PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy Dowflake in So Cal

dc_909
12/19/2005, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy Dowflake locally? I tried all the local fish stores and the only company I know that sells it, only sells to other businesses.

PsychoKnight
12/23/2005, 08:28 PM
Uh, why do you want Dowflake in particular?

Its great for melting snow on sidewalks and pavement, but . . . ?

If you need calcium chloride, all pool supply stores carry hardness enhancers - usually 97% anhydrous calcium chloride w/ 3% moisture content (and no other ingredient). You can get a 8 lb bucket for $14, enough to raise 6,000 gallons by 100ppm. Use 2-1/2 cups to 1 gal r/o water as dosing solution. I don't know why I ever bought "reef" calcium additives.

If you need a two-part additive, make a separate batch of baking soda solution. Restaurant supply stores like Smart & Final have their generic brand of 10 lbs for $4. Use 2-1/4 cups per gal, but first spread it on a cookie sheet (dry) and bake for about an hr to drive out the moisture & CO2.

Don't forget magnesium, 64 oz of epsom salt to 2 gal solution. Use this in equal parts to the above. Keep all 3 solutions separate, adding in dispersed/high flow areas.

This is stolen from Randy's Homemade Two-Part recipes on ReefKeeping online.

Bebo77
12/24/2005, 09:28 AM
^ nice

drake66
12/24/2005, 12:30 PM
very nice, I might have to try this sometime while, before I get that MRC reactor going, thanks again

kusanagiz
12/24/2005, 01:01 PM
is there a measurement for how much you add on a daily basis? x number of tsp for x number of gallons?

PsychoKnight
12/31/2005, 10:11 AM
The recipe duplicates the concentrations in Kent Turbo Calcium if you reduce the amount of nearly pure calcium chloride (such as pool versions, 97%, other 3% is water) to only 2 cups per gallon ro water. You can sneak a peak at the dosage instructions on a jar of Kent Turbo Calcium, or if a member reading this uses Kent TC, perhaps they could post dosage quantities. I dose just for occasional corrections and then mostly rely on kalk evap replenishment to keep the levels stable, testing weekly. Just remember once you acheive calc/alk/mag balance, to apply both calc and alk in equal parts.

Correction for the magn mix using epsom salts; 64oz (8cups) e-salt will make a 1 gal stock solution, but your only supposed to use 2-1/2 cups of this solution for each gal of part 1 & 2 you consume. This gets confusing.

So, to keep things simple, I recommend you use only 10 oz of e-salt per 1 gal. This allows you to dose mag in the same equal parts as calc and alk. Mag isn't as important and won't throw calc or alk off balance so you don't need to dose it everytime you dose parts 1 & 2, but it could be more of a hassle to keep track of how many times you dose calc/alk without magn, then to add enough to make up for missed doses.

Drug stores usually carry epsom salt for usually less than $3 for 4 lbs.

NicoleC
12/31/2005, 10:36 AM
Reef Chemistry Calculator:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

PsychoKnight
12/31/2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks, Nicole !

Kenfuzed
01/02/2006, 11:57 AM
I bought a small tub of that calcium (spa hardness enhancer) at Leslie's Pool Supply. It is packaged as their own brand. Just make sure you check the ingredient label to make sure it only contains anhydrous calcium and moisture.

dc_909
01/02/2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks

kusanagiz
01/02/2006, 12:13 PM
this is a great reference thread.

now i just need something as good for a diy kalk mix n' drip. :D

SuperNerd
09/25/2006, 08:08 PM
PsychoKnight: How do you recommend storing the epsom salt, baking soda, and anhydrous CaCl2 so that they don't generate so much heat?

PsychoKnight
09/26/2006, 06:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8221032#post8221032 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SuperNerd
PsychoKnight: How do you recommend storing the epsom salt, baking soda, and anhydrous CaCl2 so that they don't generate so much heat?

How many cups is 10 oz and is this also added to a separate container with RO water like the baking soda and CaCl2?

Don't add RO to the material. Measure a gallon in a bucket, then add the material slowly, stirring moderately. Once mixed, transfer to a any regular storage bottle, even a milk bottle will do, but let it cool a little first. I just re-use old two-part bottles because its easier to dose. The same amount of heat generated, but its dissipated as opposed to adding RO to the material, the heat is concentrated in a small amount of liquid.

10 oz is 1-1/4 cup. Not sure if epsom salt generates significant heat (don't think so), but my practice is always mix powder into water rather than reverse, so I don't notice any heat issues.

I always wear a dust mask and eye protection from mixing caustic chemicals. I recommend the same. You don't want to be choking on calcium chloride powder inhaled while measuring or mixing the stuff - once it gets wet with moisture in your lungs, you'll be trying to cuss, but can't, instead you'll be fumbling to dial 911.

dc_909
09/26/2006, 08:43 AM
Kenfuzed,

Just another thanks. I ended up buying the same stuff @ Leslies pool supply. I have been using my homemade 2 part for a year with great results.

