PDA

View Full Version : PopEye

Saltclover4
12/30/2005, 02:05 PM
I have a domino damsel and its eye is poping out of his head only the right eye is though is there any way to treat this and what causes it

Rick Fish
12/30/2005, 03:52 PM
No, its a bacteria. I would keep an EYE on your other fish, if you have any. It can spread to other fish. It is caused by poor water quality or an infection. You can try using antibacterial treatments and doing 10-25%water changes twice a week. I help this helps, if you have any more questions you can PM me.

Rick

Puffer Queen
12/30/2005, 11:26 PM
Usually popeye in one eye is not bacterial. It is often caused by injury and/or supersaturation of the water.

Bilateral popeye is usually bacterial.

I would move the fish to QT as the swelling could be a source of other fish to pick on it. Maintain good water quality and feed the damsel good variety of food with vitamins and beta glucan to boost the immune system to avoid secondary opportunistic pathogens. Here is a good thread on catching your damsel: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...threadid=707656

There are many threads on popeye. If the search is busy, try changing the posts/threads to a greater number of days. Here is a recent one with links:http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=736430

Best of luck.

Kelly

ernestlives
01/05/2006, 04:41 PM
is "supersaturation" high salinity?

Puffer Queen
01/05/2006, 05:14 PM
Supersaturation refers to the aquarium water being high in nitrogen gas that has been forced into the water by a pump that is "sucking air".

High salinity is hypersalinity.

Hope this clarifies things.

Any updates Saltclover4?

Kelly

cagys
01/17/2006, 09:24 AM
Hi all,

Concerning the super-saturation version of popeye... how long could that condition last?

My situation is: I have a juv. red coris wrasse with pop in one eye. He developed it within a couple of weeks of his 'moving in'. Its a 180 gal with a TON of rock, etc so I counted out removal to a qt. There are many other fish in there too, but I figured he would probably die in a few days and I was going to have to let nature take its course.

That was 4 or 5 months ago. He still has popeye. None of the other fish do or ever have. He seems perfectly healthy other than his poor little eye. He eats great, breathes great, and swims around picking at the rock all day.

What should/can I do about this?

Thanks,
Fred