PDA

View Full Version : Tang safe Algae

AIMFish
11/20/2005, 05:57 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a macroalgae that tangs won't munch up. I have tried Bubble(Valonia(?sp), and grape. I have a tank w/ high nitrates and I would prefer using plants to get it down. Halmidea is the only one I could think of but I was thinking that was one of the harder ones to grow?

Samala
11/20/2005, 10:13 PM
You purposely introduced Valonia?! Really? So many people consider it a pest. I think you are onto a good start considering the calcerous macroalgae - Halimeda, Udotea, Pencillus, Neomeris. I would think their texture would make them rather unpalatable to most tangs. But, I dont have tangs so its hard to say so definitively.

It might be worthwhile to grow something very tasty - like Ulva - in a separate fuge and keep fronds of that in the tank to deter the tangs from preying upon the calcerous macros. Or... in fact.. just keep macros in the fuge away from the tangs if its a project you would consider worthwhile.

I havent found Halimeda to be problemental and dont often see people complaining about it. My problem child is Gracilaria! Those red macros just arent crazy about my tank conditions.

>Sarah

Seahorsewisprer
11/21/2005, 07:10 AM
The only one I have that my tangs won't eat is Halimeda and valonia. When I harvest from my planted tank, I feed it to them so I can recycle the nutrients!

I keep a piece of Nori on my magfloat whenever I look at my tanks so they can graze, but it's always gone the next time I look at it! Tangs need to eat continuosly...

AIMFish
11/21/2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replies and feel free to keep giving ideas!! It's a fish only tank so Valonia wouldn't really hurt anything. I get it for free and I figured the Tangs would eat it up any way. There's a Naso that's 12-14" and a 6-8" Sailfin. When I dumped the Valonia in the Naso started eating it like candy, it looked like he swallowed some whole!! They get fed Nori daily, a piece about 3x9", but a Lemonpeel and Yellow Eye help on that. It's an older tank, slate bottom, and I have changed some things up, and actually will be posting later looking for suggestions on that. There are 2 20 longs in the cabinet above the tank with overflos, so actually the 700 is the sump!! I'm thinking about using Rubbermaid Sweater boxes over the aquarium and making shallow fuges to grow the algae.