PDA

View Full Version : Crocea Placement Question

Cluckr7
10/23/2005, 02:00 PM
Hey,

I have a question about the placement of my new Crocea.

Right now, I have it sitting on a flat rock about the size of it's footprint. Should I move it to a larger sized flat rock or is it fine where it is? I'm wondering if the bysal opening will get larger than the rock its on as it grows. I could also place it on a flat piece of acrylic. The acrylic I have is only 1/10 inch thick though, is this thick enough?

HookedOnReefing
10/23/2005, 04:20 PM
I think she'll be fine the way you have her now. Especially if she has already attached her self to the rock placed on, I wouldn't mess with her at all.

SEAMONSTER
10/24/2005, 03:49 AM
Yeah, I agree with hooked. My Blue Crocea has been attached to a piece of rock for around 8 mos or so. Placed it there when I bought it home. It is halfway to the surface of the water (croceas demand high-intensity lighting). Make sure that when you place a clam on a piece of live rock, it can stay there as gravity permits without any problems (not falling down or over, etc.) That it is stable without it being attached. If not stable, it places stress on the foot, byssal threads and the clam itself. Dont worry if it moves around though. It will stay attached but they do move to get the most light. Take care!

Unarce
10/24/2005, 05:14 PM
If it's already attached, I would just leave it. Considering the shell shape of croceas, a concave piece of rock is more suitable than a flat or convex piece.

You'll notice when croceas are in optimal health condition, their soft white flesh around the byssal area can extend well beyond the bottom of the shell.

HTH