe than sorry approach on this one. It's not a big deal at all to pour some support piers, then you know it will be safe. I have worked on a lot of homes in the OKC area, and not many of them don't have a few cracks in the floor. One crack within a few feet under that monster, and you could come home to a MAJOR disaster one day.

They sell the cardboard tubes you use to pours piers at HD cheap. It just takes minutes to saw out a square hole in the slab and dig out the sand 2ft deep. The slab will only be between 2 and 4 inches thick, depending on how broke the builder was the week your slab was poured. This would also make a perfect opportunity to run a floor drain that could insure this thing never floods your house.

Gwalker
12/13/2005, 12:25 AM
"The INTERNAL tank volume is approx 540g"

With the thickness of material and length of overflow teeth it would acctually come to 542.14 gallons. Of course your going to have a little standing water in the overflows as well, but whos counting. LOL-I'm just trying to help you out, I know how much you want to have the biggest reef and every gallon counts!!

Knyght
12/13/2005, 09:25 AM
What about sump volume? Are you counting that as well. It will add gallons and therefore weight if you are keeping it under the tank in the stand.

pwhitby
12/13/2005, 09:55 AM
Sumps are in the garage.

Knyght
12/13/2005, 09:56 AM
I have got to get up there sometime and see this thing and the plans you have for it.

pwhitby
12/15/2005, 09:21 PM
update time.

The stand is finished and is light enough for two people to move easily enough. I estimate around 300lbs.

Here are a few pics:

First off the full thing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/finishedstand2.jpg

and

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/finishedstand1.jpg

the top:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/finishedstand4.jpg

and i tried to get a pic to show how flat the finished tube work was...you can get the idea from this I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/finishedstand3.jpg

Hope to get this to my house next week ready for the tank to sit on.

Paul.

Gwalker
12/15/2005, 10:07 PM
Don't forget to rent a U-haul:lol: :lol: :lol:

mdiddy7s
12/15/2005, 10:09 PM
I can get a trailer if you need. Just call.
Mike D

pwhitby
12/15/2005, 10:26 PM
The fabricators will deliver....I just need to tell them when.

Like I said, two people can move it pretty easy.

P.

asnatlas
12/15/2005, 11:58 PM
Very nice :) I am pretty sure my next large tank (larger then 600gal) will have a steel stand...

pwhitby
12/16/2005, 10:03 AM
LARGER THAN 600 ...Shawn....the madness has stop.

We have an oklahoma chapter of reefkeepers anonymous if you want to join

asnatlas
12/16/2005, 02:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6297255#post6297255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
LARGER THAN 600 ...Shawn....the madness has stop.

We have an oklahoma chapter of reefkeepers anonymous if you want to join

ROFL, I don't know how much larger, and it will not be until years down the road... Like 8+ when I move... But once this spending spree is finished I will be saving towards that...

pwhitby
12/18/2005, 03:26 PM
Im in the process of figuring water flow options....I was thinking of a sequence 4200 pump connected to an OceansMotions 4 way. I already have an OM squirt, and I love it. Each of the outlets would be split to give 8 returns in total. Two of thse would be at the front of the tank...the rest on the sides and back. Heres the basic idea. Im hoping that as it cycles (15s per outlet) it will create a partial wave in teh water, 30 seconds from left to right then 30 from right to left...at least thats what I hope.
The pump will do 4,000g/hr so thats a fairly decent force of water.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/flowcopy.jpg

Maybe add to that a couple tunzes on a controller or a wavebox....I think im set.

Paul.

poke75
12/18/2005, 11:03 PM
Where are you going to find those cool colors of PVC?

pwhitby
12/19/2005, 12:49 PM
well since we had a vote on cool colors....I now know what I need. I may get one of those watercolor sets and paint them by hand.

Anyway...we should ask Ray that question....I may have him do the plumbing....he made an awesome job of his!

I think when the plumbing is done it will look like a small oil refinery. I didnt add in my diagram the 4 overflow pipes and the 2 returns from the sump.

Paul.

Knyght
12/19/2005, 12:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6316703#post6316703 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
well since we had a vote on cool colors....I now know what I need. I may get one of those watercolor sets and paint them by hand.
Paul.

I would advise against the watercolor set and recommend using instead sharpie markers.

pwhitby
12/19/2005, 12:57 PM
Good call Greg.

pwhitby
12/19/2005, 12:58 PM
well...the snow delayed delivery of my stand, they called very early this morning to ask if it was Ok to reschedule. Looks like tomorrow....unless we get more snow falling

asnatlas
12/19/2005, 01:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6316766#post6316766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
well...the snow delayed delivery of my stand, they called very early this morning to ask if it was Ok to reschedule. Looks like tomorrow....unless we get more snow falling

Dang snow :mad:

For your colors, instead of paint or sharpies, you can use colored electrical tape :)

pwhitby
12/20/2005, 09:49 AM
True to their word, My stand arrived this morning....Now the fun can begin....

