PDA

View Full Version : lighting

Bugzme
09/14/2005, 09:52 PM
My lights seem to have a mind of their own! they turn on and off at all different intervals. I have the ac2 please help

clp
09/14/2005, 10:09 PM
What are you using for control (X-10 or Direct Connect)?

Curt

Bugzme
09/15/2005, 08:06 AM
x-10's

clp
09/15/2005, 10:47 AM
Here are a few things to check/try:

- Make sure that the control interface is plugged into the AquaController with a 4 conductor telephone cord. The light should blink off when commands are sent out, but otherwise will be on.
- Make sure that the control modules x10 addresses match the configuration of the AquaController. The default AquaController program is listed in the back of the manual.
- The control interface and control modules should plug into the same circuit. If not, you may need to install a signal bridge.
- Do no use power strips with active surge suppression as they can attenuate the x10 signal. Use inexpensive powerstrips.
- With the AquaController try to turn on and off the control modules. Go to Control & Status -> Manual Control. Select the device you are having trouble with and repeatedly turn it on and off. Note that commands are only sent out when you press the select button.
- If you have added any new equipment to your tank, turn it off, and then repeat the Manual control test.
- Try switching to an unused X10 address on the control module and in the AquaController’s configuration.
- Try swapping the control module with a known good one and see if the problem persists.
- Try power cycling the AquaController. Remove the 9V battery and unplug the AC adapter at the same time.
- If nothing is working try shutting off all appliances around your tank, and then try the manual on/off test. If something is causing X10 interference around your tank, it is likely an electronic ballast.

Curt

Bugzme
09/15/2005, 05:06 PM
i have a microwave on the same circuit at the tank. could that be the problem or the 5 electronic ballasts that i have on the tank?

Bugzme
09/15/2005, 09:18 PM
so how do the dc modules connect? is it easy or a pain in the butt?

clp
09/16/2005, 11:36 AM
The electronic ballasts could be causing the problem. Try shutting them off and see if you can then control devices. I don't think the microwave is the problem.
The DC boxes connect directly to the AquaController with a telephone cord. They are quite easy to hook-up and configure, and will not have the interference issues of an X-10 module.

Curt

Bugzme
09/16/2005, 03:36 PM
now i'm having troubles with my temp probe! one minute it reads 80 and the next 38. i'm starting to lose faith in the controller. i moved one of the x10's to the other side of the tank and it works right now ( i think). how far away does the electronic ballast have to be from an x-10?

clp
09/16/2005, 03:56 PM
Distance will not solve interference issues with X10 controlling devices. If you use X10 then you will have to find the device causing the interference and install a noise filter on it.
Make sure that the temp probe is firmly plugged into the connector. Sounds like an intermittant connection to me. I sure hope that you didn't remove rubber cap from the end of the temperature probe, or the probe is ruined.

Curt

Bugzme
09/16/2005, 04:10 PM
i didn't remove it! it's still going crazy! So is the noise going through my power cords? Why would it be an intermittent thing? Apparently the noise filter has to be put on the power side of the device Right?

Bugzme
09/16/2005, 04:14 PM
So if i bought a dc and run all my electronic ballasts through it would that solve the problem of interferance with the other x-10's i'm running?