PDA

View Full Version : feeding

fishieness
12/11/2005, 05:02 PM
i got a nice crocea on saterday night. How big should clams be before they no longer need constant feedings? This one is about 3.5 inches or so. Ive heard 2 and below need feedings, but im not sure.
i have him right on top under a 150 watt HQI and 2x65 watt PCs. Is that enough light where he wont need additional feedings?

mbbuna
12/11/2005, 06:10 PM
with the right lighting clams over 3" shouldnt need added feeding other then what they get from lighting. what K bulbs are the MH?

fishieness
12/11/2005, 06:11 PM
woops, sorry, i forgot to add that. The PCs are actinics and the MH is a 10K.... and seeing how that is a balance spectrum then mine should be in the clear correct?:D
thanks for the reply

mbbuna
12/11/2005, 06:14 PM
the 10k MH are just what the clam needs

fishieness
12/11/2005, 06:41 PM
yeah, i thought so

onemore thing.... HOW are you feeding your clams? I jsut tried some phyloplankton. put it in a dish with some tank water. mixed it all up, and then with a little pipette i gently injected it so it will go right over the clam. I thought it might like some feeding. It would sit there, then a bit later, it would retract, almost like it was spitting everything out. i dont think my arm was in the way of the light because all that was on were the actinics. My halide had jsut turned off. could it be that since it is just a new clam? He is open nicely even though it has been in there for about 24 hours.

mbbuna
12/11/2005, 06:54 PM
clams feed very slowly all day long, the dont like being force feed. if you feel you must feed them, take a small bowl of tank water and add just enough phyto to tint the water green and place the clam in there for about 20min.

fishieness
12/11/2005, 07:03 PM
once again, thanks for the help :)