PDA

View Full Version : Think of it as a really long Nano

ReefStu
11/16/2005, 12:52 AM
I am considering ordering a custom a 12"D x 96"W x18"T with an overflow and return at each end. I am going to pull my couch off the wall 1 foot and place the tank behind it. I only have one foot to work with and think that it might be a fun tank and location in my house. I love my 12G Nano and all the small specimins I have in there and the new tank would be set up similarly with a bunch of small stuff. Any suggestions or concerns with a tank this size.

theatrus
11/16/2005, 01:08 AM
Thats like a 90gallon in the form of a 55 gallon :)

Some larger fish won't work, since they won't be able to turn around very well (and it gets boring swimming back and forth :)). Laying out LR may be hard with little depth, but its possible (aquascaping my 55gal was annoying at least). Lighting will have to be figured out too - maybe a bunch of 96w PC lights? They're nice and long.

I'd say it could be an awesome tank though!

The Lance
11/16/2005, 01:16 AM
That would be a cool tank. I have thought about having a long short in-the-wall tank. I was looking at like 96" long by 24" wide by 12" high. Just a different shape than is normally seen. I say go for it.

skeety
11/16/2005, 05:36 AM
tend to agree with theatrus.

Aquascaping will be difficult, but if you get the right sized pieces, and be really careful when it comes to livestock choices, this idea will work. AND be pretty cool!

As stated, bigger, more active fish might not like it as much due to turning room. SO I'd stay with things like Gobies/blennies. Maybe a pygmie angel or something like that.

Sounds really cool though. Make sure to keep us posted! (PICS!!)
hahah

good luck!

00nothing
11/16/2005, 11:00 AM
i was planning on building something very similar little shorter though i was only planning on 55 inches as i have a sofa table it would have fit on perfectly

if u ever get it done make sure u post pics and lots of them

PITSTOP
11/16/2005, 11:06 AM
Do it! Do it now!

Airman
11/16/2005, 11:13 AM
Have fun cleaning the tank. I just want to see a pic when you are finished.

scarletknight06
11/16/2005, 11:56 AM
sounds cool. i would suggest going maybe just 12" deep. that way aquascaping would be easier as you wouldnt have to pile rocks so high so that the tank doesnt look empty. kinda of like a super wide screen 10g or 15g.
then you could light it with 70w or 150w MH's or maybe T5's and probably keep anything you wanted.

I think you should get a large school of chromis or a large school of anthias (the ones that stay smaller like dispar and lyretail ones)

crazyfingersmike
11/16/2005, 12:28 PM
You definitely want some swimming and/or schooling fish for a tank like that. Great idea, go for it!

ReefStu
11/16/2005, 02:07 PM
I will definently think about reducing the hieght to 12" although I want the added volume of the 18' tall. For lighting I have (2) 96w compacts and four 4' VHO's. I was going to do half the tank with compacts and half with VHO or should I split the two systems up and have 1 compact and 2 VHO on each side? and if so what bulbs would you run with the combo setup?
For fish I was thinking of the following:
2 clowns of coarse
A school of chromis
1 small yellow eye tang
1 small six line wrasse
2 or 3 tiny gobbies
For LR I will definently be very carefull with hieght. I have a Nano now (check my gallery) and am familiar with the tight spaces.
Thanks for all the input and I will be posting pic's as I go.

Paul Davies
11/16/2005, 02:22 PM
do it , do it, do it, wanna see pics !!!!

tld
11/16/2005, 03:04 PM
Are you going to put any corals in this tank? If not, I'd just go with the pair of PCs (less electricity, less heat).

If you are planning on corals, you need to think about water flow - that's a large footprint and I'm sure you don't want 15 million powerheads everywhere.

What's your sump configuration going to be like? Is the couch heavy? Will you have to move it for maintenance? Will the canopy be enclosed? If so, you might want to consider fairy wrasses.

