PDA

View Full Version : T. Crocea question - opening along bottom

TXLewis
09/29/2005, 02:14 PM
I have a T. Crocea that seems to be doing well. I noticed an opening in the tissue connecting the shell halves. This opening is on the bottom side of the clam (directly under the inlet siphon if viewed from the top). It is right in front of the mass of byssal threads connecting the clam to a rock. The opening does not show any signs of rot or injury. The opening is about a 1 mm diameter hole (whole clam is about 60 mm long).

Is this a normal thing? If not, any idea what caused it / why it is there? Anything I should do about it? Considering that the clam opens up and is depositing shell, I'm not inclined to change anything. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks!

mbbuna
09/29/2005, 04:35 PM
it normal it called the byssal opening

TXLewis
09/29/2005, 07:13 PM
Sorry - should have been more descriptive. The Byssal opening is presently occupied by a mass of threads attaching the clam to rocks. This opening is a separate opening in front of that one. It does not seem to be a continuation of the Byssal opening - there is a small piece of tissue between the Byssal opening and this hole.

mbbuna
09/29/2005, 07:17 PM
its all the same thing it just looks that way