PDA

View Full Version : Dolomite for a calcium reactor

trmiv
10/25/2005, 12:12 AM
I'm looking to get some dolomite to add to my calcium reactor to help maintain magnesium (not raise of course, I've been reading :D ). I can't find it locally anymore, but I've found a couple of sources online. Here's what I've found

This is dolomite used for gardens:

http://www.espoma.com/content.aspx?type=p&id=8&intCategoryID=2

(here's the link to buy it: http://homeharvest.com/soiltesting.htm )

Or this stuff for reefs:

http://www.finsreef.com/home.php?cat=255

Not sure which one to get. Obviously the garden one is much cheaper, at $3.49 for 5 pounds, vs $24.99 for a little over 2 pounds for the reef stuff.

Obviously I'd prefer the garden stuff, because it's so much cheaper. My question is, how can I know if it's safe for use?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/25/2005, 05:58 AM
From what I can read at those sites, I don't have a reason to prefer one over the other. :)

Cssio Gebara
10/25/2005, 08:31 AM
I am finishing my Calcium Reactor and my intention is to use dolomite as the unique media.
Does it work ?
My main target is the increment of the SPSs grow.
Now a days I have a good level of Ca but not so good level of RA.
Is this the right direction ?

Tks !

Cássio

trmiv
10/25/2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks Randy, looks like the cheap one it is!

C�ssio: From what I've read, you only want to use dolomite as around 5-10% of your total reactor media. Otherwise the dolomite will spike your alkalinity too much. Use some type of aragonite media as the main media.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/25/2005, 11:44 AM
I am finishing my Calcium Reactor and my intention is to use dolomite as the unique media.
Does it work ?
My main target is the increment of the SPSs grow.
Now a days I have a good level of Ca but not so good level of RA.
Is this the right direction ?

You mean the only thing in it is dolomite? No that is not a good idea. It will push up magnesium and alkalinity way too much, and not deliver enough calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/25/2005, 11:44 AM

Let us know how it works for you. :)

Happy Reefing.

Sparkss
10/25/2005, 01:13 PM
what percentage do you recommend using in the reactor ?

Boomer
10/25/2005, 03:22 PM
Just a handful or lets say 5- 10 % for starts. Allot will depend on the size of the reactor and if it is a single stage or dual stage reactor and the demand of the tank for Mg. Then there is the issue of its composition. Is it really dolomite or dolomitic limestone. The stuff you posted from the garden link is dolomitic limestone. The Mag Pro does not say anything about Ca-Mg values, so it could be dolomite or dolomitic limestone. Actual dolomite will have much more Mg, which means you need less.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/25/2005, 06:16 PM
Just a handful or lets say 5- 10 % for starts.

:thumbsup:

It also should not be used to raise magnesium, only to maintain already acceptable levels. I address that in this article:

Magnesium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

from it:

"It has been suggested that adding dolomite to CaCO3/CO2 reactors can help with magnesium problems. Dolomite is a material that contains both magnesium and calcium carbonate. If dolomite is being added to the reactor to maintain existing appropriate magnesium levels against the continual depletion via calcification (for example, if the calcium carbonate being used is too low in magnesium to maintain adequate magnesium) then this is a fine approach.

However, this method is unsuitable if the goal is to raise magnesium levels. The problem is that for every magnesium ion released from the dolomite, 2 units of alkalinity are also released:

MgCO3 ---> Mg++ + CO3--

Consequently, if one wants to raise magnesium by 100 ppm, the alkalinity will necessarily rise by 8.2 meq/L (23 dKH). The only way around this problem is to add a mineral acid (not vinegar) to the aquarium to reduce the alkalinity, and that may be more problematic than just adding magnesium in the first place."

BreadmanMike
10/25/2005, 07:01 PM
what if you crushed this up in to smaller more dissolvable pieces?

vitamins (http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?PID=29&AFID=14&SAFID=OVERTURE&SCID=2111&drg=108-1012985)

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/26/2005, 05:05 AM
I would be concerned that such tablets often contain other ingredients to make it easier to make them into tablets.

Cssio Gebara
10/26/2005, 08:19 AM
Ok fellows !

And if I use Calcite or Aragonite with Dolomite ?
Is it possible to keep good levels of Calcium, alkalinity and Magnesium ?
I would like to avoid Tunze media regarding the high cost here in Brazil.

Tks in advance !

Boomer
10/26/2005, 09:34 AM
Calcite ? As in what form, calcite limestone ?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/26/2005, 01:16 PM
Yes, using aragonite with a small amount of dolomite should work nicely. :)

Creetin
10/26/2005, 03:23 PM
Estees has a dolomite substrate. Thats what i use. Got a 10 lb bag for under 10 bux at lfs.
I only use a handfull in my dual rx

Justjoe
10/26/2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Creetin
Estees has a dolomite substrate. Thats what i use. Got a 10 lb bag for under 10 bux at lfs.
I only use a handfull in my dual rx

You may want to contact an Estes rep, I was told they have some sort of coating on their products but not sure if it would have any possible negative affects. When I mentioned how I wanted to use it, the guy at Estes that I spoke to recommended not using it.
Joe

Creetin
10/27/2005, 02:13 PM
Well i have been using it for 5 mos, and no ill effect. If the coating is questionable why put it on? I know of a couple of people using it and they have used for over a year. Dunno why they would put a coating on it.

Not saing youre wrong i am just pterbed that they would schelac a coating on a natural rock.

MPete
10/28/2005, 12:19 PM
Isn't Dolomite what they use in swimming pool filters? If so when I was keeping up the in-laws pool I had to purchase some and got a 20-25# bag from Scioto Valley, I beleive any pool supply carries it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/28/2005, 03:21 PM
The filters for pools often use (at least the last time I looked) diatomaceous earth, which is silica, not dolomite.

Sparkss
01/29/2006, 12:31 AM
Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) used any of the products listed at the top of this thread ? If so (to either question) what was the amount and method of introduciton used ? (IE: 5% of overall reactor media in the second chamber of a 2 chamber calc reactor, or whatever :)).

Thanks in advance :)

Justjoe
02/18/2006, 03:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=5971338#post5971338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trmiv

Any updates on using the dolomite http://www.espoma.com/content.aspx?...intCategoryID=2

Thanks,
Joe

trmiv
02/18/2006, 10:15 PM
I've never got around to purchasing it.