Travis L. Stevens
12/20/2005, 10:16 AM
....the fun of taking more pictures for us?..... :D

pwhitby
12/20/2005, 10:28 AM
for you Travis....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/stand-garage1.jpg

Travis L. Stevens
12/20/2005, 10:32 AM
Oh that is AWESOME looking!!! Are you going to put some sort of waterproof coating over it? I know it is "powdered", but what about many coats of some varnish? Would that deter scratches?

Don't forget a coat out in your garage there. It looks a little chilly.

Also, you have PM

pwhitby
12/21/2005, 01:58 PM
While working on the designs for this tank I really needed to get a feel for how I was going to plumb it all and where all the power was coming from etc...So..I decided to draw a picture. Having plenty of time to spare I thought it would be cool to draw one like Twize and other people have done for their large setups. Before I began I always assumed that they did these just for show. I have to tell you, I learned a lot that I hadnt thought about regarding the layout of the "fish room". Below is what I came up with. There are still modifications to be made to this basic layout:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/flowfishroom-sm.jpg

Once I had the layout figured I began running through my head what I would need for this to work as I designed. The reservoir tank is there to make water changes easy. The basic idea is to isolate it from the sytem at the two valves in and out of it drain the water refill it with RODI add salt, heat it up and reopen the valves. I then realized I hadnt added a drain to the reservoir nor a feed from the 200g storage drum. Ok..so its no big deal, but by doing that now on paper I save myself headaches down the way.

Plus....I know how many bulkheads to buy before I begin.

The system incorporates an auto top off on the main receipt/return tank. This keeps water levels constant. The flow is split, most goes thru the chiller to the tank. Part gets routed up the wall to the chaeto tank, from there the oxygen rich water goes through my shallow frag tank to flow down into the reservoir or receipt tank. I was thinking of adding an extra barrel in there full of rock rubble to help in filtration....im still undecided about that one.

P.

Knyght
12/21/2005, 02:44 PM
Nice drawing Paul, just one question though. Why are you feeding the chaeto and frag tank from the return? Why not just tee it off the tank drain line, wouldn`t that increase the return pump`s volume back to the display, instead of taking away from it to feed those tanks?

pwhitby
12/21/2005, 02:51 PM
the drawing is misleading in that both the tank return and feeds do not go "up" the wall but through the wall at ground level. Thats why the tanks need to be fed from the return pump.

The idea is tank water hits the skimmer first, hopefully removing most of the crud. The skimmer outflow will drain over a basket to catch large waste particles, before hitting the main reservoir tank. From there the main pump feeds back to the show, or up to the chaeto.

pwhitby
12/21/2005, 02:53 PM
Im also of the opinion that its better to remove a little water from the tank through the overflows than a lot, that way you concentrate the ratio of surface film to water hitting the skimmer. Improves the overall skimmer efficiency.

Im not concerned about flow in the main tank being created by the return pump, thats the job of the CL and tunzes.

Knyght
12/21/2005, 03:08 PM
Makes sense, I just thought from the drawing that the lines rose vertically. ;)

pwhitby
12/21/2005, 03:24 PM
yeah, I knew where your question came from Greg.

P.

captbunzo
12/21/2005, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6332385#post6332385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
Im also of the opinion that its better to remove a little water from the tank through the overflows than a lot, that way you concentrate the ratio of surface film to water hitting the skimmer. Improves the overall skimmer efficiency.

Im not concerned about flow in the main tank being created by the return pump, thats the job of the CL and tunzes.

Well said, Paul!

pwhitby
01/05/2006, 10:56 PM
An update on my lack of progress.....

My Bulkheads have arrived, 16 1.5inch bulkheads and 2 strainers for the main CL intakes.

The larger Sch 80 Bulkheads have come from Savko and are ready for the overflows.

Heres a pic of what they look like. If you have not seen the Sch80s they are much larger in construction and consequently require a larger hole for them to fit through. FWIW...glass cages tanks are drilled for sch80 bulkheads. Regular bulkheads will not work....just thought I would pass that along.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/bulkheads.jpg

and without the strainer fitted so you can compare sizes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/bulkheads2.jpg

I can begin the drilling and placement of the bulkheads ready for installation of the rest of the plumbing.
I still need to order the OM 4 way and a reef flo pump, but Im guessing it will be a few weeks before they are needed.

The next step is to mark out my dining room and get the edge of the tiles cut ready to take up. I had laid tile in this room a while back not thinking that i would be doing such a large tank.....Im glad I hadnt grouted them in. I hate grouting and I would be mad if I had wasted my time doing that.

