PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Lifter Vacuum Pump

jdmara
12/12/2005, 08:24 PM
Has anyone ever used one of these? I would like to use one for my DIY PVC overflow

Aqua Lifter Vacuum Pump (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KTALP&ast=&key=)

want2reef
12/12/2005, 08:27 PM
I have been using one to drip kalk for a couple of months.

Kevin

jdmara
12/12/2005, 08:33 PM
are they made well? Had any problems? Do you think if I connected it to the top of my overflow it would keep the air out of the line? Thanks for the quite reply

WessB
12/12/2005, 08:45 PM
I have been using one for an auto top off for some 9 months with no problems at all..when I had my nano cube setup, I used one for exactly what you are saying...I slipped an air line from the bottom up to the top of my U tube to keep the air out and it worked fine, I had the output side of the tubing dumping back into the overflow chamber so I wouldn`t end up siphoning the tank ...HTH

Wess

trstange
12/12/2005, 08:45 PM
I use one for auto-topoff and have never had a problem.

want2reef
12/12/2005, 08:48 PM
I've had no probs. yet it has only been 2 months.

Kevin

jdmara
12/12/2005, 08:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6273036#post6273036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WessB
I have been using one for an auto top off for some 9 months with no problems at all..when I had my nano cube setup, I used one for exactly what you are saying...I slipped an air line from the bottom up to the top of my U tube to keep the air out and it worked fine, I had the output side of the tubing dumping back into the overflow chamber so I wouldn`t end up siphoning the tank ...HTH

Wess

So you "fish-ed" a tube up the pvc and sucked out the air? You didn't have it attached to the peak all the time?

WessB
12/12/2005, 09:00 PM
I used one of those clear acrylic u tubes and just stuck a piece of air line into the end of the U tube that was in the overflow box and fed enough of it in so that it went to the very top of the u tube and it kept all of the accumulated air out of the u tube...and by dumping the outlet of the pump back in to the same overflow box it could only draw the tank overflow down to the bottom of that part of the U tube and then would suck air...if that makes any sense...not attached to the peak..more like shoved up to the peak....

Wess

Galford
12/12/2005, 09:04 PM
I just ordered one myself - I figured for $12.00 how could I go wrong?
I'm going to use mine for an auto topoff. From what I understand they work great with the following overflows also:

One Piece Overflow (http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=78&HS=1)

Been thinking about picking one up myself and converting over from the traditional U tube.

trstange
12/12/2005, 09:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6273196#post6273196 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Galford
I just ordered one myself - I figured for $12.00 how could I go wrong?
I'm going to use mine for an auto topoff. From what I understand they work great with the following overflows also:

One Piece Overflow (http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=78&HS=1)

Been thinking about picking one up myself and converting over from the traditional U tube.

order the filter too, cheap insurance.

Galford
12/12/2005, 09:10 PM
I saw that but is it really worth if if all I am doing is dosing RO/DI? Other problem is I have already placed my order.... DOH!

jdmara
12/12/2005, 09:12 PM
I remember reading that people were having problems with those overflows. That is why I made my own. Can't remember where I read it though

Galford
12/12/2005, 09:15 PM
That would probably explain the price... Well I would do a search for some more information on the topic but search seems to be out of the question for those of us that aren't memebers or at least it has been for me for the last week.

trstange
12/12/2005, 09:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6273242#post6273242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Galford
I saw that but is it really worth if if all I am doing is dosing RO/DI? Other problem is I have already placed my order.... DOH!

I'll dose some kalk once in a while with my ro water. Like I said, cheap insurance. Can you call and have them add it?

Galford
12/12/2005, 09:25 PM
Already shipped this afternoon so I guess I'll catch an order with a member of the local club soon.

chrisguy
12/12/2005, 09:30 PM
My only caution on the aqua lifters is to check the hose connections. I am not blaming the pump as it was likely user error but one hose disconnected from my Aqua Lifter at 5:00am this past Sunday and I ended up with 6-8 gallons of water siphoned out into my dining room. I found it because my auto top off has an alarm when the reservoir is empty. That went off when the 6-8 gallons in the reservoir drained out. When the hose disconnected it fell down and started a siphon.

jdmara
12/12/2005, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6273345#post6273345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisguy
My only caution on the aqua lifters is to check the hose connections. I am not blaming the pump as it was likely user error but one hose disconnected from my Aqua Lifter at 5:00am this past Sunday and I ended up with 6-8 gallons of water siphoned out into my dining room. I found it because my auto top off has an alarm when the reservoir is empty. That went off when the 6-8 gallons in the reservoir drained out. When the hose disconnected it fell down and started a siphon.

What are you using your aqua lifer on?

