View Full Version : lighting quandry

speakeraddict
10/28/2005, 09:00 AM
The tank: 36*36*24 130 gallon DIY
The Lighting options:

400 watt XM 10000K with advance cap and coil ballast
250w blueline with icecap electronic ballast
250w blueline with advance cap and coil ballast

I love the coloration of the blueline but, man! do they have a low ppfd on sanjay's site. I like the growth with the 10000K xm's I have seen but not quite blue enough (20000K is way to blue for me though).

I already have all of this equipment and it is unused.

I am going with a DIY pendant.

Most of the guidelines I have read said that a 250 should be fine on my tank, but, I want clams in the future and wonder about it having enough umph.

It would also be nice to go with the lower operating cost of the blueline.

What do you think?

I also have the option of selling the new 10000K and going with a 15000K XM. I want to avoid supplemental actinic if possible.

Any thoughts?

speakeraddict

grimmjohn
10/28/2005, 02:28 PM
I don't really have an opinion about the 10Ks...but the XM 15Ks are notoriously low on PAR..though amazing barely lower than the blueline 10Ks..hmm.

Just curious,
Where's the techno mecca of the south? New Orleans? I used to be quite the raver/club kid/amature DJ...stopped all that..still love "techno" though () : )

Cheers,

grimmjohn

speakeraddict
10/28/2005, 02:38 PM
Huntsville, Alabama.

We have one of the largest research parks in the world. Right up there with the silicone valley and Tokyo.

Everything from munitions to NASA to NOAA.

I saw how low on par they are (I'm a poet!). But, Dr. Mac uses 20000K and they are low on par also. I may just stick with the 10000K and supplement to blue them up a bit.

speakeraddict

grimmjohn
10/28/2005, 03:00 PM
OH that kinda techno..haha silly me () : )

Yeah, I've seen lots of 250W 20K tanks with very happy clams in them..but as to recomending low PAR bulbs I don't think you're gonna find many people here will.

Though my 14K on a Icecap gets only 20 more PAR than the blueline on an Icecap ..but your tank is taller...but factor in reflectors and that 20 PAR difference can get a lot bigger..though my reflectors suck, and you could have pimp ones..It gets hairy fast..so it's just easier to say 250W Ushio or bust...

Anyway..I honestly think any of those bulbs with any of those ballasts would be fine for any clam () : )
Cheers,

grimmjohn

speakeraddict
10/28/2005, 03:23 PM
I am using a parabolic reflector. It really makes a difference in the amount of light that reaches the tank.

I guess I will setup the tank and before I move everything see which one I like the look of the best and go from there.

speakeraddict

speakeraddict
11/08/2005, 01:54 PM
Another question: I want to build a pendant to match the tank/stand. Has anyone built one of these?

I am sure that I will need spacers and a fan to keep from burning the wood or discoloring the paint. Any other hints?

speakeraddict

Unarce
11/08/2005, 02:41 PM
In the same boat regarding lighting.

The next set-up is a 36X36X16. I've gone with 400W PFO HQI ballast/Lumenarc III, but haven't made up my mind about the bulb. This will be a standalone bulb, so I'd also like to get a blue tint without sacrificing PAR too much.

If I were to buy a bulb today, it would probably be the Coralvue Reeflux 10K. I've been reluctant to buy anything Coralvue in the past, but their Reeflux bulbs have been getting great reviews on RC. I was hoping to find PAR results on their 12K, but was told by Mr. Joshi that he won't be testing them anytime soon.