PDA

View Full Version : DIY Phosphate management

reefclown
10/17/2005, 07:32 PM
There has been a trend in the UK to use commercial grade phosphate removal media( Read Arsenic removal media) as an alternative to branded phosphate removal compounds.

AFAICG, most aquatic products are simply repackaged arsenic removal media as used in water treatment plants, although you can never be sure.

Do you use Adsorpas or AD33 or E33 or any of the other general products and what have been your experiences to date? Most of the Uk expansion is based around GFO media, as AL media is not as popular.

The number of new phos removal products in the Uk is proliferating at a rapid rate, and the prices have dropped below the US prices(previously upto 50% greater), for the end user the price has dropped substantially, such that adsorbant based phosphate removal has become an truely afforable/viable commidity.

Is this also a trend in the US?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/19/2005, 10:27 AM
I don't think that a large proportion of aquarists in the US are buying bulk GFO themselves, but more often buy it from aquarium companies.

kmk2307
10/19/2005, 10:40 AM
If I knew where I could purchase bulk GFO I would be all over that. I have certainly searched for info on it and I have found lots of primary literature talking about its uses for arsenic removal. With the cost of Rowaphos and Phosban, I can't really afford to maintain the phosphates in my aquarium at the concentration I'd like them to be.

Kevin

reefclown
10/20/2005, 01:53 PM
here's a few leads to aid your search, extracted from a mailshot I got this morning:D

Bayoxide® E IN-20
Bayoxide® E IN-20 is a granular ferric oxide (GFO) media developed and produced by Lanxess. This media is similar in its chemistry and functionality to the Bayoxide® E33 developed during the late 1990s to Severn Trent Services’ specifications for application in drinking water Arsenic (As). Ferric ion oxide solids react with arsenic oxyanions to form a tight covalent bond as noted below. Selective for low arsenic levels in the presence of sulfate, carbonate and other oxyanions, GFO can adsorb as much as 20 g As per kg of dry media.

Bayoxide® E IN-20 is capable of removing over 500 parts per billion (ppb) As from water down to less than 10 parts per billion. In addition to drinking water As Removal, the product also has a high capacity for phosphate (PO4) and selenium (Se) removal.

Non-drinking Water Applications
Since the introduction of Bayoxide ® E33 to the drinking water markets, Bayoxide® E IN-20 media has been developed for application to other non-drinking water processes for As, PO4 and for heavy metals removal. It has been used for arsenic removal from mining and industrial wastewaters, selenium removal from refinery wastes and for phosphate polishing of treated municipal wastewaters.

Examples of tested and commercialized non-drinking water applications of the Bayoxide® E33 media include:

Aquarium PO4 Removal
Mining & Metallurgical Effluents As Removal
Food & Beverage Process Water Purification
Groundwater As Remediation
Domestic Wastewater PO4 Polishing
Refinery Wastewater As & Se Removal

Severn Trent Services and Adedge Technologies, Inc. have formed an alliance to provide arsenic removal systems to the U.S. and Canadian potable water treatment market. Severn Trent Services currently offers the commercially-proven and cost-effective SORB 33® process to reduce arsenic contamination in large municipal and industrial applications. Severn Trent's proprietary, NSF Standard 61 approved media is now being used in Adedge's new line of AD-33TM arsenic removal systems and products to treat 100 gpm or less. As an integral component of Adedge's small-community and non-community drinking water systems, the technology will also be applied to the point-of-use (POU) and point-of-entry (POE) residential marketplace.

Adedge Technologies, Inc. is a privately-owned provider and developer of specialty adsorbents, products and integrated solutions for the removal of contaminants from process or aqueous streams. Industries and applications include drinking water, chemical, pharmaceutical, environmental and wastewater.

The similararities between this product and one one the mainstream products is uncanny, the price differential is simply scarry

:strooper:

Hef
12/28/2005, 11:02 AM
I was just on the Adedge Tech site. Here is the FAQ for AD33. Anyone found anything wrong with this stuff yet?

http://www.adedgetechnologies.com/technology/ad33faq.htm

Tbohinc
12/28/2005, 11:10 AM
that sounds good wish I could find someone that used it before I give it a try

Snarkys
03/11/2007, 04:03 PM
anyone ever try this ?

zachtos
03/16/2007, 11:25 AM
I emailed them, hell yeah I'll use it, granulated ferric oxide is granulated ferric oxdide. Heck, I use Balls pickling lime for kalkwasser, baking soda for bicarbonate,, dow flakes for calcium chloride, epsom salts for magnesium... now I just need to find a calcium reactor media and salt mix that is safe as well to complete the industrial chemical circle.

kzooreefer
03/16/2007, 12:22 PM
did you get a price? randy provided a link not long ago on another thread to a website, boston reefers or something like that, where they did a group purchase from severn trent. i looked into it and severn trent will sell gfo but at a 2 cu ft minimum order which comes to about $500 ($250/cu ft) with shipping it is close to $600. adedge i don't think sells it any cheaper.

also there is a big difference between gfo and iron oxide. if you called a chemical supplier and asked for ferric oxide they would assume you meant Fe2O3 (iron oxide) gfo is FeO-OH there is a huge difference.

zachtos
03/16/2007, 12:37 PM
I spoke to Mike Barry at Adedge (AD33) - he said you can buy ferric oxide hydroxide 'AKA phosban' for $10-12/lb vs. phosban's $30/lb from several culligan dealers. He gave me a number,

Culligan - Flint, MI
Greg Cornell
810-232-1117

I'm told he can ship this in small quantities via UPS because it's a non hazardous material.

Who wants to call first and make his phone ring off the hook?

kzooreefer
03/16/2007, 12:54 PM
i believe the bulk price from severn trent's product would come out to about $6 a pound but like i said they only sell it in 2 cu ft increments, about 80 total pounds. so getting it for $10 a pound wouldn't be all that bad.

adedge actually was looking to buy the company i work for some years ago and i have a 25 pound sample of their product which i've been using in my tank. never did get around to using it here at work so it was never missed.

glaudds
03/16/2007, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9492286#post9492286 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zachtos
I now I just need to find a calcium reactor media .
Interesting, I think I will give Culligan a call.

I just ordered up some of this from MD on some recommendations from others who have used it with no issues....

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0150