PDA

View Full Version : Can a clam function as a skimmer?

ILikeFish
10/15/2005, 11:48 PM
Willa clam siphon out undissolved organics?

BLKTANG
10/16/2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by ILikeFish
Willa clam siphon out undissolved organics?

:lol: .

Clams are indeed filter feeders,but WILL NOT work good as a skimmer.:lol:

SeanT
10/16/2005, 08:42 AM
Clams will filter some nitrates out of the water column.
But not at an efficient enough rate to replace a good skimmer, imo.
There are many reefers that don't use a skimmer at all though.

hth,
Sean

mbbuna
10/16/2005, 09:25 AM
the bioload that the clam has offsets any benefits of nitrate uptake,and skimmers don't remove nitrates but can remove compounds that in time will be converted into nitrates

HookedOnReefing
10/17/2005, 06:28 PM
Clams might not be able to take up all DOC's a protein skimmer can but they are extremely efficient nitrate reducers. They quite literaly suck them up out of the water at a high rate.

One clam might not make much difference, depending on size off-course, but several can do a good job.

Dr.Mac and other have used filters comprising of multiple clams as nitrate filters.

In commercial farming operations they even go so far as to introduce nitrates into the system to provide food for these fascinating animals.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes and no. It depends on A LOT of factors such as your bio load, amount and species of clams used, your feeding habits, etc.

ILikeFish
10/17/2005, 07:57 PM
Cool what can I keep in my 40brd with a 156w t5?

HookedOnReefing
10/20/2005, 02:03 AM
You can try Deresa, Squamosa or Hiphoppus (sp?). I wouldn't do Maxima or Crocea. The last 2 need the most light of all giant clams. Do remember that the clams suggested grow very big although it does take a few years. They are also hungry for calcium. Keep water conditions high and stable.

Goodluck!