PDA

View Full Version : Fragging Rics

jlx4
12/07/2005, 07:40 PM
After looking at the rics I've had in the tank for at least 8 years, I thought I would try decreasing the congested growing space...They have split to a point to where none could really expand close to their size.

I attempted to pry four of them off (The ones on the bottom getting no light)...got'em off, (what a slimey mess that was) and attempted to reef glue them to some BAF discs..

This AM they were elsewhere in the tank, didn't look dead, although they should be considering what I did to them.

Any thoughts on better procedures? I'm sticking to button polyps and GSP, they're alot easier

Brock Fluharty
12/07/2005, 08:05 PM
Chisel a piece of the rock off, they're worth more that way lol.

km133688
12/07/2005, 10:29 PM
good point. If you have so many, chiseling them off rock is a great way to sell/trade/give away singles.

As for propping, I have read of three methods:

1) cut in half
2) cut off the top
3) use a razor and slice half way through and let them split natrually

a guy in our reef club uses some kind of medical instrument to pull mushrooms off rocks. Says he is successful 70% of the time. Sorry don't know what it was. good luck

Brock Fluharty
12/08/2005, 03:40 PM
I'll take some!

Unlikely_Hero
12/12/2005, 07:09 PM
A couple of methods I've discovered in my limited experience

- Tie a piece of twine snugly around the base of a head and gradually tighten it for a couple of days. It should let go by itself. I did this once to get a few rics out of range of an anemone.
- Tie a piece of twine snugly across the middle of a good-sized mushroom, preferrably one with multiple mouths. Within two or three days, it should split naturally. I've done this one a couple of times while trying to attatch a free-floating piece to rock.

I think the chisel methods probably easiest, though. I'm just too worried about moving the whole rock to do it.

eastcoastzigzag
12/19/2005, 12:14 PM
how bout a pic of this chisel.

coralfarm123
12/20/2005, 02:35 PM
Chisel or just cut them off at the base with clean sharp scissors and place in a container of rubble covered with bridal veil to attach. If you have a healthy tank, you should not have any problems with either method.

lessans
01/31/2006, 08:24 PM
I'd like to know more about fragging Rics also anybody else got any knowledge on this topic?

tinslms
02/01/2006, 11:44 PM
I've seen them detach within a day or 2 when in direct flow from a power head, even if it's not very strong.