PDA

View Full Version : Hum from new 6100 driving my wife nuts

chi
11/04/2005, 08:50 PM
I've recently setup a new 120g and decided to trade up my seio's to a 6100 with the single controller (6110 package). The tank has been running now for a couple weeks and from the get go the tunze stream has been the loudest component in the tank. Regardless of whether it's on the high/low cycle there is a loud hum from the pump. I had hope that this would go away as the pump broke in, but the noise has not changed. It is so loud that my wife and I can hear it upstairs in our bedroom.

Is this humming normal? I big reason why I bought this pump was because it was suppose to be really quiet. It is way louder than the seio. My wife is threatening to shut it down if I don't do something about it. So please help.

Chi

rvitko
11/05/2005, 09:10 AM
PM me an adddress and I will send you a new drive unit, some hum is normal but you shouldn't hear it much more than a foot away.

dcoufal
11/05/2005, 09:36 AM
Are you using the magnet mounts? I had the same annoying hum with the magnets and went back to the hang-on mounting clips to solve the problem....

Dwain

rvitko
11/05/2005, 10:28 AM
The magnet mounts should actually reduce the hum when used with the included rubber feet.

chi
11/06/2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks Roger, it's nice to see such great customer service when you're buying quality parts.

Dwain, the stream is not mounted with the magnets. I wish I could but PA have been sold out of them.

E-A-G-L-E-S
11/06/2005, 08:55 AM
don't you have an LFS near you?
they should have mag. floats.

Man....you would hate my tank(2 external pumps about 4 feet behind headboard!(i like the hum....can't sleep in total silence-so it works for me!)

chi
11/06/2005, 07:28 PM
Do you have a picture of how to integrate the mag floats into something similar to the tunze magnet system? The tunze magnets aren't cheap, I'm assuming that's for a good reason because the pumps are pretty powerful. I don't want to ruin what I've read as a great system by combining with some mediocre DIY stuff.

Chi

d4a2n0k
11/06/2005, 07:59 PM
I think Reef Exotics might have the magnets in stock. www.acropora.net