PDA

View Full Version : I want to get a clam, have ?'s

ctopal
09/18/2005, 07:51 AM
I would like to get a clam, I'm a little confused with all of the reading I've done. I have a 90 gal with 2 150 watt 10,000k MH and 2 actinics. I leave the MH on 8 hours and actinic for 10.

Does my lighting limit me to what species I can have? Could I do a Crocea?

Tank is 2 feet deep and I want to keep on sandbed, or rock on sandbed, does this also limit me?

I plan on getting a clam that is at least 4" so the zoozanthelai is well established. I've heard back & forth about feeding, will it really be necessary? What should I feed & how often.

I've also seen many suggestions for deresa as a 1st time clam, but I'm worried about the growth potential. Is my tank big enough?

Thanks!

HookedOnReefing
09/18/2005, 12:33 PM
A small Deresa in a 90 gallon on the sandbed with your lighting should be just fine. Don't worry about the growth potential, it takes years for them to get really large and by then you could trade it/sell it.

A crocea might be fine, but remember they are the most hungry for light, especially when they get larger. If you go with a crocea, place it higher in the tank on or in your rockwork rather than directly on the sandbed. Crocea's can do fine, but it's quite unnatural for them to be in/on the sandbed. They are usually found in/on LR and than there is the potential lighting issue as your tank is 24" tall and the lighting is probably suspended 6 to 8" above the water...

Goodluck!

ctopal
09/18/2005, 03:31 PM
I'll definitely stay away from the crocea for now. I went shopping around today, but didn't see any that I wanted, wasn't much out there today. I also saw squamosas, would they work at the bottom of my tank?

JR719
09/18/2005, 10:12 PM
Squamosas would work for the sandbed. They are not as light hungry as the others. You can find some really nice looking ones, for the right price of course. Croceas like the rock work and being high near the lights.