By the way, the tub will last a long time.

SuperNerd
09/26/2006, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8223149#post8223149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PsychoKnight
Don't add RO to the material. Measure a gallon in a bucket, then add the material slowly, stirring moderately. Once mixed, transfer to a any regular storage bottle, even a milk bottle will do, but let it cool a little first. I just re-use old two-part bottles because its easier to dose. The same amount of heat generated, but its dissipated as opposed to adding RO to the material, the heat is concentrated in a small amount of liquid.

10 oz is 1-1/4 cup. Not sure if epsom salt generates significant heat (don't think so), but my practice is always mix powder into water rather than reverse, so I don't notice any heat issues.

I always wear a dust mask and eye protection from mixing caustic chemicals. I recommend the same. You don't want to be choking on calcium chloride powder inhaled while measuring or mixing the stuff - once it gets wet with moisture in your lungs, you'll be trying to cuss, but can't, instead you'll be fumbling to dial 911.

Thanks! But in terms of storing the non-mixed, powder forms you buy from the stores...do you recommend pouring the powders into sealed buckets or just leaving them in the bags/containers they were originally packaged in?

Sohal11
09/26/2006, 01:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6347496#post6347496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PsychoKnight
Uh, why do you want Dowflake in particular?

Its great for melting snow on sidewalks and pavement, but . . . ?

If you need calcium chloride, all pool supply stores carry hardness enhancers - usually 97% anhydrous calcium chloride w/ 3% moisture content (and no other ingredient). You can get a 8 lb bucket for $14, enough to raise 6,000 gallons by 100ppm. Use 2-1/2 cups to 1 gal r/o water as dosing solution. I don't know why I ever bought "reef" calcium additives.

If you need a two-part additive, make a separate batch of baking soda solution. Restaurant supply stores like Smart & Final have their generic brand of 10 lbs for $4. Use 2-1/4 cups per gal, but first spread it on a cookie sheet (dry) and bake for about an hr to drive out the moisture & CO2.

Don't forget magnesium, 64 oz of epsom salt to 2 gal solution. Use this in equal parts to the above. Keep all 3 solutions separate, adding in dispersed/high flow areas.

This is stolen from Randy's Homemade Two-Part recipes on ReefKeeping online.

Since you have done it before, can I just buy all the ingredients and have you do it? :D :D :D

I think it is neat that you can make your own. I failed my chemistry class so I don't have the gut or the courage to do it eventhough the instruction is all there.

SuperNerd
09/26/2006, 02:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8225599#post8225599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sohal11
Since you have done it before, can I just buy all the ingredients and have you do it? :D :D :D

I think it is neat that you can make your own. I failed my chemistry class so I don't have the gut or the courage to do it eventhough the instruction is all there.

No kidding :lmao: I'm asking a lot of questions because I'm trying to be so careful with the home made stuff. It's hard not to be tempted though because the brand names are so expensive in comparison!

SuperNerd
09/26/2006, 03:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6347496#post6347496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PsychoKnight

Which store did you find a 10 lb bag for $4? The ones I've called sell a 5 lb bag for $4.79.

SuperNerd
09/26/2006, 03:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6405240#post6405240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kenfuzed
I bought a small tub of that calcium (spa hardness enhancer) at Leslie's Pool Supply. It is packaged as their own brand. Just make sure you check the ingredient label to make sure it only contains anhydrous calcium and moisture.

Just called them. The person over the phone said that in the Leslie's Pool Supply brand there is 94-97% anhydrous CaCl2, 3% water and less than 3% (he said "negative 3%") potassium chloride and sodium chloride. Is the potassium chloride and sodium chloride going to affect anything?

mesocosm
09/26/2006, 04:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8226210#post8226210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SuperNerd
... Is the potassium chloride and sodium chloride going to affect anything? Both KCl and NaCl have the potential to alter salinity upwards over time (depending on dosage) ... but at ~3%, nothing that couldn't be easily monitored and corrected.

The discussion as to whether or not KCl has the ability to affect anthozoan coloration and/or metabolic pathways continues to evolve .. but the jury is still out.

JMO
:thumbsup:

SuperNerd
09/26/2006, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8226526#post8226526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mesocosm
Both KCl and NaCl have the potential to alter salinity upwards over time (depending on dosage) ... but at ~3%, nothing that couldn't be easily monitored and corrected.

The discussion as to whether or not KCl has the ability to affect anthozoan coloration and/or metabolic pathways continues to evolve .. but the jury is still out.

JMO
:thumbsup:

Sweet. Thanks for the input. :) Do brand name "reef" solutions also have these KCl and NaCl remnants in them?