PDA

View Full Version : Any one using the Dr DAQ type controller

windgod
12/23/2005, 09:11 AM
was cruising the net for an alternate control, I. E. plc control or something like that. was having a problem with the temp and the PH.

Then I found this program called Dr. Aquarium it uses a small pico board and x-10 interface.

looks like it would work well but wanted to see if any body out there was using it now and what they thoght, I figured that the whole controller with sensors and x-10's would be around 500.00,

which is allot cheaper then the plc or popular controllers on the market now

thanks
Rick

hotrod122
12/23/2005, 04:32 PM
for less then $500 you could get a aquacontroller 2 with a dc8 power box and temp and ph probes.

Donw
12/23/2005, 09:21 PM
Depends on what you want to do. Aquacontroller is very limited when it come to automation. PlC's can do just about anything but you do need to get a transmitter for ph. The one you mentioned is pc based, I thought. Personally I wouldnt trust a pc and x10 to run a reef. Its ok for household lights but can be pretty unreliable.

Don

hotrod122
12/23/2005, 09:24 PM
im not using x-10.. i am using the DC8 units.. 8 controlled pluggins on one box..works REALLY well.

Donw
12/23/2005, 09:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6347780#post6347780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hotrod122
im not using x-10.. i am using the DC8 units.. 8 controlled pluggins on one box..works REALLY well.

Dr.Aquarium mentioned in the origonal post is x10. The aqua controller hardwired is reliable just very limited when it comes to automation.

Don

windgod
12/24/2005, 12:10 PM
Hot rod, buy the time you get the software and x-10s it is well over 500.00 and what is a dc8 unit?? do you have a pic

hotrod122
12/29/2005, 06:28 PM
WOW!.. where are you looking for prices???

neptunesystems.com has package prices as well as marine depot...in fact.. marine depot is running a reef central special right now for the AC II at i think around $206 or something.

Gordonious
08/08/2006, 07:32 PM
windgod did you end up buying anything? I am looking to do something simular it sounds like. Though I was hoping to monitor more, pH and temp are the two big things I'm focused on.

I am on a quest to have my PC monitor the humidity and temp of my room, as well as the pH, temp, and salinity of my salt system.(Calcium, Nitrate, and possibly more in the future) I have been planning on doing this for sometime now and recently I have been having a big problem determining the pH of my reef tank.

Right now I am looking at finding a serial or USB DAQ with several ports on it for different probes. Though thing is finding one which doesn’t require a programming degree to get it working with a PC. To begin with I just want to get the information on the screen. In the future I hope to stream the data, and perhaps some graphs, to my website as well as setting up alerts which could send me text messages, turn on/off x10 devices, or both.

Gordonious
09/07/2006, 10:39 PM
Not a single soul has ever used a Dr. DAQ device??? I've been looking all over. Every post people seem to just be told to buy aquacontroller. I guess when it comes down to it there is no one that has the same needs as I in getting the information on a PC.