PDA

View Full Version : Do Mantis Shrimp eat other Shrimps?

diordivasarah
11/12/2005, 07:59 PM
I was wondering if a Mantis Shrimp could be kept with other species of shrimps (such as Sexy Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Bumblebee Shrimp) without them being devoured?

Crawling68
11/12/2005, 08:18 PM
Highly Unlikely, but you can try.

3Tripnip
11/12/2005, 11:52 PM
I asked this same question over on GrimReefers. Consensus was that they'll eat any other shrimp they can catch. :( Bummer, eh?

-Ben

hammerhead
11/13/2005, 12:09 AM
They will eat anything they can catch fish snails crabs shrimp

Uriel
11/13/2005, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by hammerhead
They will eat anything they can catch fish snails crabs shrimp

That isn't entirely true. Mantis Shrimp aren't indiscriminat killers.
One of mine doesn't touch snails (my larger Peacock: O. scyllarus), another doesn't eat hermits, a third eats one type of snail, whilst ignoring another type. Several other folks on here have mantis shrimp that live with various other animals (fish ) with no problems.

However...shrimp are in the dietary range of both spearers and smashers (Bummer for them...). Putting a shrimp in with a mantis is pretty much going to end with the mantis asking you to pass the lemon and tartar sauce.

:D

-Ron

Hutton
11/13/2005, 11:02 AM
i would nt try it. i bought some of those hawian shrimp for 25 cents a piece to see what would happen. they suffered horible deaths! he hit them onces, they would try to walk it of but then thier legs didnt work then he would grab them. only one remains and he is to fast for the mantis.

hoot214
11/14/2005, 12:44 AM
even fingers sometimes lol. dont ask me how i know

hammerhead
11/14/2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Uriel
That isn't entirely true. Mantis Shrimp aren't indiscriminat killers.
One of mine doesn't touch snails (my larger Peacock: O. scyllarus), another doesn't eat hermits, a third eats one type of snail, whilst ignoring another type. Several other folks on here have mantis shrimp that live with various other animals (fish ) with no problems.

However...shrimp are in the dietary range of both spearers and smashers (Bummer for them...). Putting a shrimp in with a mantis is pretty much going to end with the mantis asking you to pass the lemon and tartar sauce.

:D

-Ron
I have seen Mantis Shrimp eat anything that was put in the tank So IME/IMO they will kill and eat anything they can catch.

Gandy
11/15/2005, 10:58 AM
I believe any shrimp would surely be dinner. However, depending on the type of mantis and method of introduction, many carefully selected tankmates can be kept together with mantid's. But as Uriel has stated, they certaintly have "personalities" or more appropriately, "preferences" on live foods. My friends peacock will eat margirita snails but not illyanous snails, or turbo snails even though they all live in the same tank. the same peacock will also not mess with clowns or damsels or starfish, but will kill urchins and crayfish.
My oerstedii's doesn't care at ALL about his saddle back clown tankmate, or the illyenous snails, hermits (large and small), or pencil urchin. But he prefers frozen or dead foods only from my feedsing stick... The onlything i have tried is ghost shrimp, but my clown will kill the ghost shrimp for fun, then leave them there, so the mantis is not even interested in the dead corpse...

goldberg
11/15/2005, 11:04 AM
i put a bigger coral band shrimp in thinking it would be able to defend itself. ten minutes later, i see the mantis dragging it in his hole. that was one expensive dinner for me to give him.

Thurge
11/16/2005, 02:41 AM
Don't add shrimp unless you plan on loosing them.
I added 4 peppermint shrimp to wage a short war with Aptasia and be food. Turns out my N. wenn doesn't like peppermint shrimp, so it can be done. That being said I wouldn't willingly try more expencive shrimp.

goldberg
11/16/2005, 07:03 AM
so did the peppermint shrimp work? i am starting to develop aptasia too but i'm afraid to add the peppermint because of my mantis.

TheVillageIdiot
11/16/2005, 11:00 AM
per the adventures of tim...

DM put three lysmata w. in the tank w/ his mantis, they lived for a while and cleaned out the apistasia in a section of the tank, then tim ate them... all of them...

:)

goldberg
11/16/2005, 11:02 AM
thanks hasselhoff. tell kit i said hi.

has anyone ever noticed that hasselhoff looks like dan marino.

TheVillageIdiot
11/16/2005, 11:04 AM
lol...

only, more german...