Paul79936
12/12/2005, 09:59 PM
I use an air stone for a filter. It also helps keep the tubing at the bottom of the top off water reservoir.

roader247
12/12/2005, 10:22 PM
I used one for about a year on a CPR overflow with no problems

jdmara
12/12/2005, 10:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6273693#post6273693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by roader247
I used one for about a year on a CPR overflow with no problems

Do you get a lot of algae growth in the overflow?

scottfarcuz
12/12/2005, 10:43 PM
I've been topping off with kalk since early last spring with an aqualifter. I've had no problems, but I did clean it once.

sseaner
12/13/2005, 09:28 AM
They are great and cheap. The only advice is that if you are pumping Kalk to getthe filter. I use my to push water through my kalk reactor and it has worked well now for over a year.

szeth13
12/13/2005, 08:10 PM
one day for some reason my aqualiter decided that it wanted to blow out both sides and NOT suck in one and out the other. but it was pretty old

Lakeside518
12/13/2005, 08:49 PM
I just ordered one yesterday for my CPR over flow.. If you loose power will automatically prime overflow for you. I have an air line tubing running down from overflow into sump. After turning power off and back on it doesn't reprime. I have to suck on it and pull the air out.

Water trickles into sump and pulls and air that enters overflow out. Annoying and gotta be a better way!... --->> Get an Aqua Lifter!!!:)

sjm817
12/13/2005, 09:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6280269#post6280269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lakeside518
I just ordered one yesterday for my CPR over flow.. Annoying and gotta be a better way
There is. Get an overflow that doesn't need one!

manderx
12/14/2005, 10:28 AM
how much backpressure does it take to blow the hose connections? i'm making a kalk reactor for someone to drive with an aqualifter, and i'm just worried that the outlet from the reactor might clog sometime, and put backpressure on the aqualifter, and since it uses simple airline slips, it might pop off and then pump water all over the floor.

pelochas
12/14/2005, 10:38 AM
has anyone had an the pump to suck air out of TWO overflow tubes?
i have mine aqualifter and usually will keep one overflow tube going with no problems but the other goes dry. it just doesnt suck the air out of both tubes to keep both u tubes going.

reefdadx2
12/14/2005, 10:55 AM
Hey Manderex, you are also making a top off system with the aqualifter after reading the thread I am getting siked about it as it is for me. Hope to get the aqualifters today and waiting on the float switches. I will give you a call. This will be so much better for me and stable for my corals I am looking forward to it. you can check the new frags from Richmond and we can talk about my new lighting idea. You the man. Michael R

jdmara
12/14/2005, 06:19 PM
pelochas (or anyone for that matter)-

Do you have any pics of your setup?

Jill & Brian
12/14/2005, 06:55 PM
I am using one on my autotopoff that I set up a couple of weeks ago. It is pumping kalk, so I plan on cycling vinegar through it once a month to clean it

sjm817
12/14/2005, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6283291#post6283291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pelochas
has anyone had an the pump to suck air out of TWO overflow tubes?
i have mine aqualifter and usually will keep one overflow tube going with no problems but the other goes dry. it just doesnt suck the air out of both tubes to keep both u tubes going.
You should not need to suck air out of a U Tube. The flow though the tube should push all the bubbles through.

bergzy
12/14/2005, 07:02 PM
i have been using an aqualifter for over 18 months now with zero problems.

i use it for dripping a heavy kalk slurry into my tank. could care less about servicing the pump and just waiting for it to die. so far so good.

dont bother with the advised filter. it will just clog up and prevent anything from getting to it. $12 for an auto top off pump. even if it died once a year, it would take well over ten years to come close to some of those other dosers.

scottfarcuz
12/14/2005, 07:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6283232#post6283232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by manderx
how much backpressure does it take to blow the hose connections? i'm making a kalk reactor for someone to drive with an aqualifter, and i'm just worried that the outlet from the reactor might clog sometime, and put backpressure on the aqualifter, and since it uses simple airline slips, it might pop off and then pump water all over the floor.

I started using mine to top off with kalk and was controlling the drip with an airline needle type valve. After a few days the valve would clog completely, and push against the clog. The tubing never came off.

dkh0331
12/14/2005, 07:13 PM
I used one for about 8 months on a CPR for my old tank and have used it for two years as my kalk/top-off pump. As bergzy states, don't worry about the filter. I ran it for a month and it was alway clogging up. For my top off, whenever I make up my water (almost always) I run a vinegar thru it for a few moments. The pump has run well. When of the best $12 that I spent on my tank.

HTH

David

ReefWaters
01/26/2006, 10:20 AM
Does the pump prime itself? For an auto top off system, do you just put the input tube in the RO reservoir and the output above the sump, plug it (into the float switch) and forget it?

ctreefer
01/26/2006, 11:31 AM
I've been thinking about getting one of these as well for an auto top off. Are they noisy like some air pumps? Also, what kind of volume does it do per day?

thanks

trstange
01/26/2006, 02:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6592690#post6592690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWaters
Does the pump prime itself? For an auto top off system, do you just put the input tube in the RO reservoir and the output above the sump, plug it (into the float switch) and forget it?

They prime themselves. Just plug it in and forget it.

by ctreefer I've been thinking about getting one of these as well for an auto top off. Are they noisy like some air pumps? Also, what kind of volume does it do per day?

They are very quiet, the only time I hear mine is when my top-off bucket is empty. They can run dry without hurting themselves.