It's an interesting idea - keep us updated!

tmantaylor18
11/16/2005, 03:08 PM
Man this tank is going to be awesome if you do it. Its what I want to do once i get out of college.

gearow
11/16/2005, 05:17 PM
do it! i want so badly to switch to a 30 long instead of my 29. but its in my room and i dont have any extra space.

ReefStu
11/16/2005, 08:56 PM
I am deffinently going to have allot of corals. Please look at my Nano in my gallerie to see the type of stuff I like. I see the tank having similar coral in it just a really long version of the Nano: Tons of shrooms, Rics, & zoo, frog spawn & hammer, zenia, small leathers, clams, and maybe a few SPS. I like coral that sways in the breeze.

As far as flow goes, each overflow has 1 1/2" drain hole and 3/4" return holes. I also plan a closed system that draws from the bottom of the overflows and is distibuted from the top at key locations with multi port manifolds. (what pumps would people suggest I was using the largest Rio on my old tank 5 years back and don't think I will go that route again.

The couch is large and it will be a pain to get full access to the sump, but I will have and end door to access the skimmer and dosing on a regular basis. The sump is and old 30G tall acrylic (10"dx36"wx16"t) that will be split into 2 bays: 1 for ditritus bag and 1 for refugium. I have a hang on Remora that will draw from below the detritus bag and dump into the refugium, that is all the flow the refugium will get. The refugium will then spill back over to the pumps. I will have a spot for carbon down there also.

I am going to build a bookshelf wall to the ceiling that will have an enclosed canopy. Above the canopy area will be shelves for books and my wifes knick-knacks. I will vent the canopy area with some fan configuration. Do you think heat will be an issue? My 75G that has the VHO's stays around 82 degrees in the day.
I really appreciate the help, It's been 5 years since I had a big tank and allots changed since then.
I will post a scan of the sketches I have done for the tank soon.

tld
11/17/2005, 09:21 AM
Sounds like a cool plan. I think your biggest issue is going to be that couch - you're not going to be able to quickly check out everything going on underneath. You may be able to compensate for that somewhat by automating things and using monitors, maybe with the readout displays on your knickknack shelf. You might consider putting that detritus bag where it is easily accessed along with the skimmer. Also, you may want to splash guard everything so that you don't ruin the couch.

As far as flow is concerned, if you are custom ordering it anyway, you might consider having your closed loop drilled into the bottom. I normally don't like so many holes drilled in the bottom, but since you have limited room, I think it would work better in this case. I think you be able to get decent flow from your returns if you use a strong enough pump (maybe with a pair of penductors). Have the returns on opposite ends of the tank, but have the 1st closer to the front edge and the 2nd closer to the back edge so that you create a gyre.

With so little room front to back, I think it would be tempting to place all the rock on the back wall, but I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't use much rock at all - maybe create a couple of taller bommies on each end and leave the middle open to show off some colorful LPS corals - maybe something like a big Scolymia. If you leave your rockwork open enough, you may not need a closed loop. I think you'll need to consider how the corals will grow up and change your flow pattern - you may not need closed loop in the beginning, but might need it 3-4 years down the road and it would be great if it were already plumbed - you'd just need to buy a pump and maybe an oceans motion (or some new device not invented yet) and you'd be good to go.

VHOs can get pretty warm if there's not enough ventilation. With an enclosed canopy, I think you'll need some sort of exhaust fan. You have 3 options on venting - 1) the ends - this could be unattractive and may not provide enough since your tank is so long, 2) the back - allows more fans, but vents out to the wall and could leave ugly salty dust on the wall, 3) the top - a more natural point for ventilation since heat rises, but it would interfere with your knickknack shelf, although you may be able to disguise the vents somehow. Just be aware that you will be exhausting salty air - whatever is nearby may suffer from that.

I'm looking forward to your sketches - this is a fun project!

ReefStu
11/18/2005, 10:54 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-tanksketch.jpg

This is the sketch for the tank, I have 3 LFS that have priced it right around $500 and I am going to order it soon, see any flaws?

