PDA

View Full Version : Is there any chance?

jamesdawson
12/19/2005, 12:35 PM
Hey Roger,

Is there any chance that Tunze will ever bring to market an aquarium controller like the IKS Aquastar or the Aquatronica or Aquacontroller?

I ask this because all those high-end sophisticated computers cannot integrate Tunze (electronic controllable) streams or waveboxes into their wavemaking programs unless I am mistaken?

It would be really kick-butt if Tunze came out with a similar controller that had the functions of a 7095 and 6091 controllers integrated into its electronics for seamless controlling of water movement along with lights, probes, etc.

Please say yes!

James

rvitko
12/19/2005, 12:55 PM
I believe their is an IKS controller that can run the Streams with some modification. We are always working on new products, in fact I submitted a new idea last week for a product. The problem is we tend to have so many new products that it is hard to do them all and their are often times dead ends. In the case of my new idea it is unlikely it will be introduced in the next development cycle despite my begging, just because so much time is required to finish projects already under way. The controller market is a difficult one because that market for top end complete control systems is very small and most companies that make them cut corners to make a $500 price point and we have been opposed to doing that (plastic vs glass electrodes and not being complete). They told me in the past they had developed such a unit when Norbert ran the company and he said it was foolish because one piece of damaged equipment could wipe out everything and multiple independent systems were safer. We now believe technology has improved to the point it could be reliable but would people pay $1000 for a top of the line control system, at least a couple hundred sales would be needed to justify the development. You also have the problem of constant advances, we could wait a couple years and much better technology would exist. In the early 90's Dupla had a complete controller called the Alpha and it used an old Macintosh/Motorola 68000 series processor, it failed because it was so expensive. I also know we would absolutely reject wireless technology, it is not reliable for something critical, so that might make us look old fashioned. You can kind of see the quandry, the money would be more productively spent on other products as would the time and unless we can really make it so much better than anybody else is it worth doing. We have given it a lot of thought though and will continue to and maybe someday.

jamesdawson
12/19/2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful answer.

If you only need to sell 200 to justify the product, then I am sure you would have no problem reaching this benchmark in very short order considering the number of people running your waveboxes and/or 7095 controlled streams (with the attendant price).

In other words, people who have already forked out big bucks for the best in water motion technology will step up and pay for a high quality controller that ties it all together in a small, neat package of the quality that Tunze is so famous for!

I'm sure we could even get a pre-order together here on R.C. if Tunze was to commit--IMHO.

James

p.s. My 9020 is still producing 350 mg of very dark skimate every 1-3 days on full plankton-safe mode!

cwegescheide
12/19/2005, 04:17 PM
Especially when a reefkeeper sits there and adds up how much of an investment they have in that box of water.. hmmm.. 40 - 50 sps @ ~ 50 each (conservative estimate)

1K in lighting
1K in Tunze's
1K in tank
1K in stand
1K in reactor/skimmer

A heck whats another K ;)

rvitko
12/19/2005, 05:21 PM
We will discuss it at our next meeting I am sure. Thanks for your help and input.

jamesdawson
12/21/2005, 12:20 PM
Cool!

If you guys do move in this direction, please solicit input from us about what is essential as well as what else would be good to include.

James

rvitko
12/21/2005, 12:45 PM
I will, I try to do this but for the most part we try to keep development confidential until we are ready to unveil a product, this industry like most is very competitive and their is the risk tipping off your competition and we generally like to stay comfortably ahead. I will try to get permission though to be more open about this development and FWIW, I do read RC extensively and try absorb the input and feedback on all products to help with design so to that extent we do value input.

jamesdawson
12/21/2005, 01:59 PM
Market Research:rollface:

James