PDA

View Full Version : Light conditioning of clams.

Hammer
03/20/2002, 05:25 PM
I am starting to see some trends here with lighting and younger clams. I personally do not agree with some of these trends, or at least what they lead to.
There are a lot of stores and retailers keeping clams under PC/VHO lighting. And this makes sense on many different levels. It is cheaper. It puts less stress on clams trying to possibly adjust to too bright of light on too shallow of water. Did I mention it was cheaper?
This is easily done for the short term. Especially with feeding of the clams.
But my concern is at what point are we conditioning the clam to a certain light source that is not beneficial to the best health of the animal. This is especially true with very small clams. Sure, they do just fine under a much less intense light source, but at what point in the development are we adversely effecting how this clam will adjust to lighting?
Yes, small clams need more food then larger clams. And yes, small clams do not YET need the higher intensity lighting. But are we not conditioning the clam to limit it's light intake based on a limited amount of light?
While I do believe that growing small clams under it's future lighting is a great thing to try and make sure it's development it geared better towards what we as aquarists can provide. I think that lower lighting for small clams could be easily limiting future growth of the clam to be able to fully process a higher light source.
A few months ago I got a couple 1.5" gold maxs. I had them about 5" below water surface, with 250 watt Iwasakis about 4" over the water. Almost directly under the lights.
Over the next couple of months, they were showing excellent growth. And had very nice mantle extension. They were not hiding from the light at all. But one of the max's went so far as to 'gap' at all times the halide is on because the 'daughter' colonies of xoo are completely covering the inside bottom of the clam. If you look into the incurrent syphon, and straight down, you would be amazed at the colors and patterns. This clam obviously uses the light that it gets, and developed itself to obtain and use even more light.
And I would venture to state that this clam would not have had the same response to it's current environment if it was previously kept under weaker lighting. It adapted to a high intensity level of light. And I would venture it could adjust to higher or lower light levels from here, but it would seem that it would it would be most prosperous to keep the clam in it's current environment that it has obviously adapted to.
Would a clam kept under lower lighting levels be able to adapt later in life to higher lighting. I would say yes. But I would say that one grown under these conditions would be more able to adapt and prosper under higher lighting levels, and maybe do much better then the previous clam.
This is obviously oriented towards clams that require higher levels of light. But it would still seem to have an effect on clams that are usually seen in much lower lighting conditions if they are introduced to these lighting conditions when the clam is still developing it's tolerance and dependencies on light intensity and spectrum.
I have a small hippopus that has been kept under PC, VHO, and 6.5K MH and 14K (ish) MH. I will say that it actually responded better to being under the 6.5K MH lighting. It moved towards the light, and had good expansion without reaching. When put under 14K MH lighting, it was over expanding, trying to get more light. I at first found this odd because this clam should be more geared towards that spectrum and intensity. (A new Iwasaki Aqua 50K bulb).

So, what is my point in all these ramblings? It is that a clam should be introduced appropriately to both the light intensity and spectrum at the earliest possible stage in it's development. What better way do we have to try and insure that we are providing the best possible environment for there future?

So what are your thoughts, comments, criticisms to my opinions?

MiNdErAsR
03/20/2002, 06:25 PM
Hammer,
Excellent post. I couldn't agree with you more. This is why I never recommend anything but halide lighting, nothing less than 250w (except maybe for the more shallow tanks, i.e. nano). Of course whenever I do say "you really should have 250w halides, and PC/VHO aren't enough", I get beat up by all the people currently running PC/VHO over their clams (as they claim) "successfully".

jim norris
03/20/2002, 08:56 PM
Hammer,
WOW! let be rest for a moment. OK lets go! I have 150 baby maxs coming in. Lets get together and set up an experiment. I have vhos, pcs, nos, 150 10k hqi mh, 400 watt 65ks and 10ks. I think you have 250 mhs and 175??? I have tanks and all kinds of stuff. Lets see if lighting on baby maxs makes a difference. Or maybe better yet lets get other clam lovers involved. I am willing to give some babies to people who are interested in helping with this??? Also I have dts 30 oz bottles for feeding.
What do you think?
Jim

Hammer
03/20/2002, 09:57 PM
The one thing about experimenting with light, and especially with different people and different systems, is that, well, different systems. I would truly like to experiment with the same body of water, and different lighting.
The lights I have that I want to test with are, 150 watt MH, 175 watt MH, and 250 watt MH. I do not have 400 watt. and I don't think I can afford the electricity right now for that either. :)
And my main goal was to watch the development of the same batch of clams as they progress through different lighting 'themes'. Mainly ones that I are available in our market.
This is why I asked for the bulk of clams from you. I plan on hooking up an extra tank to my system for clams only. And have a peristaltic pump run a timed drip system of phytoplex. And also feed DTs on a regular basis as well. I planning on starting these babies off under a 175 watt 10K AB bulb in a 12" deep tank. And I already have a shelf built to make different levels for the clams so I can keep them at different intensities.
One more reason I WANT to get my hands on a sub LUX meters to record just what intensity the clams are TRULY getting.

Ah, I could go on and on about this. But we can save that for later.

Suffice it to say that I feel that saying that people can get away with non sufficient lighting is damaging the development of the clams.

And Jim, please do email on the babies. I really want to put my opinions to the test, and see if maybe I can help some other people out as well.

toptank
03/21/2002, 12:49 AM
Have read several thread on clams and some people swear that they have had clams under PC for years and showed growth.

No doubt that the higher wattage lamps with the proper spectrum will help in the developement and colouration of the clam.

Introducing a very small clam to high intense lighting can also be damaging as their symbiotic alga hasn't developed enough. We tend to stress intense lighting so often then someone that has never had a clam before, throws it under 400watters.

I understand that there is some research going on at the Univerity of Hawaii on clams. It will be interesting to see what there finding are. I will check and see what I can find out.

Very good thread Hammer :)

Barry

Hammer
03/21/2002, 09:43 AM
Introducing a very small clam to high intense lighting can also be damaging as their symbiotic alga hasn't developed enough.

It is that a clam should be introduced appropriately to both the light intensity and spectrum at the earliest possible stage in it's development

Yes, I agree with you. This is one of my points of curiosity. At what point do we expose the clams to bright intense lighting? Are they not under the sunlight at all times anyway? I feel that we should watch the clams, they will most likely tell us what they want. And usually the development has usually already taken a larger leap around the 1" in shell length, (if I remember Knopp correctly, need to recheck that).
I think that at least in spectrum, we should try and acclimatize the clams at the earliest age we can get them, the intensity to follow at their age of development. Unfortunately it seems that 1" is about the smallest we can get these clams, so we have already missed an important stage in the development cycle that is in regards to lighting. But it would easily seem that this is still young enough to let the clams make adjustments to lighting that we commonly have available in our market.