ReefStu
11/18/2005, 10:55 PM
O.K. I can post a link in the IMG box but how do I get the pic to show on the thread instead of having it linked? Thanks for the help.

xtrstangx
11/18/2005, 11:03 PM
It will be cool, but you'll eventually hate the 12" Depth. I hate my 40g so much cause I can't aquascape very well and I don't have much room for coral due to my rock situation.

Konadog
11/18/2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ReefStu
O.K. I can post a link in the IMG box but how do I get the pic to show on the thread instead of having it linked? Thanks for the help. http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-tanksketch.jpg

melev
11/18/2005, 11:56 PM
I would make it with a long closed loop, creating flow going from left to right or right to left. And two 8' VHO bulbs would work out great.

So... is it done yet?! :D

Bebo77
11/19/2005, 12:41 AM
randy at socalcreations built something similar a few months back... try and go as deep as you can...

ReefStu
11/19/2005, 01:08 AM
Konadog,
How did you do that?? I need to know how to get the pic's up so I don't feel so stupid.

xtrstangx,
My nano is only 12"d and I think it looks OK. Anyway with 8' I will be focusing on going horizontal with my aquascaping instead of vertical. I plan on having LR on each end ( 2.5' on L side and 3.5' on R) tapering down to a blank area (2' wide) between them.

Let's talk lighting, I know what I got but not how to use them best.
From my old tank I have (2) 96w compacts and from the 75G I bought used I have (4) FR48T12 VHO's. I was thinking of splitting the two systems and on each side running (2) VHO, 1 Actinic White and 1 Super Actinic Blue and (1) White compact. Any thoughts?

Konadog
11/19/2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ReefStu
Konadog,
How did you do that?? I need to know how to get the pic's up so I don't feel so stupid.
This should help: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4922665#post4922665 and just use your RC Gallery.

ReefStu
11/19/2005, 01:59 AM
OK I read thru the how to threads, here goes. This is my Nano.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-tank_002.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-tank_011.jpg

Feeling pretty smart now, maybe I am not as dumb as I look. :D

laverda
11/19/2005, 03:03 AM
I have a 96 X24X24 and love it. I would definitely stick to 18" deep and try to go 18" wide also. At 12" wide you are going to have a hard time with aquascaping unless you stack everything against the back wall. I have basically 4 islands down the center of my tank with valleys in between. You are welcome to come see my tank any time. It is in the SCMAS tour tomorrow.

bugsy714
11/19/2005, 09:23 AM
Roland (oldyellertang) has a 10" wide tank I believe, you should pm him and ask how he likes it.

I have an 18" wide 80 gallon and the width is really restrictive. I also have a 24" wide prop that I love and a 30" wide display I love.

In my opinion anything under 24" wide is a nightmare to aquascape and sucks when your tank has a sheer rock wall with lots of wasted light from the rock wall/corals shading the lower corals.

I have a 15" tall display and it's killer. You can reach in and not be armpit deep in the tank. I'd go at least 15" tall and 18" is pretty nice as well (my nano is 18"), if you'll be moving stuff on the sandbed a lot you'll want the 15", it's the perfect depth

melev
11/19/2005, 04:08 PM
You could go taller, but 12" isn't really as bad as the posts indicate. My 29g was 12" wide and I enjoyed it for 7 years. My 55g was 12" wide and it too was great. If you love looking at stuff up close, that depth is ideal. It's great for photography as well. http://www.melevsreef.com/g/fotog.gif

ReefStu
11/27/2005, 10:13 PM
I am going to order the tank this week.
I need suggestions with the lighting.
What would you suggest I do with the following lighting.
From my old tank I have (2) 96w compacts and from the 75G I bought used I have (4) FR48T12 VHO's. I was thinking of splitting the two systems and on each side running (2) VHO, 1 Actinic White and 1 Super Actinic Blue and (1) White compact. Or 4 VHO on one side for SPS and 2 compacts on other side for everything else?

