PDA

View Full Version : ice cap 660 and aquacontroller?

robthorn
10/31/2005, 03:55 PM
I was curious if it is all ice cap ballasts or just halides? I am going to run 2 660's and not sure which controller yet I am in the research stage but soon to buy in the next month maybe. I don't want trouble. does a noise filter do a good job of controlling problems or do I have to use a dc4 or 8. search doesn't work on reefcentral for me so I had to start a new thread in order to find an answer this year there is way too much info to try and sort through here.
thanks a million,
robert

clp
10/31/2005, 04:52 PM
Most 660 ballasts do not cause any problems with X10 communication. Sometimes the Icecap MH ballasts do cause interference problems with X10. Customers have reported that noise filters do solve the X10 interference issues with Icecap MH ballasts.
We recommend that new installations use Direct Connect boxes to control their equipment, as they use a hardwired interface and do not have interference issues. If look at the cost per outlet, the DC boxes are about the same as the X10 equipment, so there is really no reason to use X10 anymore.

Curt

robthorn
10/31/2005, 04:59 PM
thank you very much.
I see on the neptune site they sell direct but I am confused with the dc8 since it is 90 something with the jr but I think over $150 with the controller 2. how can this be justified? seems abit wierd but I have to ask.
robert

clp
10/31/2005, 06:21 PM
The controllers are priced to be competitive. The pricing is good with the AC2/DC8 system, and incredibly low for an ACJR/DC8 system.

robthorn
11/01/2005, 08:16 AM
yeah I am more into the incredibly low prices of course but would like to monitor my orp and therefore not sure what to do since I don't trust the other 2 hobby level monitors. if I could get the price break with the ac 2/dc8 I would order it today and so would my buddy. guess I will wait to see if there is ever a price drop thanks again,
robert

mozdaman
11/01/2005, 04:29 PM
Hey,

I too was going to get a ACJR but like some of the features of the ACII. I then got out my calculator and said to myself...."Wow if I could only get the same deal on the DC8 I would buy the ACII". Why the difference in price between to (2) bundles? Is it just a marketing thing. I mean we are talking about the same product (DC8). The only thing holding me up from buying the ACII is the price of the DC8. Maybe somebody from the sales staff can explain to us something other than what is posted above.

Sparkss
11/09/2005, 01:59 AM
from what I read a while back the speculation was that it had to do with Neptune trying to compete with a specific other controller brand/unit. To do that it had to price the JR combo a thte price point that it did. The ACII and up were already in a separate "category" and therefore did not require any marketting or price adjustments to "compete"

robthorn
11/09/2005, 01:06 PM
they are not in there own category. aquadyne has a good product and has been around for years and are priced along with neptunes other systems. I decided not to go with a company that thinks this way. charge 2 different people 2 different prices for the same product. thats just not something I stand for so my $20 won't count in there big company but hey I will sleep better. they tried to say they aren't comparable to aquadyne because they have more bells and whistles which they may but the other company does everything I need plus more.
good luck :)
robert