Here is a shot of my dining room, as it stands right now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/diningroom1.jpg

As you can see, it is quite long. The chest thing on the left side is the housing for my current sump. That will be going. You can see the window on the right which is where the false wall will be going in front of and the door for access at the left.

As I said, next job is to mark the tiles where the stand and false wall will be and get them up.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/diningroom4.jpg

thats my task for the weekend.

Paul

Knyght
01/06/2006, 02:07 PM
Have fun tearing up stuff :D

pwhitby
01/06/2006, 02:15 PM
Im just gald I decided to put this tank in before I grouted them in.

I have tons of spares, so if I ever need to replace them on the floor that wont be an issue

Knyght
01/06/2006, 02:17 PM
Wish I didn`t have so much to do here, I would come help ya.

*Master of Disaster after all :D*

pwhitby
01/08/2006, 06:55 PM
Well...i did the task I set myself this weekend:

Some pics for those who may be interested.

I laid out the wall and the base of the tank in painters tape on the floor. I dont have tile laid where my sump currently sits (on the LHS) do only one side of the wall and the tank are laid out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/outline2.jpg

The tank sticks out from the false wall by 6 inches.

So....tile saw in hand I cut the line at the front so I dont need to re-lay those tiles. Then, 14lb hammer in hand and a cold chisel and pry bar....i began stripping tile.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/having_fun2.jpg

Next job, layouit the base struts of the stand and remove every tile that touches the stand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/leg_positioning.jpg

then clean up....(I hate that part)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/paul-w/finalcut-floor.jpg

If anyone is wondering why I left some tiles down, it makes it easier to realign the tile on the day I come to re-lay the tile when I may sell my home. Hopefully not for a while.

Next step....Get the current sump for my 225 moved and then get the stand in and positioned.

Paul.

Gwalker
01/08/2006, 10:30 PM
If anyone is wondering why I left some tiles down, it makes it easier to realign the tile on the day I come to re-lay the tile when I may sell my home. Hopefully not for a while.

Ah! Who are you kidding! You'll just have to leave the 600 when you sell the house, and when you find your new house, You'll have me build a 1200 gallon for you!!;)

Hows a 8'x6'x3' sound to you??? Its a good yield on material......

Gary

Travis L. Stevens
01/09/2006, 09:10 AM
Beautiful, Paul. Thank you for sharing. I assume your wife was kind enough to play into taking pictures of you geared up to make us think you were working on it? :lmao: We know you contracted someone else out to do your dirty work ;) :D Seriously, it looks great and it seems to be going along smoothly. Did you hit any "pot holes" while working or planning anything?

aaparkr
01/09/2006, 08:15 PM
I had heard you were good with tile. Putting it down and taking it up equally well I see. I have to agree with Gary. Let me know when you want to move. I'd love a house with a 600 gallon reef built in.

Tony

pwhitby
01/09/2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks Tony....

If anyone needs tile laying....I have done a fair amount.

I will be laying tile once I have that sump moved. Im not looking forward to that job, It shouldnt be a major task, but its heavy even when drained, so it may need a couple of hands extra.

Paul.

Knyght
01/10/2006, 12:26 AM
What size is your sump?

pwhitby
01/10/2006, 08:10 AM
The one I currently have is 75g with about 150lb sand in it.

Knyght
01/10/2006, 10:51 AM
Well silly, take the sand out of it..*MAJOR pain*, then you can carry that sump in by yourself, and you won`t have to take the chance of busting out the bottom :D
Of course that`s no fun...;) ;)

aaparkr
01/10/2006, 08:20 PM
I'm off Wednesday (1/11). Lots of errands and tasks, but I can come by and help day or evening. Do you have my cell #?

Tony

pwhitby
01/10/2006, 09:21 PM
I probably will not be doing anything till the weekend, but thanks anyway Tony.

P.

aaparkr
01/11/2006, 08:14 AM
I just re-read the info on the sump... since my 'tank' is a 75. I didn't know you could move those things when they are full of sand, rocks, etc. Even empty, I had help moving mine to make it easier.

Some day perhaps I'll have weekends off again (sigh).

Tony

JasonF
01/11/2006, 08:45 AM
Some day perhaps I'll have weekends off again (sigh).

Tony

You and me both brother.

Knyght
01/11/2006, 09:51 PM
I have an appt. in Edmond Sunday Paul. If your not done when I get out I can swing by and help you anyway that I can.

pwhitby
01/11/2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the offers guys. Ill let you know if I need help.

I will certainly need help once I begin moving the tank in.....
I think beers may be in order that day.

P.

Gwalker
01/12/2006, 12:15 AM
Well, you know I owe you one, just let me know. I also have some handy equipment if needed...

Gary