melev
11/27/2005, 10:51 PM
The tank is small enough that it doesn't matter. You don't have any real depth to deal with. I'd still suggest you just put two 8' VHOs over the tank, assuming those exist.

garvondavis14
11/27/2005, 11:47 PM
i agree with marc, think the vhos would be good with such a small tank, as well as being flexible for a mixed reef

garvondavis14
11/27/2005, 11:48 PM
i really think this tank could be sweet as H#%^ though...i think a school of chromis would look awesome with that much room to swim side to side

garvondavis14
11/27/2005, 11:49 PM
i'm finally getting some fish in my tank, and sometimes i wish my tank was about five inches deep so they couldn't get back where i can't seem 'em. lol

ReefStu
12/02/2005, 01:17 AM
I ordered the tank today, all 8' of it, 12" deep and 16" high. I also found these while I was shopping the other day for christmas lights. they should mod easily and cover the whole tank with moonlight.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-lights1.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-moonlight2.jpg

Stevenx2
12/02/2005, 03:25 AM
Behind the couch, along the wall like this?:

http://www.riffaquaristikforum.de/forum/jgs_galerie_bild.php?bildid=50&type=jpg&sid=

shane 1111
12/02/2005, 05:27 AM
clams need a lot of light. i see you have one in your nano

kokxy
12/02/2005, 09:13 AM
Stevenx2,
I think that is what ReefStu wants to a T. Looks good.

ReefStu
12/03/2005, 02:10 AM
Stevenx2, Yes it will be very similar to that tank although my couch is U-shaped and 12' long so the 8' tank will be in the middle of a 12'wide floor to ceiling custom book case. The sump will be behind the couch in the bottom of the case. I layed it out today and will start construction of the book case tomorrow. I will post pic's tomorrow night.

Shane111, I have had the clam in there for 3 months and it has grown a bit, is always completely open and has quick reflexes. I will probably move it into the new tank and under the VHO's after it is all set up. Do you think it would have long term problems in the Nano, it looks good so far.

Kokxy, good to have you following along this thread, I might need some local help moving the tank in. I look forward to seeing your new tank and trading frags.

Alatar
12/03/2005, 08:28 AM
ReefStu,
I really like your idea and I´m looking forward to watching everything come together.

I have one sugesstion:

Have you considerted T5 lightnig?

Two 54W T5s would cover the tank nicely and you could add another 54W T5 for a SPS side.

cya

Alatar

ReefStu
12/03/2005, 01:40 PM
I dont want to buy new lighting as I am already spending more than my wife gave me for allowance ;) What do you think will be the problem with the VHO & compact combo?

ReefStu
12/04/2005, 11:47 PM
I asked the LFS to rush my tank order if possible and they may have it this coming Thursday so I spent all weekend working on the stand. Here are the steps I got pics of:

Tank shape taped on the wall for my wife to see.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-const1.jpg

I put up vinyl to protect the paint from moisture and built the sump base.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-const2.jpg

I even cut out for the surround sound behind the couch.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-const3.jpg

So far so good the tank space is nice and wide.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-const4.jpg

Boy is this going to be a good Christmas :D

stevebydac
12/04/2005, 11:59 PM
This is a great idea! Will look awesome! I've always thought this type of tank would look great as the backwall underneath kitchen cabinets. As long as you kept the heat from the stove and dishwasher away from it it would be fantastic-looking. You could access it from a room behind the kitchen. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

Ronald
12/05/2005, 12:44 PM
Very cool, and that stand is going up fast. I am looking forward to more images as things come together.

Ron

gfk
12/05/2005, 12:55 PM
wow i didnt expect to check back in this thread and actually see you doing this... cant wait to see updates

h2joe
12/05/2005, 09:11 PM
sweet idea. keep the pics coming as im interested in doing something like this in my bathroom in the wall.

