PDA

View Full Version : ph Buffer 8.3 and your tank

redspot321
10/24/2005, 06:46 PM
I was just wondering how often you have to add buffer to your system.

I have a 125 Fo without LR. I have CC substrate and only 2 coral skeletons as decoration.

1 hippo tang
1 panther
1 maroon clown
1 cuban hogfish

All of these are med/small in size. I am having to add ph buffer weekly in addition to monthly water changes is this normal? I use RO/DI as well.

Thanks

EdKruzel
10/24/2005, 07:42 PM
Normal is an objective statement; most likely you feed heavily and keep the bioload at a very high level.

CC is usually a detritus trap, as waste breaks down it becomes acidic and when in excess for the volume of water, it will decrease the Ph.

Feed proper foods of mostly meaty substance, flakes and pellets will produce more waste than fresh foods.

Do not over feed.

I would also increase the circulation and ensure it varies throughout the day to reduce dead spots and keep waste in the water column longer in hopes the mechanical filter will remove it.

The hippo and panther are going to outgrow that 125, and are heavily contributing to your bioload.

The unfortunate thing about most aggressive systems is the higher requirement for maintenance.

Good Luck,
Ed

swegyptian
10/25/2005, 12:06 AM
I don't buffer my 125. I change about 25% of the water every two or three months. I have lots of LR, but our tap water also has a very ph where I live. I'm pretty sure that it's somewhere between 8 and 8.5.

jda
10/25/2005, 02:19 PM
A low PH is more likely a symptom of excess airborne CO2 than of anything that is in your tank. If you tank is in the basement or in a tight house, then this could be an issue. If it is, then air the house/basement out for a few days. It will help.

As long as your nighttime PH is above 7.8, then your tank is OK. I would not worry about it.

If you check PH, get a PH pen. Test kits are a PITA and sometimes inaccurate.

ralphie16
10/10/2006, 02:36 PM
I disagree with the above post. Elevated CO2 levels should not be a concern for you, regardless of whether your tank is in the basment or whether your house was built "tight". You have a heating and cooling system in your house that is circulating that air in your home between the rooms and also introducing fresh air.

Billybeau1
10/10/2006, 02:48 PM
Well Ralphie, since you resurected a year old post, I'll have to disagree with your statement.

Most homes have elevated CO2 and it is the #1 cause of low pH problems in our tanks.

You heating/cooling system just circulates inside air, it does not bring in fresh air from outside. (At least most dont).

ralphie16
10/10/2006, 03:03 PM
That is true that it is conditioning the air inside the home and not bringing in fresh air directly, but the leakage (air infiltration) in homes is great enough that elevated co2 levels should not be a concern. Now, that being said, I am only an engineer so I do know what levels of C02 concentration start lowering the Ph in your tanks enough to be substantial.

jda
10/10/2006, 03:09 PM
It is a concern. Especially in basements. There are plenty of posts and articles on this - do a search. Household CO2 is the #1 cause of low tank PH. Many, many people will attest that opening windows for a few days will raise their PH as much as .2 or more.

Billybeau1
10/10/2006, 03:12 PM
I'll give you an example I learned first hand. My tank is on the wall just opposite the kitchen We have a gas stove. When we are cooking at night (burners on) you can actually see the pH dropping on my pinpoint monitor. Sometimes as much as 2 units.

The best way to see if your home has elevated CO2 is to take a cup of your tank water outside and aerate it for a half hour or so with an airstone with outside air. If your pH rises substantially, you have excessive CO2.

Also simply opening windows can have a big affect. I've seen it with my own eyes.