PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jaw Trigger

cdl
10/03/2005, 10:49 PM
Henry,

Great article on the "reef-safe" triggers, however the one I purchased has an appetite for cleaner shrimp. He bit the one I've had in my tank for almost 3 years. I should say, bit him in half! I discovered this when my female clarkii clown was attempting to feed the remains of "jacques" to my bubble tip anemone, much to the chagrin of my wife, who I reassured that he would probably be OK. I knew it was a calculated risk, and the shrimp was at the end of its life cycle- nothing ventured, nothing gained.

In addition to the trigger (6", 2 wks.)The current mix of the tank (125 gal) is a Blue faced angel ( 5.5",7 mo), yellow tang (4.5", 3 yrs), Banded Goby (3.5" 1 yr.), six-line wrasse (2.5", 1 yr.), flame angel (3" 1 yr.), and 1 pair of Clarkii clowns ( Male 2.5", Female 3" ~ 1yr.). I have several corals, and the bubble tip, and am continuing to stock towards a full-blown reef.

Here is my question, The trigger will hover right behind the male clarkii's hangout ( a big mass of Anthelia). Could the trigger, go after him? I know they typically do not harrass clowns, but he did munch the shrimp, and those teeth are somewhat menacing, not to mention the size difference.

Right now, the pecking order is clearly BF Angel, Yellow Tang, trigger- The Female clown and the flame angel are pretty much a tie. Do you believe this will remain, or will the trigger become more aggresive? The Angel absolutely owns him at this point. He will chase him across the tank, grunting all the way.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

Chris