Snakebyt
12/05/2005, 09:31 PM
ill defenatly be watching for progress on this.. looks interesting

ReefStu
12/06/2005, 01:05 AM
Great to have you all on board, I will definently keep up the pics if you'll keep up the comments. Today is 5/25 and I got one more level of the shelfs up, tomorrow I hope to finish the framing to the ceiling and begin skinning it. If you notice between the last pic and this pic I took off the level I finished this weekend and rebuilt it 6" shorter (look at the distance from the blue tape to the framing above). I did a redesign in my head at lunch and came home to revise the existing stuff and do some more. I will have 6 1/2" between the rim of the tank and the light canopy above. I figure that will be enough with the small LR I will be doing since it is only 12" Deep and 18" tall. Thanks for the input. If you like this thread please pass the word around as it probably doesn't get much traffic where it's at. The more the merrier. (sp?)

I decided to to a double decker with two tanks, no not really. Family photos and knick knacks will be on the shelf above the tank.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-const5.jpg

Side view
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-const7.jpg

melev
12/06/2005, 01:17 AM
This is the perfect forum for people to see it. RD is one of the busiest forums on RC.

ReefStu
12/06/2005, 01:36 AM
Here is a little more info I sketched on a photo. I never expected to be designing fish tank stand when I was in Architecture school.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-tanknotes.jpg

ReefStu
12/06/2005, 11:27 PM
I finished the shelfs to the ceiling tonight and placed the room lighting, I will post a pic later.

ReefStu
12/07/2005, 02:03 AM
Todays progress.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-const8.jpg

MBuck
12/07/2005, 09:08 AM
Awesome!!! Am hopefully buying a new home, and would like to do something like this with my FW on one side of the fireplace, built it, and my SW on the other side, built in...Thought it would look cool! A little worried about heat, cuz I plan on using the fireplace... GREAT JOB!

ReefStu
12/09/2005, 02:18 AM
I picked up the tank today. I ordered it last Thusday and got it today (Thursday). One week for a custom tank!!!! I asked the guys at Coral Oasis in Irvine to try to get the manufacturer to rush the three week turn around and boy did they. If you are in So Cal and havn't been by thier shop they are worth the drive. Very helpfull good prices, selection and two beautiful display tanks.
Iwill post some pics of it tomorrow, now all I need is to catch the bookshelf up and begin the install.

shinosuke
12/09/2005, 07:47 AM
Sweet! I cant wait to see the setup with the tank on it!
~Adam D.

Morgman
12/13/2005, 02:05 AM
Looking good!! What are you going to skin that cabinet with?

Are you going to make the doors or buy them?? Are you going to through crown moldings on that bad boy?

Stu are you building that thing in your house or dragging it outside? Your wife has alot of patience. Nice work.

ReefStu
12/14/2005, 01:32 AM
Morgborg,
I am going to skin it with 1X poplar and stain it with an opaque water based walnut color to match the entertainment center I built when I moved in and the hardwood floors. It will look like this:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-tv2.jpg

I am building it inside the house and yes my wife is being patient. The agreement is that I have the tank finished and the current 75G shut down by this weekend so we can move the christmas tree where the 75G is now sitting. I may have to set up the tank in the framed opening and skin it afterward.

stevebydac
12/14/2005, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6281789#post6281789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefStu
I am building it inside the house and yes my wife is being patient. The agreement is that I have the tank finished and the current 75G shut down by this weekend so we can move the christmas tree where the 75G is now sitting. I may have to set up the tank in the framed opening and skin it afterward.

:D I'm not married, and I get a chuckle out of reading all of the husband posts on the forum (not just yours, I'm not picking on you).

Is this the proper translation?
"My wife is being patient. The agreement is..." = "MY WIFE HAS THREATENED TO KILL ME IF I DON'T HAVE THAT &!!#!&! TANK MOVED OUT OF THE WAY BY SATURDAY!!!! " :fun2:

Every day I read on Reef Central how a guy isn't quite telling his wife how much it costs, or when it's going to be done. :worried: Cracks me up!

Ahhhhhh, love :love1:

Fascinated by the tank concept!! Can't wait to see more! (Hope you are alive Sunday :D )

ReefStu
12/15/2005, 01:13 AM
stevebydac,
My wife cracked up when she read your comments. Very funny and very very true. I do hope to be done and living on Sunday.

