PDA

View Full Version : PM disease waiting period?

d4a2n0k
01/02/2006, 04:27 PM
My tank is now officially wiped out of clams due to the pinched mantle disease. My last clam, a Derasa, held on for 3 months longer than the other clams and fresh water dips did nothing to help it, unfortunately. All this because I just HAD to get this one clam that I saw. I lost 4 clams total including a Ultra Crocea and a 9" Gold Tear-Drop Maxima.

Now that the last clam has passed, is there a safe waiting period before I can add new clams without worrying about them coming down with PM?

mbbuna
01/02/2006, 06:30 PM
sorry to hear that. i would wait at least 2 or 3 months. make sure you QT everything befor you put it in the tank

d4a2n0k
01/03/2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks, yeh thats what I figured, a few months.

I assume no more information on PM?

mbbuna
01/03/2006, 01:54 PM
i haven't heard anything new. One person that i talked too said they were going to do some test with different meds. seems to have lost interest, and another that was going to do test and write an article on it is no longer here.

Sizzlers
01/07/2006, 01:19 AM
I thought I had this going on with my derasa today but when i was a bout to fresh dip it I found two small aptasia on the edge near mantle.. D'oh I'll get em tomarow and see if that is what the problem was.

anyone else have this happen?

mbbuna
01/07/2006, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6443267#post6443267 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sizzlers
I thought I had this going on with my derasa today but when i was a bout to fresh dip it I found two small aptasia on the edge near mantle.. D'oh I'll get em tomarow and see if that is what the problem was.

anyone else have this happen?

[welcome]

yes apitaisa well do that. if you use Joes juice or kalk to remove it, be careful not to get any on the clam.

Sizzlers
01/07/2006, 10:11 AM
what is joes juice? I just used a small brush to get them off as I am trying to get my dKH and calcium in ballance so no kalk for a while just calcium chloride for now.

mbbuna
01/07/2006, 10:43 AM
its a product sold just to get rid of apitasia, but its pretty much just kalk past. can you take a knife and just cut them off? you do know that if you grind or shred apitaisa the each cell can and most of the time will turn into it own apitasia.