I picked up an old 30G a friend of mine was housing and some acrylic he had laying around. I will be building the refugium soon.

This was the wrong time of year to try to make time for a new tank, the holidays are already too busy.

ReefStu
12/18/2005, 02:18 AM
Well I tried to get it all set up today but ran into a few problems that will take some time to fix:
1. I have a leak at the right drain bulk head that i cant seem to stop.
2. I knew when the power shut off I was going to have allot of water draining down into the sump so I plumbed an emegency well next to the sump. well the well caught the water but when the power turns back on the water in the well does not go back into the sump so the pump runs dry after the tank is refilled. I will have to expand the sump by placing another tank next to the sump and plumb them together down low this will make a great frag tank I think.

New tank in spot
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-newtank.jpg

Testing Water http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-newtank2.jpg

Sump tank http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-sump1.jpg

Fabrication
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-sump2.jpg

Sump leak test http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-sump3.jpg

Enough for tonight, I need some rest before I work on the tank all day tomorrow.

shinosuke
12/19/2005, 02:17 PM
wow, coming along smoothely, if those are the only problems you have!
Keep up the good work!
~Adam D.

Dubbin1
12/19/2005, 02:33 PM
Drill a siphon hole in the pipe that is causing water to overflow your sump. Once you do that then you will not have to have that silly "emegency well" :)

kbmdale
12/19/2005, 02:39 PM
I'd light that bad boy with 3 4ft vho on each end. One 10k coralife, 1 URI white actinic, and 1 URI Super actinic for each 4ft half.... VHO will be more than enough light for anything you will want to keep and heat will not be an issue for people sitting on the couch.

Crusty Old Shellback
12/19/2005, 02:41 PM
Just cought your thread. Glad to see you went thru with it.

I had a similar tank setup as FW for years. I had a half wall that seperated my living room from a hallway. it was 10' long and 8" wide. I found a home built tank that fit perfectly, 8' long and 6" wide.

The tank was set up so that you could see thru it. Looked awsome. I always though it would have made a nice reef. Keep up the good work.

ReefStu
12/21/2005, 02:50 AM
Todays progress,

I finished plumbing it today and ran it for 4-5 hours with hose water. No leaks and fairly loud so I monified the overflow pipes and got them real quiet but down at the sump it is still quite loud. Any suggestions? I also drilled and plumbed the sump expansion/frag tank and it works great. It holds about 8" deep water when the pumps are running and when the power is off it raises to around 12".

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-sump4.jpg

I used an 8 foot long 1x10 for the board to mount my lighting to and covered it with aluminum fireplace flue that I bent to fit my needs. Then I attached the moonlight DIY to one side and 10,000K 96W PC's to the other. Tomorrow when I shut down my 75G and move all the inhabitants to the new tank I will split the 4 VHO (2 actinic and 2 100,000K) into 2 sets and place them between the PC's and Moon light.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-light1.jpg

Thanks for the support, Please keep posting as it motivates me to keep updating, and please give any suggestion or constructive critisism as I know that you all have great ideas.

ReefStu
12/21/2005, 02:55 AM
Also, I use a coupler that you can see betwwen the two sumps that has rubber compression gaskets that squeeze down on the PVC for a tight fit. No leaks but I am now worried that the rubber may deteriorate after some time. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

melev
12/21/2005, 03:26 AM
Are you talking about Uniseals? I've never heard about them leaking nor failing, but of course that is possible. I think they are made of vulcanized rubber, which should be pretty durable stuff and last a long time.

Northtampatang
12/21/2005, 08:56 AM
If your worrieed about it, use a "True" Union (threaded union) fitting.

six66
12/21/2005, 09:27 PM
taggin' along :D

cant wait to see u rockscape it :D

ReefStu
12/23/2005, 01:49 AM
I worked from 6:30pm to 2:30am lastnight to move the lights and livestock from the old 75 to the new tank. Tonight I worked on the sump, timers and rinsed the last of the sand and loaded it in. I scooped the top 1-2" of sand from the old tank and tried to gently drop it in the new tank and then I took the remaining sand out and rinsed it totally clean, soaked it in R.O. and placed it in the tank. I will post pics tomorrow.

Snakebyt
12/23/2005, 03:27 AM
looks great.. cant wait to see more...

Stile2
12/23/2005, 08:57 AM
Super cool, fast progress too!

Congrats!

Keith

ReefStu
12/24/2005, 02:17 AM
Allright here it is. I need to trade the toad stool in the middle of the tank and I will have an empty spot between the two sides. I am also going to trade some of the frogspawna and zenia to make room for other things. the zenia is a farm. I am trading about 5 pieces a week to the LFS for credit and that just paid for my new sump pump.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-fulltank.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-fulltank2.jpg

Tomorrow I will skin the case and start staining it. I will try to post pics.
Thanks for the support.

gfk
12/24/2005, 03:41 AM
looks awesome, post more pics for sure

ThunderousTalon
12/24/2005, 12:46 PM
looks great!!! more pics definitely... Closer pics, thats what this tanks all about, being up CLOSE! ;-) Keep up the great work!

guitar_lord
12/24/2005, 12:53 PM
That's impressive man!
taggin along..
keep up the great work (and the pics too :) )

Stasher
12/24/2005, 12:54 PM
Very nice and unique idea, I like it. Excited to see it when it is all skinned in.

ReefStu
12/26/2005, 03:27 AM
Allright I have a confession to make, I am a butcher. I was considering trading in my 12" diameter toadstool for something else but then i had an idea: why not hack it up into tiny pieces ang frag it. So I cut the top off and sliced up the pie. I now have 8 pieces rubberbanded to rocks in my frag sump. I will also be moving my Zenia frags from the 12G nano frag tank and the frag sump will be full. If you have the room and extra lights think about a small frag tank plummed in with your sump. Its a great way to subsidise the hobby, I like that people are enjoying my frags, and it puts less pressure on the ocean. I also skinned most of it yesterday and today. I need to make the doors and stain it now.
Here are a few pics:

Right side
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-tankright.jpg

Left Side
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-tankleft.jpg

I will take pics of the progress tomorrow.

Snakebyt
12/26/2005, 05:00 AM
looks great

guitar_lord
12/27/2005, 11:19 AM
What process did you use when fragging?
Do you just hack away and hope that they dont die?
Im interested to know!

Thanks
:D

Rock Anemone
12/27/2005, 01:10 PM
Looks awesome! I love the rock structure. Can't wait to see more pics.

Rock Anemone:D

ReefStu
12/27/2005, 07:51 PM
A sharp butcher knife, what else? I cut the top off and then cut it into a oie shape. Just that easy. I use scissors for the zenia and fragging mushrooms. No spacial tools needed, just go for it. There are some great fragging threads out there if your looking to get into it.

Ronald
12/30/2005, 09:43 AM
Very nice tank and stand! I am still working on my stand, hard to find the time. For some reason I decided to learn hand woodworking and have been cutting dove tails etc. to put it together without screws or nails. I just need a good 16-17 hours and it will be finished!!

Congratulations on your fine work and keep up the fraging and pictures!

Ron

ReefStu
12/30/2005, 11:38 AM
Ron,
Sounds like you have given yourself quite a challenge. Hand woodworking is difficult, I have only tried a small box. Good luck with that, it will be much more rewarding than if you used powertools.

Ronald
12/30/2005, 12:03 PM
Considering the number of cuts on my hands it's a lot safer too!!:lol:

Ron

ReefStu
01/02/2006, 02:08 AM
These are some of my favorite pieces in the tank. They came with the 75G when I bought that tank (thanks kokxy). I bought the old tank for the livestock mainly. The clam/zoo piece and the zenia were really looking great and so far they are doing well after the move. The zenia is getting huge and I am going to have to frag allot of it out just to keep it from taking over.
Clam/Zoo rock
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-zooclam.jpg
Zenia farm
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/104538mini-zenia.jpg
Notice the size of the zenia compared to the rock below and to the right with the zoo. The small zoo rock is the size of a golf ball. The pic was taken about 2 days after setup, now a week later the zenia is even bigger. I will post pics of the fragging of the zenia and the toadstool soon. Any special requests for pic's of info?

kokxy
01/02/2006, 12:24 PM
Stuart,
I am amazed, everything looks great. I need to come see your masterpiece in person one day soon. Looked at your thread today for the first time, you did an outstanding job. The xenia is gigantic. My only hope is my tank transfer goes as smoothly as yours did. Finally getting my tank next weekend. Our floors go in on Wed.

ReefStu
01/02/2006, 02:56 PM
Aaron,
Thanks, I am not finished with the cabinet yet but when it's done your welcome to come see it and pick up some zenia.
I might have a couple of hours if you need some help, my son has a soccer tournament but I might be able to find some time to help. Let me know.

Chelsey
01/02/2006, 03:08 PM
Absolutely awesome ReefStu! Are there any fish in it yet?

ReefStu
01/02/2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks Chelsey,
Before I answer your question I had one for you. Your intrests say photography and reefing yet there are no pic's in your gallery, why not?
Yes, I moved the fish from the 75G also. They are: 2 ocoleris clowns, 1 blue tang, 1 bi-color blenny (black and white), 1 six line wrasse, and another tang that I don't know the name for ( It is the same shape as a Chevron but different colors). Lot's of snails and hermits.
The fish came with the old tank I bought and they not the fish I would have chosen if I had started out myself. I plan on changing some of them out in the future. I will try to post some pics later today.

ReefStu
02/11/2006, 08:31 PM
Well it's been a while and I am finishing off the doors and shelves for the book case, I will post pic's tomorrow.

ficklefins
02/11/2006, 09:18 PM
I had my doubts at the start but you got me. I really like your aquascaping. By allowing a space in the middle you give the on looker two different perspectives. A person who sees two different sides, and another person who sees a vast sea beyond that middle area.

Very well done!

leeweber85
02/11/2006, 10:07 PM
This is so cool. How are you liking the size? What about flow? and if you don't mind me asking, about how much $ was the custom tank?

ReefStu
02/12/2006, 12:19 AM
Fickle, Thanks I wanted some relief instead of a full wall, I have a brain down in the middle right now so it not bare any more but I will probable move the brain right up to the side of one of the mountains.
Lee, The size is great my kids love sitting on the couch backwards and looking at the fish and I like how close the LR wall is and being able to see everything so close up. For flow the sump is pumped is pumped back up with 500 GPH split to both sides. I moved a power head in that had zenia on it and it is near the left end of the right mountain, always on. I added a small power head at the left side of the tank and it switches on and off randomly with a pn type timer. Flow is good, no cyno spots and all the coral seems very happy. The tank was $500 and they made it in a week,
Well the tank has been up for almost 3 months and all the coral and fish made it. The zenia is out of control and I am cutting 4-5 nice frags a week and getting $10 each store credit at the LFS. It is quite nice, I had another shop offer me $20 each but they are in LA and its a 1 1/2 drive I do once every other week for work so i'll take some next time and get some zoo or ric's.

leeweber85
03/25/2006, 08:40 PM
wow, that's a good amount of 'revenue' on the xenia frags.

It's been awhile, I have to ask for an update!

ReefStu
03/29/2006, 01:25 AM
Well I just finished the doors tonight and the stand is complete, sorry it took so long and I didn't post progress pic's I'll post some tomorrow. I think.

leeweber85
04/01/2006, 06:00 PM
ok, I'll be waiting.

your tank is like 2 -40g put together.. I think they should make this a standard size!

leeweber85
05/24/2006, 04:28 PM
Come on man show some pictures!